Ryan Cross Heads To Force

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Cross switches codes and heads to Force
Wednesday Jun 14 13:00 AEST

NRL representative centre Ryan Cross is switching codes and has knocked back offers from the NSW Waratahs and the Brumbies to play his rugby union with Super 14 newcomer Western Force.

The Sydney Roosters back announced he'd signed a two year deal with Australian Rugby Union and RugbyWA today.

A former Australian Schoolboys fullback, Cross returns to the code after nine years in rugby league.

He is set to join a vibrant young backline being assembled by the Force which finished last in its 2006 Super 14 debut season.

He'll join fellow recruits in Wallabies Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell alongside the likes of Cameron Shepherd, Scott Staniforth, Mat Henjak and Lachlan MacKay.

Cross also fielded approaches from Super 14 semi-finalist NSW and perennial powerhouse the Brumbies.

The Waratahs boast fellow rugby league backline converts in Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers and the suspended Wendell Sailor but have now missed out in attempts to add Andrew Johns, Braith Anasta and Mark Gasnier in recent times.

The Brumbies pitched strongly on the chance to replace the departed Giteau and play amongst established Wallaby backs George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Stirling Mortlock, Mark Gerrard and Clyde Rathbone.

Cross said the three offers he had received all had their strengths and appeal, and were financially competitive.

"In the end, I was able to make my decision with a strong focus on what I felt was best for me as a footballer and for my family," he said.

"The rugby program explained to me by (Force coach) John Mitchell and (CEO) Peter O'Meara and the opportunities and potential available in a developing rugby organisation like the Force ultimately tipped the scales in their favour."

"The challenge to make a successful return to rugby after so many enjoyable seasons with the Sydney Roosters is something I will certainly look forward to."

Cross went to league in 1998, earned NSW City Origin selection in 2004 and 2005, and has scored more than 80 tries in over 130 first-grade appearances for the Roosters.

The early stages of his rugby league career were hampered by injury, first a broken leg in 2001 and then a knee reconstruction, but Cross made a successful return in 2003, finishing the season as the Roosters' top tryscorer.

Wallabies coach John Connolly said that Cross was a great acquisition for rugby. "He is a good footballer and a player who I believe has a lot to offer the game, said Connolly.

"We will be watching his progress with the Western Force with a great deal of interest."

Force coach Mitchell said: "He's big and strong - a good sized outside centre who will certainly attract defenders. And he's a good offloader of the ball, with adept footwork, and like most league players he has sound defensive technique.

"What I also like about Ryan is that he's very fit and focused he wants to be a Wallaby and we want people at this club with that kind of vision."

nice easy option Ryan, well done mate.

hope you enjoyed the test match on the weekend, if you played you would have seen the ball at least twice in the first half!

Enjoy! :dance: :dance:

Dvaid Kidwell is also going to Souths for 3 years.

Who will Ryan replaced in the Wollobies anyway? Giteau/Rogers/Mortlock?

I doubt it

solid first grader, with the likes and talents of Inglis and co coming through, he would never have ever played rep footy in League, will find a nice spot in the SuperANNUATION 14

Looking at the Force's win/loss ratio it is similar to the Roosters this years so he should fit in well over there

Dvaid Kidwell is also going to Souths for 3 years.

Who will Ryan replaced in the Wollobies anyway? Giteau/Rogers/Mortlock?

I doubt it

Souths must be trying to buy all new zealanders for their pack. At least they might get a bit more use out of Kidwell then Scott (I tore my pectral muscle again) geddes.

Morely is also going back to the Uk after this year so it looks like the rooters will be out trying to buy a big name prop. They had a lot of sucess buying Charlie Tonga from the bulldogs so they might as well but Asotasi as well.

Cross will go to the force on big bucks for a few years and play a less physically demanding game. Nice and easy couple of years before retirement.

Joe Gualovo or whatever his name is has given them a lot of value as well. Add Vagana and it is a virtual combined Warriors/Moree Boomerangs team

Crowe and holmes a Court must be pleased with their new purchase. A 29 year old has been. Add vagana who is a 32 year old has been. Obviously this is the NRL boost your retirement fund club.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke in crowe. I hope that he does his dough with this mob who should have never been allowed back into the comp.

Bring back the bears.

I actually think Kidwell could be an excellent buy for Souths. He's a leader, which is what their forward pack desperately needs.

Every good pack has one. Broncos have Webcke. Manly has BK. Roosters have Morley. Dogs have Mason...O'Meley....Asotasi....ok dogs are a bad example....

But basically every forward pack needs the player who will make that extra tackle, make that extra hit up, lead by example. Kidwell (as much of a c*nt as he is) is that sort of bloke.

I mean, they'll still come last. But they won't lose their first 13 games.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4