RWC Refs vs NRL Refs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
I mentioned this in another thread but thought I'd expand in it's own.

Not sure if anyone else has been watching a lot of the RWC but I have and have found a lot of the game thoroughly enjoyable. The second half of France/Argentina was excellent, Japan/Ireland outstanding and even the Wallabies going down to Wales was still a lot of fun. Ball handling has been terrible but that can probably be expected to a degree in what appears to be typhoon season. I'm also preferring the breakdown/mauling to leagues tackle/wrestle/hold/slowly release crap too. Lots of chip and chases too. Anyway...

One thing that has become quite clear though the cup is that their reffing is in another stratosphere when compared to league. And this is with an international ref and other international touchies. The way the video ref works, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but they either call it back to an earlier incident that was missed like VAR, or the ref puts it upstairs to review while re-watching it himself from the field. Then all parties agree on the punishment. It doesn't slow it down anymore than going to the bunker for everything and the ref calmly explains it to both captains and everyone gets on with it. The amount of sin bins and send offs has not been an issue because everyone understands what the refs are calling so if you still infringe, even accidentally, you are gone. Even a casual can see a replay and know what the penalty will be as opposed to league where it's a complete guess (depending on the team).

Anyway, I never thought I'd get this into it but they've done a great job and deserve credit for it.

Not sure if anyone else has been watching a lot of the RWC but I have and have found a lot of the game thoroughly enjoyable. The second half of France/Argentina was excellent, Japan/Ireland outstanding and even the Wallabies going down to Wales was still a lot of fun. Ball handling has been terrible but that can probably be expected to a degree in what appears to be typhoon season. I'm also preferring the breakdown/mauling to leagues tackle/wrestle/hold/slowly release crap too. Lots of chip and chases too. Anyway...

One thing that has become quite clear though the cup is that their reffing is in another stratosphere when compared to league. And this is with an international ref and other international touchies. The way the video ref works, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but they either call it back to an earlier incident that was missed like VAR, or the ref puts it upstairs to review while re-watching it himself from the field. Then all parties agree on the punishment. It doesn't slow it down anymore than going to the bunker for everything and the ref calmly explains it to both captains and everyone gets on with it. The amount of sin bins and send offs has not been an issue because everyone understands what the refs are calling so if you still infringe, even accidentally, you are gone. Even a casual can see a replay and know what the penalty will be as opposed to league where it's a complete guess (depending on the team).

Anyway, I never thought I'd get this into it but they've done a great job and deserve credit for it.

Interesting view, personally I think the game has way too many stoppages for it to be entertaining.

But I see you are comparing more the referee’s so for that I’ll probably agree.

They don’t have two and probably don’t need two as the game doesn’t seem to be anywhere as fast as ours.

I think the biggest issue today compared to what we saw 20-30 years ago are super slo motion vision and cameras from 15 different angles.

AND replayed 15 times during the game and countless thousands afterwards.

Back then the ref said” try” and you just had to accept it, yes occasionally they got it wrong.

Now every ****ing decision is reviewed and picked apart “ oh his little pinkie might have touched it”, that’s what ****s me most about the game these days.

Their player protection is taken to extremes but with current knowledge about head injuries and the like its hard to be too critical of that, provided it is consistently enforced - which in the few bits I've seen, it has been. Basically agree with your post!
There are 2 blindingly obvious differences in the refs RWC v NRL. One is that the decisions (possibly aside from scrums, which remain a mystery to me) are clear, consistent and transparent.
Second is that the refs aren't pretneding to be buddies with players and they are treated with respect by the players.

Haven’t watched any of it because it doesn’t interest me enough to pay for it, but I have always found the Rugby way of using the video extremely tedious tbh. Interesting to read your views on the refs as well because most of the comment I’m hearing is that they have been pretty poor

I watched the last Aussie match and I could see how the bad influence of RL video refs has now spread to international rugby.
There were continual interruptions by the video ref, and players sin-binned for the most inconsequential of reasons.
Rugby has always been stop-start, but it is far worse now because of technology. Compare the joy of watching a free-flowing Shute Shield match where there is limited video interference with the Internationals and you'll see what I mean.
It's the same with cricket. Refs and umpires are being shamed by having video shown of what commentators see as mistakes.
Cast your mind back to the original debate about why technology was introduced....
It was to stop the "howlers".
Well, now it is to agonise over the most minute of events - things that the naked eye can't see. The so-called 'separation' of fingers off the ball etc
How long before RL introduces "Snicko", ball-tracking, overstepping the mark etc?
Video has ruined RL, cricket and now rugby. It is the biggest reason why on-field refs/umpires are suddenly so inept.
Imagine if you took this approach into the business world; every decision a company boss made being scruitnised by an off-site panel of judges? Commerce would come to a halt.

Haven’t watched any of it because it doesn’t interest me enough to pay for it, but I have always found the Rugby way of using the video extremely tedious tbh. Interesting to read your views on the refs as well because most of the comment I’m hearing is that they have been pretty poor

Is the only option in NZ to watch RWC to pay for view???

We at least have Chan 10 on FTA!!!

There are a couple of differences between the two codes IMO. Referees are treated with respect in RU by the players, we had to call them "Sir" on the field when I was playing. Compare that to the way RL icons like Smith and Thurston talk to the refs ?? kids see that and adopt the same attitude from junior level.

I also in general think RU as a game accept the referees decision and move on pretty quickly. Rarely do they harp on about a bad call or analyse the hell out of every penalty. The commentators might say - interesting interpretation and then move on. RL media love to focus on refs mistakes. That shouldn't excuse a howler like Cummins came up with on Sunday though - that would have attracted attention in either code.

