SBW stops short of Bulldogs appology

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
Ian McCullough AAP:

More than four years after walking out on Canterbury, Sonny Bill Williams refused to offer an apology to the club after being unveiled as a Sydney Roosters player on Tuesday.

The World Cup-winning All Black will turn out for the Roosters for the 2013 campaign having agreed a lucrative one-season contract with the NRL club.

Williams admitted he only agreed to come back to the game he controversially quit midway through the 2008 season because he was honouring an agreement made with Roosters chairman Nick Politis three years ago.

However, he was less forthcoming when asked whether he should say sorry to the Bulldogs and their supporters for his actions, which stunned the game when he boarded a flight to London to sign for French club Toulon - 48 hours before his side was due to face St George Illawarra.

"Today is about me signing with the Roosters and that's what I'm going to stick to," Williams told a packed media conference on Tuesday.

"There will probably be a time and place and we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

Williams, whose right shoulder was in a sling following surgery for an injury sustained during his $1 million stint with Japanese rugby outfit Panasonic last month, said he was unconcerned about any possible backlash from rival supporters next year.

"I can't dwell on negatives. I have a one-year deal with the Roosters and there is big pressure," he said.

"I have to get my shoulder right, and if I dwell on all the negatives then I won't be able to sleep at night."

Asked to respond to claims from former Bulldogs teammate Hazem El Masri that he should not be allowed to return to the NRL, Williams said:

"Haz is entitled to his opinion and that's all I have to say."

Williams has enjoyed great success in rugby over the last two years, helping the All Blacks win the 2011 Rugby World Cup, then the Chiefs to a first Super Rugby crown this year.

He also embarked on a boxing career, which he will put on hold during the NRL season, but hopes to get back in the ring before joining up with his new teammates in February - less than a month before the season kicks off.

However, the 27-year-old said he would have to prove himself worthy of a place in the Roosters back-row and admitted it would be a big challenge for him to continue where he left off when he last played league, having been an outside back in rugby.

"I'd love to say I'll slide straight in and pick it up straight away but it's going to a tough challenge," he said.

"The biggest challenge will be the contact area. I was out wide kicking stones sometimes with the pretty boys in the backs.

"It'll be tough if I move back into the forwards. There's going to be some big boys running my way."

"A lot of people will be writing me off. Every time I step on that field there will probably be a target on me. I'll have to use my twinkle toes a bit."

One obstacle that could hinder Williams' progress is the NRL's plans to outlaw the shoulder charge.

Williams was the best exponent of the art during his time with the Bulldogs, and in the most delicious of ironies, the man chairing the shoulder charge review committee is new Roosters CEO Brian Canavan.

"I've talked to him about that and told him to go easy," Williams quipped.

I wish him, the roosters, the bulldogs and the all blacks no success whatsoever.

I read a lot about this 'handshake' agreement but nothing about why he feels it's so important to honour a handshake agreement but not honour the signed, sealed, and legal contract he had with the dogs.

But then I think he'll just be another regularly injured wanna be like his first stint in the nrl and also I care not.

I like SBW for what he did to the Dogs. He's a man of integrity in my books. He didn't like the Bulldogs cheating and dirty ways, so he bailed. Good man.

Volley said:
I like SBW for what he did to the Dogs. He's a man of integrity in my books. He didn't like the Bulldogs cheating and dirty ways, so he bailed. Good man.

No he bailed on his mates when they were doing it tough.

You hate for the Dogs is fine but mates don't let mates down.

Because Sonny Bill will not play for the mighty MWSE I couldn't care less if he succeeds or not in his 2nd rugby league stint. However, I am enjoying the crying & gnashing of teeth from some Bulldogs supporters :D

No crying from this supporter, Game has changed since he last played, plenty of big mobile men to sort him out, He is already a chance of missing round 1 and may even be a little tentative when he does make his comeback.

Love the presser when he said Rugby is still his passion.

Guzzler said:
Volley said:

No he bailed on his mates when they were doing it tough.

You hate for the Dogs is fine but mates don't let mates down.

Agree with your sentiment, but at the Dogs they aren't and never were his team mates, they are work collegues or coworkers.

SBW did no more to the Dogs than the Dogs did to us all when they sold out the game and its bright future to the disaster that was News Ltd and Super League.

