Sam Burgess reportedly eyes rugby league return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What a laugh this is. Shane Richardson, who hasn't been sighted in his first 12 months in the position of 'head of strategy' for the NRL, is reportedly heading over to England where he will seek to strike a deal to get Sam back using the NRL marquee player fund.

http://m.smh.com.au//breaking-news-...ml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Souths got a huge amount from Bath as a transfer fee ($500k?) and want it back if he's to return. Please assure me the NRL would not pitch in at all to save Souths from repaying this transfer fee, and would make the exact same deal irrespective of the team Burgess goes to.

Apparently big Sam's been a mess without the Rusty and Burgess family Wednesday night chicken dinners. He goes to his local but cries into his pint because the bangers and mash are shyte and he has to pick up his own bill.:p

Pretty safe to say I think mate. We haven't seen this bloke do anything in his position and now the first thing he does publicly looks to be assisting his old club.
Apparently has been keeping the chef busy at the NRL HQ buffet.

The NRL has ruled out using a marquee player allowance established by outgoing CEO Dave Smith to help lure back Sam Burgess as his brother Tom confirmed his treatment in rugby union after England's World Cup failure was "pushing him away" from the 15-man code.

With Burgess due to return to Bath training on Monday after being given time off to consider his future, speculation is growing that he is poised to return to South Sydney but NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson said he was not involved in any negotiations.

"I have been appointed to the RLIF board and I am here for the meeting in Paris this week," Richardson told Fairfax Media from Hull, where he had watched England take a 1-0 lead in their three Test series against the Kiwis with a 26-12 come from behind win.

"I am not here for any other reason and I am not involved in any negotiations to bring Sam Burgess back, although if I can help in any way I will."

However, Richardson said the NRL would not be contributing to Burgess's return through the use of discretionary funding for a marquee player allowance announced by Smith last year.

With last right of refusal, South Sydney are firm favourite to sign Burgess, although he is likely to receive interest from just about every other NRL club. Manly expressed an interest earlier this year after the Sea Eagles signed his brother, Luke.

Sam Burgess and Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly are also close from their time at Souths.

Read more at http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/nrl-r...owance-for-burgess-19550/#hLosz6oG6RigItEc.99

Time to dig out the chequebook and those third party deals we have lined up and offer the deal we had for Foran to big Sam, DCE type deal could get the job done!

If it means losing some players the likes of Mateo, Starling, Symonds, Hodges and Matai so be it.

I think if we could cut all that this year or next we will have enough to get both Burgess and Bird and make room to move Knight and Demetriou into the top squad. We're onto a winner then. Bird would flawlessly replace Foran and Burgess is the Ben Kennedy character we need to win our next premiership!

What odds this scenario. Hopa to the Dogs. Burgess to Souths. Hayne to the Roosters. Bird to Manly Just a thought.

Burgess would complete the puzzle & then a 5/8 already available would get it done Imo.
Bird more likely though & with DCE controlling both sides of the ruck, a roving Bird would make a great running 5/8 to compliment this.
Realistically even with the 3rd, 4th & 5th party deals....you would imagine it hard for anyone to afford Sams outrageous price tag.....

Burgess would complete the puzzle & then a 5/8 already available would get it done Imo.
Bird more likely though & with DCE controlling both sides of the ruck, a roving Bird would make a great running 5/8 to compliment this.
Realistically even with the 3rd, 4th & 5th party deals....you would imagine it hard for anyone to afford Sams outrageous price tag.....

No way. We still have a problem with an old and slow backline, which Bird would go SOME way to alleviating...

No way. We still have a problem with an old and slow backline, which Bird would go SOME way to alleviating...
No doubt Bird would add speed & agree to the backs benefiting with extra pace, but if Anyone thinks Bird is a better addition than Sam Burgess....its simply an unfair debate.....
Keep in mind our lacklustre go forward went a long way toward the illusion the backs including Snake, Turbo, DCE & Taufua slower than they are, offered little space & time from the inside.
Parcell, Api & big blokes bending the line will change this factor.
Your wish is more likely to come true with Bird anyway, who as I stated, would fit in well with the current roster.

No doubt Bird would add speed & agree to the backs benefiting with extra pace, but if Anyone thinks Bird is a better addition than Sam Burgess....its simply an unfair debate.....
Keep in mind our lacklustre go forward went a long way toward the illusion the backs including Snake, Turbo, DCE & Taufua slower than they are, offered little space & time from the inside.
Your wish is more likely to come true with Bird anyway, who as I stated, would fit in well with the current roster.

If Myles, Jake T, Tapau and Lussick can't provide a decent platform for our backs, then there is something seriously wrong. I am giving Lussick the benefit of the doubt as well...

And you can shoot me if you want, but I would be happy with Bird, if it came to a choice between him(at about 400,000/500,000) and Sam Burgess at $1.5 million.

Start running Moops....I got the gun out....
I do get your angle though as far as affordability, fact is if Burgess arrived I think Manly would be specials in 2016.

Start running Moops....I got the gun out....
I do get your angle though as far as affordability, fact is if Burgess arrived I think Manly would be specials in 2016.

But then again, it was one of the other Burgess brothers that won them the 2014 grand final...

Sam with a busted face dominated the GF & every big game Souths won, but got to admit ...big George was a far better player with Sam on the field.

Sam with a busted face dominated the GF & every big game Souths won, but got to admit ...big George was a far better player with Sam on the field.

Kind of like how Thurston won the Clive Churchill Medal in 2015. Yeah, right...

You could say that, both obviously the dominant players through the entire finals series...I seen the Cows/ Sharks final & I will add Thurston slightly outplayed Bird on that occasion

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8