Sad day for NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was hoping he'd see out the year and continue to stuff the eels. I was enjoying that circus. It was taking some of the heat off us! Lol

The boy is an amazing talent for sure. I find it really sad that his career ended this way. He carved us up the last 2 times we played at Parra. I think a spell away from the NRL will help him get his act together and maybe he will return and give a club some real value.

I'd rather pay to watch him play than a robot type like Cronk, far more entertaining to watch
He has that X factor and I really wish he could look at how Cliffy played the game. Cliffy is a Manly legend and he was very much a player who played what was infront of him, he made and scored countless tries but he was also accountable in defence. It seems with Sandow that he loves to attack but defensive chores are not in his game , hence why the Dalai got the Tom tits with him.

I love watching Sandow. Either rocks or diamonds but it's always entertaining, and since he doesn't play for us I don't have to care which one it is. But I still enjoy it.

I hope he ends up ok. Still a young man.
Bit of a loose cannon but I don't think he's met the right coach yet.

Last edited:
Refreshing to see someone different in what is veering dangerously close to becoming a game of cookie cutter personalities.

He may have been flamboyant, creative and instinctive but he had horrendous defence and was unable to play well with structure. Off the cuff stuff is great, of course, but its 2015, much of the game plans require structured plays. At least theres no Queen of the Nile pokies in England, he'll save a motza

Sandow is the old style 'ad-lib' halfback. He thrives on playing what's in front of him but unfortunately he has had major trouble adapting to the structures coaches have in the modern game. Players like DCE and Thurston are also ad-lib types, but they also have the ability to play to their teams structures. They have also earned the right to play outside of the game plan if they see an opportunity.

Sandow tries to play his own game and the Dalai crucifies him for it. He wants a player who will stick to the plan (whatever that is) no matter what. That's where Foran will probably be better at the Speels than Sandow ever was.

Then there is his defensive game which is almost non-existent.

If Sandow had played 20 or 30 years ago he might have been a sensation despite his poor defence. But these days coaches seem to want robots, not humans capable of thinking outside the square.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/parramatta-eels/jarryd-hayne-eddie-obeid-jnr-the-parramatta-eels-and-the-murky-world-of-secret-player-payments-20150723-giib8b?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:twi-13omn1677-edtrl-other:nnn-17/02/2014-edtrs_socialshare-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o&sa=D&usg=ALhdy28zsr6qiq

Jarryd Hayne, Eddie Obeid jnr, the Parramatta Eels and the murky world of secret player payments

Date
July 24, 2015 - 6:53AM
Kate McClymont and Stuart Goodman
The murky world of secret payments to rugby league players to circumvent the salary cap is haunting the Parramatta Eels, with Eddie Obeid jnr admitting to financially assisting troubled star Chris Sandow, providing a discounted apartment to Darcy Lussick and offering real estate advice to Will Hopoate.

Mr Obeid jnr, the son of disgraced former Labor powerbroker Eddie Obeid, is alleged to have organised for Sandow's estimated $550,000 salary to be topped up by as much as $200,000 a year and for Hopoate, who earns about $750,000, to be paid an extra $50,000 to $100,000 a year in deals not registered with the National Rugby League.

In what has been described as a massive conflict of interest, a Fairfax Media investigation can reveal that for years the controversial former Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo directed a number of third-party player payments, including money owed to Jarryd Hayne, into front companies he had set up for his own property development deals.

Mr Spagnolo, who controlled the club from 2009 to 2013, was recently found to be "not a fit and proper person" to run a registered club. This follows a lengthy investigation into the club's governance by the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority.

Sources close to the Parramatta club have claimed that off-the-book payments, which could total more than a million dollars, were made during the Spagnolo regime. The extent of the problem has been coming to light in recent times.

One example is a payment of $18,000 in September 2012. Although the payment was ostensibly for financial services, a handwritten notation on the back of the invoice indicates the money was for then player Luke Burt.

Fairfax Media can reveal the payment from the club went to a company formerly run by an employee of Mr Spagnolo's and controlled by a close associate. Mr Burt, who was personally managed by Mr Spagnolo, retired at the end of 2012. He is now on the Eels coaching staff.

One unregistered third-party payment to star player Hayne went into a Spagnolo-controlled company, Abdullah Pty Ltd, even after Hayne had left the Eels to play American football with the San Francisco 49ers.

