Rugby League Still Exists!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
I'm watching the replay of Samoa v Tonga. Although a little scrappy, this is the type of football I remember watching when I was a kid. It is not a clinical and boring as the current NRL. The players are throwing the ball around, running hard, hitting hard and seem to be having a hell of a lot of fun!

After seeing the snooze fest that was the Australia v New Zealand Test, I hope that the NRL can make changes to encourage teams to play more exciting football.

I'm sick of the same predictable style that every team plays. The NRL seems to be going to whoever has the best athletes wins. Skill seems to be a secondary requirement.

So, how to fix it? I'd start with major and minor penalties. Minor penalties simply reset the tackle count. Major penalties are either for kick for touch or penalty goal. Major penalties are those that would result in a bin or player on report. The intent would be to reduce the extent players play for penalties by reducing the advantage gained.

Second, introduce a 5min binning. The refs seems to openly refuse to bin players. Players know this and will hold a player down after a line break and give up the penalty rather than a try. It kills all momentum and excitement from the game.

Third, I'd further reduce the interchange to 8 or even 6. The little skillful guys are getting killed these days. Having a 130kg backrower running at a 70kg halfback is going to result in only one way, injury. Further reducing the interchange will reduce the appeal of these giants.

Forth, reducion to one ref and two touch judges. Eliminate the bunker. If the NRL is deadset on video review, use the NRL system. The ref runs to the sideline and reviews the play himself. This leaves all decisions in the hands of the man on the ground. Also, include technology so forwards passes, offsides and knock-ons can be accurately rules on. It's not hard, soccer can do it, why can't the NRL?

Finally, scheduling. Move all tests and SOO are moved to the end of the season. No more 5 day turn arounds for anyone. Same Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday night games for all teams. If I can do this on a sinple excel spreadsheet, surely the "professionals" in NRL headquarters can too.

Rant over. I want to praise the Tongan and Samoan teams. They played a fun and exciting game.

As a parting shot, Mal Maninga pull you head in you moron! To say that Phil Gould knows nothing about Test footbal when he stated the Australian side is too old because he hasn't played Test football is beyond belief. It's the single most ignorant thing I heard all week and this is the same week the Eels board have claimed they have done nothing wrong and are being hard done by.

Unfortunately it's going to get worse before it gets better... I cant under 20s as to me, a game that ends 42-36 isnt a great game, its a game full of kids who arnt taught how to tackle..the nrl doesnt want good football, they want fast "exciting" attack based garbage... 10 years from now the game will be about as interesting and skill filled as oztag

The pacific tests have been my favourite footy for a few years now. $$$ have killed footy as we knew it. Coaches playing the % to protect their million dollar a year pay packet, t.v. Stations needing an engineered product to suit ratings and advertising.
Then there is gambling, cheating, wrestling and on and on.

While ever we have Bennett and co. coaching NRL nothing will change.
If teams wanted this the Walker Bro's would have an NRL gig by now.

So sad that we need to wait till the pacific tests each year to watch some real footy.
Either that or go watch some local second grade ameteur games.

Couldn't agree more, last night's game was the first game this year I've actually enjoyed and not wanted to end (although Broncos v Cowboys was good too).

The main thing i noticed was the lack of wrestling, each team tackled the player to bring him down not to slow down the play the ball allowing much faster, free flowing attack.

The English Ref in the Fiji game was the best. Anytime anyone questioned him after a penalty, he walked them 10 meters. :clap:

The players finaly caught on and the game went on :nod:

Part of the better future we have before us in League is the development of the Island states. PNG should be in the NRL at some stage in future. Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, though not having great competitions at home, continually supply outstanding footballers. That's why New Zealand are so dominant in Union. The rugby codes were made for the Polynesians and Melanesians. They're naturals like the Australian Indigenous population. Bring them on. They know how to enjoy their game and are built for it. And they are damned entertaining to watch.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
Top post-something proactive and thought provoking. The soft penalty leg ups for teams to go 70 metres over something very innocuous is the major flaw with the game right now. The outcome of games are determined by pre conceived tip sheets to the referees...tell me it is not true. Manly are constantly copping it in this area.
Maybe instead of giving a penalty and kick to sideline, add 2 or 3 tackles to the set. As it is now, the predictability of these soft penalties are a blight to the game. I hate them

I'd add that the single referees have also helped the games this weekend (though I suspect that won't be the case in today's City vs Country game). NRL games are over-refereed and seeing one referee control this weeks games and the job they have done has been like a breath of fresh air.

We haven't had referees go in with an agenda of looking for certain things like they do in NRL games. We haven't had two conflicting referee interpretations of the same on-field incidents. And the best part is we haven't had the bunker throw their lot in during general play.

Its been good to watch so far.

The 5 min sin bin is something that needs to happen. That may help stop the wrestling as refs can bin 5mins for repeat offences. They are too scared to use a 10min.

Agreed but coaches do not want the 5 min sin bin. They will not agree to anything that may get one of their players off the field for any length of time.

If you want quality, enjoyable, old school RL, get yourself down to the local A grade comps.

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
This is not a rant @TagMonster. Your quality post is a Manifesto for the improvement / restoration of the game.
The current "product" bears very little relation to the original concept of RL, and is merely a telelvision contrivance. All equality has disappeared from the scheduling and refereeing of the 'matches'.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7