rule changes introduced for 2011

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
-    A penalty will only be awarded against a leg pull if it directly affects the speed of the play-the-ball;

I can't understand the point with this one.  It seems to add room for subjectivity where is not not necessary.  Are they suggesting that some players do leg pulls for reasons other than slowing down the play the ball?  If so, what are they?  Or are they saying that if a player tried to slow down the play the ball with a leg pull but he is not successful he does not deserve to be penalised?  What if it "indirectly" slows down the play the ball - why is a penalty not justified in that case?

Dan link said:
So as I suspected with the rule changes the stupidest of all the rules the drop out one was the one that cost us.

I mean seriously had anyone really noticed or cared before this rule change that people were kicking the ball a little over the line?

1m in front does not equate to an extra 20 down the field. Seriously what a non issue this rule change is. All the other changes were reasonable apart from this one
I with you on this one, how ridiculous. Even if it were a metre (Which it's not, usually 6 to 18inches) does it make that much of a difference?

swoop link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=186724.msg323046#msg323046 date=1300061199]
So as I suspected with the rule changes the stupidest of all the rules the drop out one was the one that cost us.

I mean seriously had anyone really noticed or cared before this rule change that people were kicking the ball a little over the line?

1m in front does not equate to an extra 20 down the field. Seriously what a non issue this rule change is. All the other changes were reasonable apart from this one
I with you on this one, how ridiculous. Even if it were a metre (Which it's not, usually 6 to 18inches) does it make that much of a difference?
[/quote]

yup and before i read this original post the other week, I had never noticed an issue with it. Dropouts are hard enough, so i have no problems with people taking a few extra inches for the kick.

Just a another example of over complicating the game and ridiculous pedantry from the games officials to make the game more about them than just letting the game be played out

I don't mind it actually - quite seriously a few times last year I thought some players were 1m over the line when taking drop outs. There's a line, its the rule and players can take the kick from further back if they are worried about it! If the extra distance doesn't make a difference then the players should just do that - but as they try to kick it on or as close to the line as possible would suggest they think every bit of distance helps.

I'm also happy with penalising offsides at kick off and drop out - i hated last year when refs would say 'stay behind' and then do nothing when players were a metre or so in front of the kicker.

Its more about having the posts there. Its tough to kick the ball especially for short dropouts from straight under the post.

Honestly I think its just another reason for refs to blow the whistle for something that won't impact anyone. I'd prefer that rather than a penalty they make play advantage to the other team and then make them take the kick again if there is none

I agree with you Dan.On Sat night,one ref was standing right next to DCE (I think it was),and I assume the other was out with the receiving team,and the touchies watching for potential kicks going out.So,who was watching the kicking team with the onside?The ref on the spot couldn't see behind him,so maybe some teams will use this to their advantage,and "creep" on the refs blindside.

can i just say on saturday night
i thought the ref and video ref did a fairly good job.

Both the melbourne no tries i full expected to be awarded even though they were both no tries.

I think the second one where slater took out Williams was a great pick up.

I have no dramas with the drop kick penalty as long as they are consistent for the next 30 weeks.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8