Scariest players - Now & Then

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’m terms of legal tackles apart from the usual legendary suspects slightly lesser lights in the more modern era like Charlie Frith( biggest hitter I ever saw) Terry Regan,Dean Lance, Joe Thomas , Peter Kelly ,Matt Rua ( plenty illegal too!) Ronny Gibbs , Ian Roberts ,Axe Gilmeister , Nigel Plumb and Wally Fullerton Smith certainly cut a few guys in half. Fullerton Smith in particular had the entire Brisbane comp in the early 80s( which was incredibly strong in that period) running scared.
Yes Gator could certainly cut people in half.

Les Boyd.

Didn't no right from wrong and clearly had no off button. Seen him play many times post NRL he was just MAD.

Can add a few others Steve Kneen, Steve Hage, the legendary "Ned" Kelly & Rex Mossop.

Wouldn't imagine any modern player even putting their head in a scrum in the 60's or 70's. Can you imagine Cameron Smith lining up against John Gray or George Piggins Or Thrower or Ron Hilditch.

Mark Broadhurst was a scary looking ugly bastard and Steve Bowden can vouch for that.
He was scary enough before the 2 Liverpool Kisses Bowden put on.....like a dropped pie with extra sauce after that clash....
Just a kid those days and when the fight busted out I was listening on radio....Broadhurst was touted as some heavyweight boxing champ, so thought he would woop em....but theres no gloves on the footy field and it was anything go's, beaten to a pulp....Boyd got a few of em which was good....and though I was pi**ed off with the loss in the fight and game, that Broadhurst was gutsy to play on after that hammering.

You can’t leave out Kerry Hemsly....I always imagined he just rode his Harley into Leichhardt in his playing gear and just run on and bashed blokes. Geoff Robinson was another scary dude, reminded me of Animal the crazed drummer from the muppets.

The entire 1984-1985 dogs pack was just scary to watch. Brutal with a hunting pack approach.

Agree re Terry Regan and Geoff "Wildman" Robinson - absolute lunatics that were extremely entertaining to watch.

Kapow has no mongrel since his brand Kapow inception @:cool:

Manly needs to unearth another crazy mofo like Igor or Spud ASAP :wait:

AFB is the closest one at Manly to take on the role :nod:
I remember Kapow’s first year with us, he was a bit of a tough nut but then copped a couple of suspensions and went back into his shell.
If there is a non-established forward from another club I would love to get, it would be Hetherington from the Panthers. He is raw and loves belting them in defence. He gives away a few stupid penalties but that raw aggression can’t be taught.

Peter " Rhino " Ryan for the Broncs was a fairly intimidating player . Mark Geyer was a bit of a wild child for a while , Some of those Kiwi forwards like Wiki and Kevin Tamati had that type of aggression . Would have been hard to go past big John ' Lurch ' O" Neill for Manly and before that Kevin Ryan as front runners for intimidation however ..

I remember Kapow’s first year with us, he was a bit of a tough nut but then copped a couple of suspensions and went back into his shell.
If there is a non-established forward from another club I would love to get, it would be Hetherington from the Panthers. He is raw and loves belting them in defence. He gives away a few stupid penalties but that raw aggression can’t be taught.
This is the Kapow we need back >:)

Les Boyd.

Didn't know right from wrong and clearly had no off button. Seen him play many times post NRL he was just MAD.

Can add a few others Steve Kneen, Steve Hage, the legendary "Ned" Kelly & Rex Mossop.

Wouldn't imagine any modern player even putting their head in a scrum in the 60's or 70's. Can you imagine Cameron Smith lining up against John Gray or George Piggins Or Thrower or Ron Hilditch.

You can’t leave out Kerry Hemsly....I always imagined he just rode his Harley into Leichhardt in his playing gear and just run on and bashed blokes. Geoff Robinson was another scary dude, reminded me of Animal the crazed drummer from the muppets.
Geoff Robinson scared the crap out of me as a youngen in a unabomber kinda way!

The whole Western suburbs pack scared me in the seventies.

Attachments

• BAD90945-92B9-416E-A6DA-551DED11FE60.jpeg
    BAD90945-92B9-416E-A6DA-551DED11FE60.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 8
The whole Western suburbs pack scared me in the seventies.
Some of those behind the scenes face slapping episodes with Roy Masters in Command were great to see, fired up most vs Manly of course, always reminds me of Randall cleaning up Dallas !!
Wests players actually broke out into fights pre game in the sheds and there were games they ran onto the field with blood all over the jerseys and claret from the nose/mouth.....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6