Rugby League in Victoria - Do they even care?

The storm have done nothing to grow the game in Vic, no feeder clubs in Vic doesn’t help. They have a history of cheating and constantly playing the victim. That is not going to win any new fans. If they don’t change things like that they may as well just be the new team in Qld

If the nrl is serious about making league popular in Victoria they need to ensure that the storm keep being the best team with the best players, and win heaps of premierships every decade.

So far the hundreds of millions of leg-up dollars over 20 years, with multiple premierships have secured the support of about 13,000 kiwis that live in Melbourne.

Going forward, a 25 year strategy and a generous budget should influence about another 5000 melbournians to attend a game every so often. I advise the nrl to double the funding for the storm.

And yet ... if we play a SOO game in Melb they can pack out the MCG ... the game, and Melb are big enough for a team to be based there .. just hate the team that is there ..

And as far as the coverage in the papers is concerned .... they are going the way of the dinosaur ... most fans get their info and supporter fix from social media the same as we do ...

And yet ... if we play a SOO game in Melb they can pack out the MCG ... the game, and Melb are big enough for a team to be based there .. just hate the team that is there ..

And as far as the coverage in the papers is concerned .... they are going the way of the dinosaur ... most fans get their info and supporter fix from social media the same as we do ...
Not correct Woodsie , when they had the big games at the G most flew in from BNE/ SYD.

I took a Broncos corporate group down to one , every flight up to about 2pm ex BNE were 99% full of maroon fans , and that had been the case for the two days before as well.

MCG crowds for SOO would be made up approximately of , 80% fly in fly out , 15% League fans living down south , 4% sponsors and 1% curious Melbournites.

Not correct Woodsie , when they had the big games at the G most flew in from BNE/ SYD.

I took a Broncos corporate group down to one , every flight up to about 2pm ex BNE were 99% full of maroon fans , and that had been the case for the two days before as well.

MCG crowds for SOO would be made up approximately of , 80% fly in fly out , 15% League fans living down south , 4% sponsors and 1% curious Melbournites.

Okay .. I stand corrected ... thanks

True... But apart from getting TV ratings in Victoria, there is no publicly accessible metric to gauge interest from Victoria as far as I know.

The newspapers aren't totally stupid, they have some idea what their audience wants to read... and if they wanted NRL content in Victoria they would make it more prominent.

For social media you would need to run an analytics company to see who clicks/interacts with articles, from what location (if available), on whichever form of social media contains NRL content. A lot of those people probably won't have watched the game (or any NRL games) either.

If the nrl is serious about making league popular in Victoria they need to ensure that the storm keep being the best team with the best players, and win heaps of premierships every decade.

So far the hundreds of millions of leg-up dollars over 20 years, with multiple premierships have secured the support of about 13,000 kiwis that live in Melbourne.

Going forward, a 25 year strategy and a generous budget should influence about another 5000 melbournians to attend a game every so often. I advise the nrl to double the funding for the storm.
I should add that the nrl must continue to do this at the expense of all the other clubs. Because it makes complete sense to ostracise millions of fans in NSW in the hope of securing less than 5000 new fans in Victoria, over a 25 year period.

That means no premierships for anyone except the storm for 25 years.

Having a team in Victoria is just window dressing by the NRL so as to appear as a Australia wide sport which in reality it is not. AFL on the other hand has made inroads in NSW with many juniors playing.
Exactly right, just window dressing by the NRL to appear to be a national sport, the same window dressing by the AFL when they try to play internationals in some convoluted hybrid game.
The reality is, the rest of the world outside of Victoria, South Australia and WA dont give a fck about AFL, now this will come as a shock a lot of Victorians, just like most people outside of NSW and QLD don't give a fck about Rugby League.
The Storm was just a manufactured team to appease News Corp, they are to Rugby League what the Monkees were to music, great in their time with great resources, but eventually it can't be sustained

I should add that the nrl must continue to do this at the expense of all the other clubs. Because it makes complete sense to ostracise millions of fans in NSW in the hope of securing less than 5000 new fans in Victoria, over a 25 year period.

That means no premierships for anyone except the storm for 25 years.
The thing is all the Premierships in the world wouldn’t make the average born and bred Victorian follow league.

I have a 14 year old Grandson living there , I do my best to have him knowledgeable about the game but it’s a losing battle as all he hears about , reads about and sees is AFL.

Children down there would NEVER be exposed to league unless perhaps their father is a tragic.

I think there’s a very VERY small junior league competition , played only where the Islander families live and it would get absolutely ZERO promotion or support by the NRL.

Whereas Auskick is HUGE, every Victorian child would be exposed to this from a very young age and the peer pressure to play is enormous.

My grandson played it for a couple of years , hated it and now plays soccer BUT he couldn’t name one player who played for the Storm yet he’d rattle off AFL players names and who they played for with his eyes shut.

League will NEVER succeed , it’s only there for one reason and one reason only , so they can uses the word “ National “ in their name.

SOO games in Melbourne only attract large crowds because of the absolute hatred that Mexicans have for New South Welshmen, if you remember back to past games played there the vast majority of crowd support is firmly behind Queensland

The Storm was just a manufactured team to appease News Corp, they are to Rugby League what the Monkees were to music, great in their time with great resources, but eventually it can't be sustained
Arguably the Monkees later stuff after they escaped their contract and put out a couple of great albums of their own music is really good. Also Mike Nesmith released awesome psychocountry albums in the early 70s.

Arguably the Monkees later stuff after they escaped their contract and put out a couple of great albums of their own music is really good. Also Mike Nesmith released awesome psychocountry albums in the early 70s.

Yeah, but which one got to keep the Monkeemobile?

Small and solid, being the only NRL team in the most populous city in the country.
Sydney...oh you mean Melbourne?

No Sydney is still larger and will remain so for some time to come, in large part courtesy of COVID-19 and Victoria’s ramshackle cum heavy handed response.

Suck sh-t Melbourne, you hubristic bastards.;)

Sydney...oh you mean Melbourne?

No Sydney is still larger and will remain so for some time to come, in large part courtesy of COVID-19 and Victoria’s ramshackle cum heavy handed response.

Suck sh-t Melbourne, you hubristic bastards.;)

I should have double checked that

But yes... 1 team in a city of nearly 5 million, you get the idea.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2