Rule Changes between 1973 and Now

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe the hair pulling footage is in the fibros v silvertails doco, where Steve knight has his hair savagely pulled by Tommy or Bruce Gibbs. Sickening cowardly act.

Peter C said:
In the 60's there weren't any trainers, you had the St John's Ambulance men.
Also there was no Ray Hadley, but guys like Frank Hyde and Tiger Black, who actually called the game, rather than this vaudeville show that is on every week.
I used to tune into Frank Hyde on 2SM,
with the famous goal kicking line,
"It's high, it's long & it's straight between the posts".

Peter C said:
In the 60's there weren't any trainers, you had the St John's Ambulance men.
Also there was no Ray Hadley, but guys like Frank Hyde and Tiger Black, who actually called the game, rather than this vaudeville show that is on every week.

I believe they called the St John's people "Zambucks" or something like that.

Ray Hadley has never been long enough, but probably has been high enough :p

There was also Ron Casey (the one who couldn't pronounce his R's) and is 150% pro Sydney view on life. Didn't he once refer to the crowd at Lang Park as "Queensland Hillbillies in Premier Joh's Bananaland"? IIRC Jack Gibson once said that mob would boo Santa.

Also, back in the 1970's with no such thing as a salary cap rich club supporters such as Kerry Packer could virtually pay a players salary, like he did when he enticed Bozo to leave Manly and play for Easts. And the league wouldn't bat an eyelid at it.

Here is something that the league didn't have, even up until the 1990's. Its something I wish they would bring back. No Todd Greenturd.

Alan said:
EaglesDontTweet said:
And did the experiment in having player numbers on the front of jerseys stop because of sponsorship - or was it because the opposition didn't have to lift their head so high to see who just poked them in the eye and pulled at their (very long at the time) hair.:rolleyes:

Don't know what era you are talking about, but before fancy materials the numbers used to be plastic .... the ball when it hit you on the chest just slid off. This is the main reason the iconic big white eagle on the front of the 50's jersey was lost.

Alan, I'm thinking my memories are of a Panthers jumper in the late 70's with the number on the front, but it was Sawtell Panthers (Group 2) not Penrith Panthers. I know the country teams ran pretty much identical jumpers to the city in those days but they must have altered it. Don't think Les and Noel Cleal wore it when playing there but it was around that era. Would hate to have seen their numbers running at me back then.:s

EaglesDontTweet said:
Alan said:
EaglesDontTweet said:
And did the experiment in having player numbers on the front of jerseys stop because of sponsorship - or was it because the opposition didn't have to lift their head so high to see who just poked them in the eye and pulled at their (very long at the time) hair.:rolleyes:

Don't know what era you are talking about, but before fancy materials the numbers used to be plastic .... the ball when it hit you on the chest just slid off. This is the main reason the iconic big white eagle on the front of the 50's jersey was lost.

Alan, I'm thinking my memories are of a Panthers jumper in the late 70's with the number on the front, but it was Sawtell Panthers (Group 2) not Penrith Panthers. I know the country teams ran pretty much identical jumpers to the city in those days but they must have altered it. Don't think Les and Noel Cleal wore it when playing there but it was around that era. Would hate to have seen their numbers running at me back then.:s

The other problem with the sew-on numbers was they kept getting torn off.

Ps. Woopi will kick your arse this year.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Daddycool08 said:
I saw Bozo score a try in the 1972 grand final and saw the opposition player pull his hair so hard it banged the back of his head into the ground and left him a bit dazed.
That's odd, cause Bozo did not score a try during the 1972 GF. :huh:
Besides '72 is before the perview of this thread. :D
He did score a couple however, in the 1973 GF.

Terribly sorry about that I got the year wrong. You know we've won so many grand finals.

I'd better hide the 'mistake police' are after me! Shheesh :p

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4