Despite no paperwork, in December 2014 the Parramatta Leagues Club paid $26,000 to Abdullah Pty Ltd on Hayne's behalf.

Another payment for $26,000 was made to Hayne's manager, Wayne Beavis, in April this year.

Fairfax Media does not suggest any of the players knowingly breached the salary cap.

Mr Beavis expressed alarm when informed this week that Mr Spagnolo was behind the mysterious company into which some of his client's money was being invested.

"If I had known that, we would have made sure it didn't happen. You can't have that conflict of interest," said Mr Beavis.

Mr Beavis said the agreement was reached with the recently departed chief executive Scott Seward. "We reached a third-party agreement to keep Jarryd current with the company and we sent them two invoices and they were both paid," he said.

Mr Beavis said that the payments weren't registered "because I never got any paperwork off the club. That's not my fault. That's the club's fault," he said.

Mr Seward was unable to comment due to a confidentiality agreement and Mr Spagnolo did not return calls.

Mr Spagnolo's cousin, Roy "Billy" Spagnolo, Hayne's accountant, told Fairfax Media that "Abdullah is an investment company" into which Hayne's third-party payments were paid.

However, a bitter legal battle between Roy Spagnolo and his former close friend and business associate, George Gaitanos, has revealed that it is Mr Spagnolo himself who controls Abdullah Pty Ltd, which is demanding a $4.3 million payment from Mr Gaitanos over soured property deals.

Mr Gaitanos is accusing his former friend of misleading and deceptive conduct and claims that by getting investors to put money into Abdullah, Mr Spagnolo was running an unregistered investment scheme.

When asked if Abdullah was a registered investment scheme, Billy Spagnolo said he couldn't answer any more questions. "Are you sure you are not calling from the tax office?" he asked.

Club insiders say that Sandow's manager, Isaac Moses, recently demanded the club honour payments promised to his client by Mr Obeid jnr but the club is refusing to accept responsibility for what appear to be unregistered deals previously negotiated by the former regime.

Mr Moses, who denied making the demand, said he never comments on client's contracts.

As for Mr Obeid jnr, he initially declined to comment on allegations he had being paying Sandow between $100,000 and $200,000 per year.

He also declined to answer questions about rumoured payments to Hopoate, but he was happy to confirm that his family's company had sold Lussick a discounted unit in Top Ryde.

"Yes, that's true. I don't have any issue with that. I helped him with his unit," said Mr Obeid jnr.

The following day, Mr Obeid jnr said that as "a property developer and friend" he had provided advice to Hopoate about the property market.

He also said he "personally helped Chris [Sandow] in a small capacity financially from time to time as a friend", but that his attempts to secure third-party deals for Sandow via business associates had failed.

"Given Chris's continual issues both on and off the field, companies felt it was not in their best interests to hire Chris's services. It was just too hard, given his circumstances," said Mr Obeid jnr.

As to Mr Obeid's motivation, he said the answer was simple. "I love the club. If asked, I will always help anyone associated with the Parramatta Eels."

He went on to have swipe at the new management.

"In my opinion, good people have come and gone at the board and administration level - smart, honest business people who have the contacts, experience and business acumen to deliver the Eels safely into the future. Sadly, they have been moved on because they wouldn't bend on their business principles."

The National Rugby League sets salary caps for the clubs; players can earn unlimited amounts of money outside the club, but there are rules.

Players can receive money from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property, such as club logos, jerseys or emblems. These third-party arrangements have to be approved and registered by the NRL.

The TPAs, as they are known, may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

But there is a shadowy world where the salary cap is breached through players receiving money off the books. Common methods include paying for holidays, cars, offering free rent or organising discounted property purchases.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r-payments-20150723-giib8b.html#ixzz3gkqqGQPC

so it used to be signing with souths was a career ending move, now it seems signing with parra end careers (sandow, choc, hoppy etc...)
good luck chris

I think Sandow will be a success in England where he'll have more room to and less structured coaching tactics. He's certainly not the only inconsistent player in the NRL.
Potato, Dave Taylor, Vidot are three I can think of.

Jorge Taufua from our side is the same, I've never seen a more uninterested player! Yet when he's on he's a beast.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6