saw enough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
it kills me to agree with the TC but that second man play is way overused.Yesterdays match Illawarra v Souths has some messages.I still think the GF will involve Illawarra(once they fix their attitude the first 20 showed what they can do) and as such we have to start playing sides agressively up the middle using changes in the angles off DCE and Glen.It is the only way to beat the steelers and will beat everyone else if used properly,particularly the tigers.To beat the storm you also have to drive through tackles and not be wrestled upright.We have the troops to do it but inexperience in the halves may get us this year when the whips are cracking.Iether way the second man play with stewart rolling out the back has got to be used more selectively.The dragons loss a few weeks ago illustrated that in a big way as well.

susan said:
it kills me to agree with the TC but that second man play is way overused.Yesterdays match Illawarra v Souths has some messages.I still think the GF will involve Illawarra(once they fix their attitude the first 20 showed what they can do) and as such we have to start playing sides agressively up the middle using changes in the angles off DCE and Glen.It is the only way to beat the steelers and will beat everyone else if used properly,particularly the tigers.To beat the storm you also have to drive through tackles and not be wrestled upright.We have the troops to do it but inexperience in the halves may get us this year when the whips are cracking.Iether way the second man play with stewart rolling out the back has got to be used more selectively.The dragons loss a few weeks ago illustrated that in a big way as well.

Yeah Wests had a player sweating on Brett most times he got the ball at 2nd receiver during those plays. The good thing is it has happened with 5 rounds to go (and not in a semi) so there is time for the halves and dessie to adjust things.

One of our major issues to execute plays up the middle whether it be around the ruck or halves engaging tired forwards up the middle is the lack of speed. Ballin is more a clinical crisp ball distributor and our halves are not the quickest either with limited footwork.

The dummy half needs to get behind the markers to draw in the defenders either side of the ruck to plug the hole then run an angle play------ or scooting out of dummy half hoping for a tired split around the markers which Ballin in the past against the Dragons has used with angled runners.
Ballin is not running the ball as often and seems to have lost a yard of pace but to be honest "most of the time" these are not red zone plays more 30-40m out to set up the next play on a broken defensive line.
We actually need to add more ball playing up the middle from the forwards and halves through the defensive line (not in relation to offloads) in the same manner that DCE delivered against the tigers (sort of a traditional 90's Doggies style forward plays) but its not really our style---offloads for second phase play is more our go or G.Stewart crabbing back in hoping to link up with a hole runner.

With the lack of speed in our halves and posting our ball players in corridors your limiting your options---thats not to say this structure will not work and it will if our go forward up the middle is fast flat with a mix of variety. T-Rex,& G Rose are critical for our chances against the Dragons as well as Matai from dummy half.

I would like to see Foran and DCE use their upper body strength more through the middle playing through the line----they lack speed to fully take advantage of small gaps up the middle but can occasionally pop a ball----just to mix it up a little and its a simple variation.

It's just too orchestrated at the moment. Not enough ad-lib,second phase plays. I'd have Brett hanging off Georgie atm. He's making yards and can pop a pass. The you and me plays are great for mixing it up around the ruck. Should be more of it.

So Ballin Foran & DCE are too slow? Ah, TC, TC.
By the way, we have scored more points than almost all the other teams so far this year, I couldn't be bothered checking the detail but I'm confident that is true. Despite scoring very few points over the past month.

That shows me that we can score points. We can score tries other teams can only dream of. Des knows what time of year this is. So does Bellamy, and Bennett for that matter. Sheens knows what time it is, too, do or die time once again for the tiges. that victory was massive for their season and they played extremely well to pip us by 2 points. I'm not throwing away my ticket.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
So Ballin Foran & DCE are too slow? Ah, TC, TC.
By the way, we have scored more points than almost all the other teams so far this year, I couldn't be bothered checking the detail but I'm confident that is true. Despite scoring very few points over the past month.

That shows me that we can score points. We can score tries other teams can only dream of. Des knows what time of year this is. So does Bellamy, and Bennett for that matter. Sheens knows what time it is, too, do or die time once again for the tiges. that victory was massive for their season and they played extremely well to pip us by 2 points. I'm not throwing away my ticket.
I'm not saying they are too slow to win a premiership---i'm just saying they are different type of players with positives in other areas.

I think we are still in this comp big time if we address our lack of a variety of structures in attack and our overly sideways go forward.

Obviously they are not the fastest halves but they are both smart and can ball play---- i was not saying their lack of speed is our downfall just that you have to direct your plans to your strong points.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Wasn't DCE really high up in our sprint tests in the pre season, definitely among the top 4-5

You would expect a half to be in the top 4-5 that goes without saying in most instances. Most halves have a decent turn of pace for 10-20m i just dont think DCE is overly fast in relation to other halves in the comp.

Speed helps if you run the ball a lot---which he tries to do i just wish he had a little more to turn those half openings into opportunites.It would help compress opposing defensive structures to not allow any opening up the middle which will lead to more space out wide.

Many great halves in the past have lacked pace its not the be all end all just nice to have----i'm a fan of DCE don't get me wrong.

Foran isnt the pace of a normal back himself,he is rather slow for his size but he makes up with it with pure heart,which like pace cannot be taught but is a much more valuable commodity in my opinion

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6