There are a couple of differences between the two codes IMO. Referees are treated with respect in RU by the players, we had to call them "Sir" on the field when I was playing. Compare that to the way RL icons like Smith and Thurston talk to the refs ?? kids see that and adopt the same attitude from junior level.

I also in general think RU as a game accept the referees decision and move on pretty quickly. Rarely do they harp on about a bad call or analyse the hell out of every penalty. The commentators might say - interesting interpretation and then move on. RL media love to focus on refs mistakes. That shouldn't excuse a howler like Cummins came up with on Sunday though - that would have attracted attention in either code.

We also don’t see so much negativity from the associated journalists.

When Australia played Wales there were some howlers in that game too, we lost , everyone moved on quickly.

Is the only option in NZ to watch RWC to pay for view???

We at least have Chan 10 on FTA!!!

Sky TV is our version of Fox and have all the serious sports on their platform, for this tournament they were outbid by a streaming company, similar to what happened in Australia with the Soccer World Cup I believe. $90 for a tournament pass, All Blacks games and a select other few are on free to air delayed but I haven’t bothered to watch after the event. Come finals time all the All Blacks games are live on the free to air TV. I’ll stick to my Sky Sports with the League, Cricket, Darts, USA sport, V8s etc on there

Our setup was never going to be good enough to cater for the demand, and the first All Blacks game v the Boks was carnage, the providers couldn’t handle it, and they ended up having to toss it onto free to air and there have been intermittent problems with the coverage since

Sky TV is our version of Fox and have all the serious sports on their platform, for this tournament they were outbid by a streaming company, similar to what happened in Australia with the Soccer World Cup I believe. $90 for a tournament pass, All Blacks games and a select other few are on free to air delayed but I haven’t bothered to watch after the event. Come finals time all the All Blacks games are live on the free to air TV. I’ll stick to my Sky Sports with the League, Cricket, Darts, USA sport, V8s etc on there

Our setup was never going to be good enough to cater for the demand, and the first All Blacks game v the Boks was carnage, the providers couldn’t handle it, and they ended up having to toss it onto free to air and there have been intermittent problems with the coverage since

Stupid , money making system.

Typical of RWC, gouge punters at every chance.

Well, even "pretty poor" is an upgrade on the NRL's "piss poor". Union does nothing for me, but the fact that we're looking to a sport that is notorious for over-officiating everything and poor-quality refereeing just goes to show what a mess the NRL has become.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...s/news-story/a21ac7e2562531a4aa8745c1e6ae7a15

Someone not happy with the refs. But yeah, I do think sCam bases his referee whispering off the all blacks.

Analysing the All Blacks’ pool play win over Canada, Francis, who played 36 tests for Ireland between 1987 and 1996, said at one point New Zealand “gave away 20 penalties, of which only one was awarded” and claims All Blacks skipper Kieran Read should have been sent off by referee Romain Poite while Beauden Barrett and Sonny Bill Williams escaped yellow cards.

“This was for a headfirst no-arms tackle by Kieran Read on one of the hapless Canadian runners. Don’t worry Kieran, you are the captain of the All Blacks, you have diplomatic immunity,” Francis wrote.

“New Zealand are difficult enough to beat at the best of times but because they cheat with impunity and such breathtaking cynicism and referees let them do it, they are even more difficult to overcome.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...s/news-story/a21ac7e2562531a4aa8745c1e6ae7a15

Someone not happy with the refs. But yeah, I do think sCam bases his referee whispering off the all blacks.

Analysing the All Blacks’ pool play win over Canada, Francis, who played 36 tests for Ireland between 1987 and 1996, said at one point New Zealand “gave away 20 penalties, of which only one was awarded” and claims All Blacks skipper Kieran Read should have been sent off by referee Romain Poite while Beauden Barrett and Sonny Bill Williams escaped yellow cards.

“This was for a headfirst no-arms tackle by Kieran Read on one of the hapless Canadian runners. Don’t worry Kieran, you are the captain of the All Blacks, you have diplomatic immunity,” Francis wrote.

“New Zealand are difficult enough to beat at the best of times but because they cheat with impunity and such breathtaking cynicism and referees let them do it, they are even more difficult to overcome.”

Sounds a bit like the Melbourne Storm doesn’t it????

@:D Not even the refs were watching NZ/Canada!

It seems like every game is on free to air over here and I've still not watched a second of it not do I intend to, I can't stand "kick and clap"

It seems like every game is on free to air over here and I've still not watched a second of it not do I intend to, I can't stand "kick and clap"
You are missing some good competition

You are missing some good competition
I'm excited to watch Namibia v Canada to see if they can get their first world cup win. Also Japan/Scotland will be huge, England v France will be good too. I have Australia playing England in quarters and NZ v Ireland.

I'm excited to watch Namibia v Canada to see if they can get their first world cup win. Also Japan/Scotland will be huge, England v France will be good too. I have Australia playing England in quarters and NZ v Ireland.

Pretty sure the typhoon has put paid to eng v france (2 points each)
Also NZ v Italy called off - same reason, 2 points each.
TBD - scotland v Japan - depending on the weather.

SCOTLAND has reportedly informed World Rugby at a series of angry meetings of its intention to take legal action to ensure the game against Japan is played. The Scots are calling for the game to be pushed back 24 hours to assure its safe.

I have to disagree mate. The Rugby world cup is terrible to watch, way too many stoppages and send offs. If this happened in the NRL we would be calling for heads. Its a slow and interrupted game that is 100% influenced by a referee's interpretation

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2