• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
I just had a bizarre thought, when I do laps, it is always in an anti clockwise direction. It only really came to my attention last night when I was running around the lake near my place, and most people seemed to be running or walking clockwise.

The thought of running clockwise seems a bit strange to me, it just wouldnt feel right.

I know some horses have trouble running in a particular direction, the term being that they get on the wrong leg, but they obviously run differently to us.

Just ne interested to know if you guys do the same. Is it a left/right handed thing maybe?

Maybe its a physcological effect depending upon what hemisphere you were born in & how you watched the water go down the drain in which direction.

Definitely a left/right handed thing. Same as goofy footers & orthodox.

I go running and bike riding around centennial park a couple of times a week and I always go clockwise, maybe because thats the way it is set up for biking but most people also run that way.

Running either way is fine with me, dont see it as strange at all running clockwise or anti clockwise.

Yeah I'm not saying its a strange thing to do, but for me it feels strange to run clockwise.

You may be right Fluffy.

When you watch the olympics or whatever.. they always run anti clockwise.. maybe from watching that.. you just naturally do it

too much time at the track might have donw it - might see clon lining up for the cup next year.

lol

Clon.....google is your friend!

the basic consensus is that it is a throw back to roman chariot racing where they raced anti-clockwise. This lead into the Olympics and all your athletics as a child would have followed suit. The rest is all psychology and association. (possibly to do with your mother)

Other thoughts on the subject are that the majority of people in the worl being right handed, they have more strength on this side so running on a bend that tends to the left (anti-clockwise) provides more power off of your stronger leg.

But it is pretty much one of lifes great mysteries. There is other thoughts that the coranis?? or whatver effect to (the thing that makes people believe that water in the southern hemisphere spin in a different direction) has something to do with it.

a link for you

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-65364,00.html

The funny thing about the way water spins is that in a normal sink, bathtub etc there is more effect from the friction of the vessel and the turbulance already in the water than the coriolis effect

in actuality flufster coriolis effect has no effect on water and the way it spins.

mate she has better taste than to let you near her.

Dan - they havnt been able to confirm that for certain, a guy once went to conduct an experiement where he let water (like 10,000 litres) sit in a sealed room at constant temperature for an extended period of time - weeks to months in order to get it to be still. It was sitting in a specially designed high quality container that was as even in friction as possible in order to negate any effect.

Problem was his actuation of the "plug pulling" caused recordable effect on water.

There is an effect but it is only seen in huge masses like cyclones etc

Which is why Fluffy it is a myth! If it were not a myth then enough simple controlled experiments would be able to be performed.

Plain and simple it may have some effect but the general myth is exactly that...a myth.

I took the avatar of Dan's cartoon cowboy & Fluffy's photographic bird image & whilst i had both in hand I created a Coriolis effect by running counterclockwise really really really fast (almost cyclonic) and you would never guess what happened ?

Dan & Fluffy turned into an Australian version of the mythbusters !

and the comedown is a bitch, especially when I pull out the banhammer.

just kidding

Science is cool ok?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4