To hear the Dogs incessantly whinge about greed, disloyalty, dishonesty, letting your mates down, etc, etc is simply laughable.

$BW was set in the Dog$ mould. And the Dog$ haven't changed - displaying their ongoing attitude to honouring contracts with the whole De$ affair.

I hope the rorters play Jessie J price tage song as Dunny Bill Willams them song :)

Seems like everybody's got a price,
I wonder how they sleep at night..
When the sale comes first,
And the truth comes second,

It's all about the money, money, money,
$BW needs your money, money, money.
We just wanna make the world dance,
Forget about the price tag.
Its all about the (ha!) cha-ching cha-ching.
Its all about the (yeah!) ba-bling ba-bling,

"SBW return is good for the game" - Johnathan Thurston.

His former Canterbury teammates may not be so forgiving, but NRL stars past and present have welcomed the rugby league return of Sonny Bill Williams four years after he walked out on the code.

The dual international on Tuesday revealed he was honouring a handshake agreement with Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis by signing on with the Roosters for the 2013 season following a successful stint in rugby union.

"It's exciting for the game to have someone of his stature back in our game," North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston said.

"To have someone as well known who has done what he has done in three different sports is great for rugby league."

Williams' former Bulldogs teammate Hazem El Masri said he would not allow Williams to return until he had apologised for deserting the Bulldogs and rugby league - a sentiment recently retired prop Petero Civoniceva could empathise with.

But Civoniceva said the benefits of his comeback outweighed the negatives.

"I think if you're a Bulldogs supporter, and I heard Hazem says he shouldn't be allowed back into the game until he apologises, then they probably won't forgive him," said the 309-game NRL veteran.

"But for me, as a rugby league supporter, I am excited to see him back in the game.

"We all saw how amazing he was with his athletic ability and I'm sure rugby league will love to see that back in our game."

Civoniceva, who played against Williams, said the Kiwi superstar had the ability to polarise people.

"He's made some decisions I'm not sure if he regrets or he's moved on from," he told AAP.

"With that comes the way people perceive him and the response he gets.

"No doubt there'll be supporters who are against him coming back, especially those in blue and white jerseys.

"But for those who remember how good he was in his previous stint in the game it will be very exciting to see what he can bring to the NRL."

Thurston said rugby league had a history of forgiving and moving on.

"The fans will love his size, his agility, his speed, his off-loads," he said.

"He's going to be a very exciting talent who will attract a lot of media for our game."

globaleagle said:
I read a lot about this 'handshake' agreement but nothing about why he feels it's so important to honour a handshake agreement but not honour the signed, sealed, and legal contract he had with the dogs.

But then I think he'll just be another regularly injured wanna be like his first stint in the nrl and also I care not.

I can only assume it is because Politis had a $1 million salary cap exempt cheque in his hand at the time.

MadMarcus said:
globaleagle said:

I can only assume it is because Politis had a $1 million salary cap exempt cheque in his hand at the time.

The 'handshake' was someone paying SBW's $850k fine that the Dogs won against him for breaking his contract.
It's now being 'honoured' in the most reluctant, begrudging way by SBW.:dodgy:

What's the bet that he will be injured for most of 2013, saving his body for Union/Boxing:mad:

But I agree that he does not owe his colleagues an apology - it's a business, and his Manager got him a better deal in 2008.

I find it pathetic that SBW and Izzy are being lauded by the NRL, when they both clearly are money chasing egomaniacs:mad:

There's the rort. SBW on $550.000 for next season. What a joke. he'd be on double that. Under the table I'd assume. And why does he need to have his Surname tattooed on his back. Can't he remember it?

DSM5 said:
There's the rort. SBW on $550.000 for next season. What a joke. he'd be on double that. Under the table I'd assume. And why does he need to have his Surname tattooed on his back. Can't he remember it?
Think he'd have a hard time reading it back there. Perhaps he's got a very good mate with a bad memory...

^ Nah, it's so his one nighters can learn his name.

The real tragedy here is "apology" is spelt wrong in the title!

#fro alert :angel:

Hope everyone gives his injured pec a real workout. Would love to see him play a couple of games and then have to sit out.

• 👍
Reactions: PJ

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4