[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Thats a very short sighted view. Tell me, how do they get better in the big games if they dont ever get to play in them?

When we won the comp in 08&11 we gradually improved from 04 by playing many "big games".. (8 finals games before winning the comp).
When we won the comp in 96, we gradually improved from 93 by playing many "big games". (7 finals games before winning the comp)
When we won the comp in 87, we were there abouts for most of the 80s and eventually learnt from playing many "big games" (11 finals games/play offs before winning the comp).

Based on the rhetoric from some on this forum, Bozo should have been sacked in 86 + 94 and Des in 06 + 10.

So here we are in 2022 and the side has now played 5 finals games since 2019. What does history suggest? We are on the cusp of another premiership and sacking the coach because we lost in round 10 is not the answer.
good points but those sides did not consistently lose to the good teams throughout the season...
I am not just talking about finals, this side is consistently proving to be inadequate when faced with a challenge and it is not just that they lose the 'big' games but the fact that they are consistently blown away early and mount a 'challenge' when the game is all over...

imo, there are serious structural issues with this side that have been obvious for the whole of Des's tenure (and, yes, he 'improved' the side when he took over from Twent)... they may have been masked by a fantastic season from Tom last year but beating up on teams that are worse than us (and there are plenty of REALLY bad teams in this competition) does not give me comfort that we are a top-8 team and 'competitive'... we are miles off the pace and we are not building to a premiership anytime soon...

...imo...

Exactly, and then our so called leader does a hail Mary short drop-out (which we never win those ever) and it's an easy try through non committed weak defense within 90 seconds and game over. It's a fuking laugh watching this lot pretend to be a top nrl team.
strange decision that short kick after the error. seemed desperate, but that is this team, we are the gamblers

Hasler coached sides were always renown for their defence and effort.

A few years back at Canterbury, that all came undone. He is no longer a coach that gets great defensive performances from his teams. That’s a concern.

Well if the rumours circulating are true then it's no surprise what happened out there tonight. This business over Schuster wanting 5/8 and then letting Foran go has clearly fractured the playing group. It looks from the outside that senior players have spat the dummy over it all because very few looked like they were playing for the club tonight. This disintegration was not the result of just an off night or a few having a poor game. This whole situation stinks and it's very quickly looking like it's going to turn us into a rotting carcass.
What are they Mick?

been a big fan of dessie but i said last year, he coached the side like he wanted a top 4 contract extension. he got it and we never tried to adapt to the toughness and control of finals, just continued with fiesta ball

either des cant give the team a 2022 plan or
DCE cant be coached to deliver it

its one or the other or both, but we are stuck with both for a few more years so .........buckle up. its going to get uglier unless someone can teach old dogs, new tricks but that rarely happens when contracts are sewn up into retirement for both

The playing group is fractured over senior players being moved on (Taupau,Walker,Foran and others) , a polarising captain and a no new ideas coach. Plus letting go of young forwards like Sione Fainu as well as Schuster pushing for 5/8. There are cracks everywhere and it's obvious.
Thanks mate, I don't look that close.

Des is hanging around so can we look for some help in the assist coach role, sounds crazy but Jason Taylor is a good defensive coach, I like Harper and Saab in attack but it would be great if they held a defensive pattern as well

Des is hanging around so can we look for some help in the assist coach role, sounds crazy but Jason Taylor is a good defensive coach, I like Harper and Saab in attack but it would be great if they held a defensive pattern as well
I am a little concerned about what happened last time we invited North Sydney Bears into our club....

Well if the rumours circulating are true then it's no surprise what happened out there tonight. This business over Schuster wanting 5/8 and then letting Foran go has clearly fractured the playing group. It looks from the outside that senior players have spat the dummy over it all because very few looked like they were playing for the club tonight. This disintegration was not the result of just an off night or a few having a poor game. This whole situation stinks and it's very quickly looking like it's going to turn us into a rotting carcass.

The playing group is fractured over senior players being moved on (Taupau,Walker,Foran and others) , a polarising captain and a no new ideas coach. Plus letting go of young forwards like Sione Fainu as well as Schuster pushing for 5/8. There are cracks everywhere and it's obvious.
This is the Buzz Rothfield scoop, I call BS.
If we retained Walker and Taupau there would be a riot here. Plenty wanted Foz extended for a season but just as many didn't. He got a 2 year offer, no brainer for him to leave.
The Schu manager is a dick, Schu is a very young possibly naive player but I think there is a basic harmony and resolve among this squad. The last couple of weeks not ideal but they will get over the emotional trauma of learning that a 32 year old player is going somewhere else next year.
No inside info, just my take.

Hasler coached sides were always renown for their defence and effort.

A few years back at Canterbury, that all came undone. He is no longer a coach that gets great defensive performances from his teams. That’s a concern.
Sadly it feels very much more like his last years at Canterbury than at any time during his previous stint with us. Except for the (now) tired old plays we saw back then.

If true brace yourself for the next two games !!!

Don "t think that that last night 's shocker or Manly "s indifferent season so far can be attributed to any of Des "s or his assistants coaching input . Timing and execution in attack is way off and defence was holding up well to a degree for much of the 1 st half with them under constant pressure and staved of possession . Got the side well into the final"s play off "s in 2019 , close to a G F appearance last season . So much dependence on a fit and firing Turbo and D C E producing and a relatively even share of possession . , shame that the noted tenacity in defence not so common now but different ruck rules in recent times also . Coaches have to be accountable to some extent including Des for sub standard performances but would say 90 % of Mlanly "s current woes aren 't down to Des . Why the coaching staff would allow Turbo to be playing literally on one leg is a bit puzzling though .

Des is far from perfect, but anyone wanting him gone should be careful what they wish for... We could very easily end up with another coach who looks for the exit as soon as the going gets too tough.

Also when the Dogs fired Des they finished 11th. They have only finished as high as 12th in the 5 seasons (and two coaches) since then

Not excusing Des BUT we are not contenders with the side we've got. No 9. Rookies in the centres and on the wing (which is good but they need seasoning and development). Injury prone Turbo and Shoe. A hot and cold DCE. AND more..HOWEVER, the defensive grit and grind is not there. I know players are missing through injury etc..but he has to instill that mindset in everyone in the top 30 and make players accontable/drop fukers to Blacktown and elevate ones showing those qualities.

you are right ... it sounds crazy

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8