Schoolboy signs for big money (Not Manly related)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
MOST schoolchildren would consider themselves lucky to get $10 a week to spend at the tuckshop - but 16-year-old rugby league sensation Greg Waddell has signed a deal with Penrith under which he will earn $100,000 before he finishes school.

Waddell's manager, Alan Gainey, who also looks after Melbourne superstar Greg Inglis, said last night that his client's deal would make him the richest schoolboy rugby league player in history.

"It would have to be the biggest deal for a schoolkid," Gainey said.

"I had Inglis, too, but he was a bit older.

"I think it is fair to say there has never been this must interest in a kid.

"I had every NRL club making inquiries about him."

Penrith won the race to secure the young centre, considered to be the hottest young talent in the country, signing Waddell yesterday on a deal that could earn him $500,000 by the end of 2010.

The St Dominic' s Year 11 student hasn't played a junior Jersey Flegg match yet, but that didn't stop every club in the NRL from chasing his signature.

One Sydney club is understood to have offered Waddell a contract worth $150,000 a year.

The Australian Schoolboys star said in his first interview that he was "stoked" he wouldn't have to work, and he hoped to crack the NRL next year.

"I am a Penrith junior so it's great to be staying," Waddell said.

"It's where I started off, and they have helped me along the way.

"I don't have to work or nothing any more, so I will help look after my parents and nan."

Storm recruitment officer Peter O'Sullivan, a nationally respected judge of talent, described Waddell as one of the best young players he had seen.

"He is that good, he will be a superstar," O'Sullivan said.

"He is as good as any I have seen and right at the top of the pile.

"Body shape, weight, size, it is all very good.

"Every club would have been interested. It is good work by the Panthers keeping him."

Penrith coach Matt Elliott said Waddell could play in the NRL next year.

"It is very good news for the club," Elliott said.

"We are really lucky because Greg represents some of the exciting talent we have.

"He is probably the modern prototype player.

"Physically, he is a great athlete. He is a fantastic trainer and already has some leadership qualities.

"He has just got a great game awareness."

Great ethic for a young man to have before he even finishes school: "The Australian Schoolboys star said in his first interview that he was "stoked" he wouldn't have to work, "

A lot of fuss (and dough) for someone who is yet to prove he is up to it. Many with his talent have not made it.

A lot of fuss (and dough) for someone who is yet to prove he is up to it. Many with his talent have not made it.

True, but even so I'd be pretty bloody happy to hear the Storm's recruitment officer speaking that highly about Keiran Foran or Mitch Jowett or some of the other Manly juniors. That guy is the best in the business, and for him to think that highly of the kid....it's not a bad sign at all.

Also, I really doubt the contract would be a 100k base or anything like that. It'll be incentive based. He'd get a 40k base or something, and extra cash based on whether he plays first grade next year and things like that. Certainly appears to be a really good one to have on the books.

Also, quite interesting to read Matt Elliot's comments regarding this kid and then reading his Big League column....

This Waddell fella is only 16, but Elliot is saying that he might be playing NRL within a year? Yet in his Big League column he wants to "ban teens from top grade" saying that the only way to stop player burnout is to make a rule saying that you can only play in the NRL after you turn 20. I really don't think that he is planning on waiting till Waddell turns 20 before giving him a crack at first grade....

Great ethic for a young man to have before he even finishes school: \"The Australian Schoolboys star said in his first interview that he was \"stoked\" he wouldn't have to work, \"

All school kids in penrith says the same - I left school and won't have to work again.

It is further evidence that we cannot compete with the money being offered by the big clubs and can expect to continue to lose out good younger players until we get a leagues club that churns out money to spend these sort of amounts.

It is good for the Panthers to sign and nurture this young prospect. If he becomes a star at 20, it will be just in time for him to sign big bucks to go to the Roosters!!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4