Salary Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I really like how Des addressed the salary cap situations at Canterbury and Manly respectively. I think the general public (journalists included) have a very rudimentary understanding of the salary cap and think that it is just as simple as + and - into the calculator and you have your answer. Des referred to (a) the context surrounding his decision making and (b) the fact that his long term plans were thwarted at both clubs, having been sacked.

When you factor in 12 consecutive seasons of finals and 5 GF appearances, you have to say that his methods are vindicated. I can't remember too many times where a coach has stepped into a role and mentioned how happy they are with the state of the cap...it's because the new coach will not be executing the old coaches plan, hence the negative perspective.

Do I think he gets every decision right? No, but I do think he gets it right a fair bit and I am basing that off his success.

I really like how Des addressed the salary cap situations at Canterbury and Manly respectively. I think the general public (journalists included) have a very rudimentary understanding of the salary cap and think that it is just as simple as + and - into the calculator and you have your answer. Des referred to (a) the context surrounding his decision making and (b) the fact that his long term plans were thwarted at both clubs, having been sacked.

When you factor in 12 consecutive seasons of finals and 5 GF appearances, you have to say that his methods are vindicated. I can't remember too many times where a coach has stepped into a role and mentioned how happy they are with the state of the cap...it's because the new coach will not be executing the old coaches plan, hence the negative perspective.

Do I think he gets every decision right? No, but I do think he gets it right a fair bit and I am basing that off his success.
Agree - I am sure he would have managed the ‘aging roster’ differently if he had stayed along with some of the personalities and the issues that was a result of that.

Anyway let’s hope he gets the roster he wants and coaches all the way to another couple of premierships

First of all, how bloody good is it to feel like Manly again!
As for Des and his salary cap methodology, we will never know if his plan for dealing with back ended contracts would have worked. While Des is clearly a smart operator and would have had a plan, I have my doubts that he could have done so successfully.
I am pretty content with Des having control over his roster, though. He would have learnt a lot through his time at the dogs and how that ended and I reckon he would have spent some of the last 12 months tinkering with his model. His ego would have taken a massive hit last year and I can’t see him making the same mistakes again. In some ways, I think we may thank the dogs for ‘clipping his wings’, only for him to soar again at Manly!

Agree - I am sure he would have managed the ‘aging roster’ differently if he had stayed along with some of the personalities and the issues that was a result of that.

Anyway let’s hope he gets the roster he wants and coaches all the way to another couple of premierships

Agree.
Didn't he make the hard call on Beaver?
The call on Gifty was ultimately right but the way it appeared to be done was not.
How he would've managed Choc, Gifty, Matai and Snake would've been interesting as he was effectively the one that brought them all through so making the call on them at the right time
most likely would've been handled differently from both perspectives.
Look at the closeness of that squad with three of those boys plus Des at Foz's wedding.

I don't think he'd find too much wrong with the current squad or he wouldn't have taken the job on especially this late on and with a restricted cap for next year.

One question: if he had a plan to handle the cap issues before he was sacked, does that mean it was all going to be sorted in 2012 because he'd signed with the Berries for 2013?
Possibly a slight rewriting of history here.
But at least he can coach!

The way I see it (and I’ve said this before Des was back in the frame) is that we were super competitive with the team Des built from 2007 until 2013. 2014 and 2015 were relatively lean years (not genuine contenders), but by 2016 we were opening the chequebook again and the roster looked pretty good - the coach just couldn’t get them to fire.

Des can’t be held responsible for what happened in 2016 onwards. The person who was hard done by was Tooves, who had to fill gaps with players like Willie Mason and Luke Burgess and deal with the prospect of DCE and Foz leaving, and the dissension that followed Gift’s exit, in the lean years.

If Des manages the cap so we have 7 super competitive years (genuine contenders) followed by 2 average ones I’m a happy camper. There’s a fair chance we’ll land a premiership or 2 (or more) in the next decade if he can do that.

The way I see it (and I’ve said this before Des was back in the frame) is that we were super competitive with the team Des built from 2007 until 2013. 2014 and 2015 were relatively lean years (not genuine contenders), but by 2016 we were opening the chequebook again and the roster looked pretty good - the coach just couldn’t get them to fire.

Des can’t be held responsible for what happened in 2016 onwards. The person who was hard done by was Tooves, who had to fill gaps with players like Willie Mason and Luke Burgess and deal with the prospect of DCE and Foz leaving, and the dissension that followed Gift’s exit, in the lean years.

If Des manages the cap so we have 7 super competitive years (genuine contenders) followed by 2 average ones I’m a happy camper. There’s a fair chance we’ll land a premiership or 2 (or more) in the next decade if he can do that.
Not to mention we made a GF two years after Des left. So it was sustainable for a couple of years after.

Also, we were in a position to offer two halves (Foran and DCE) a million bucks each at the end of 2015. It's not Dessie's fault that Foz said no and Chez played hard ball with the Titans threat.

And that's kinda my point...I think the whole "back end" Des thing is a media assassination and because Des left us, it was convenient for Manly fans to go along with it. Now that we're in love again, you can see things more objectively.

I'd guess that Des would've let Matai go to the Warriors when he was offered that deal. It would've been the right decision even though losing Matai would've hurt but he was done by then. Choc would've been let go in less acrimonious circumstances as would Foz. Again both of which were past it.

Bennett has never been caught cheating the cap
Pretty sure Brisbane have been over minimally quite a few years in the past for eg 30k but if I recall they just pay the fine of the amount and its swept under the rug. Can anyone else confirm this?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8