Roy Masters' journey to irrelevance is complete

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

andyeagle

Was just reading an article on SMH, minding my own business, when I came across this quote:

"The days when networks bought sports rights to prevent the opposition acquiring them – as Manly bought North Sydney first-graders and relegated them to reserve grade – are over."

WTF

How could anyone write such rubbish. Instead of continuing to read the article, I went up to see who wrote it. Who else, but our old mate (and I do mean old) Roy Masters. What a pathetic, bitter, irrelevant, ancient-agenda-driven toilet brush. Not sure if I can ever read an article by him again. Many of you may already have done so. Can he still not get over Manly consistently smashing his hopeless magpies?

Also made me wonder how many Manly players went to Norths. I could think of Fred Teasdell, Wayne Chisholm, Kerry Boustead, Phil Blake and Ivan Cleary. There must be plenty more

You can get angry (though with not being able to go anywhere it's harder to release the craken)..

Or just look at it and laugh at the sad attempt at click bait and what a poor poor little coward of a man he must be to keep writing this gibberish.

I choose just to laugh...and feel a bit smug at how much it must bug him. What's wests again? Who were they? Did they do anything? lol

Good point Andy.

The Club will turn the other cheek, rather than challenge Masters to name all those Norths’ first graders who played reserve grade at Manly. Nor does the SMH have the editorial grunt to challenge Masters’ assertions.

I can think of perhaps two that fit into Roy’s argument. Graham Williams circa 1971 and the winger that came across with John Gray and Bruce Walker in 1978 - Mick Healey.

Last edited:
Masters is and always was a small man, igniting a class war when he was more of a silvertail than any of the people he accused of being.

Ironic that he lives in Drizzle land and is a huge fan of them, Now if memory serves me correct, didnt they cheat to gain an adavantage over several years? Are they or where they not beneficial from a multi billion dollar media empire that once tried to destroy the fabric of our game including his precious Magpies.

He likes to spit poison at our club to get a rise and Roy will never quite get over that in 1978 when he started this war, His Maggots won a few battles but WE won the war that year!

You can get angry (though with not being able to go anywhere it's harder to release the craken)..

Or just look at it and laugh at the sad attempt at click bait and what a poor poor little coward of a man he must be to keep writing this gibberish.

I choose just to laugh...and feel a bit smug at how much it must bug him. What's wests again? Who were they? Did they do anything? lol
A delusional old windbag trying to rewrite history to suit his own agenda. He is funny though, he's become a caricature of himself.

Harry James Wells (born 8 May 1932) is an Australian former representative

rugby league

footballer who played in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. A centre whose club career was played along the New South Wales coast as well as in Sydney with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the
Western Suburbs Magpies, ... as "the Millionaires " in buying up a talent roster including Arthur Summons, ...

Last edited:
I remember the Daily Mirror doing a full page spread on 'Wests The millionaires club" in the 60's. They had just bought Kel O'Shea to go with the other blokes mentioned. We are always accused of pinching Wests players but they got plenty of ours like Nama Walkaden, Tony Antanuc, Stephen Knight and Robbie Parker (ex Manly RU). I am sure there are lot more. Masters is a sad old hack.

I recall a few years ago when Thomas Keneally and Roy Masters were interviewed prior to another Manly grand final victory. Thomas Keneally put Roy under the hammer with his constant disparaging remarks at Manly by the time Keneally was through with him Roy looked like a little lost boy being reprimanded by a school principle. This is the same little man that pissed off from the magpies and joined St George to chase money and a title. But lets not forget the simple fact that as a coach the only way he could get results was by getting his team to instigate aggressive violence on the field. He was able to get away with it at wests but was a complete utter failure at St George. Roy is a very bitter little man that has not been able to accept his inability to win a title due to lack of coaching ability. He forgets that when he had a team full of players like Les Boyd, John Dorahey , Tom Raudonikis, John Donnelly, Terry Lamb, and still was not able to win a title. A Coach that turned a football game into a blood bath by preparing his team before Manly match's with face slapping. Even during a period of anything goes on the field this is and was the most appalling tactic used by a coach. He should have been visited by the police and charged for instigating a team to assault themselves . Unfortunately the face slapping incident was all he had in his brilliant coaching folder. what a pity little man, a failure as a coach, a writer of little significance still making a living of a failed coaching career.

Last edited:
John gray started at manly. Walker and Irvine both wanted to come to manly to win premierships. And they did!

goldie was in reserves a fair bit in the early 80s But that was quite a long time after 1978.

I can’t think of anyone put in reserves to keep them away from norths. McKinnon played 1st grade for us at the end of his career. Mitchell cox played plenty of firsts ( and he was manly RU originally anyway). Cliffy played first grade from memory!! Cliff’s bio outlines that he left norths because they were a shambles. I think they all did.

I remember the Daily Mirror doing a full page spread on 'Wests The millionaires club" in the 60's. They had just bought Kel O'Shea to go with the other blokes mentioned. We are always accused of pinching Wests players but they got plenty of ours like Nama Walkaden, Tony Antanuc, Stephen Knight and Robbie Parker (ex Manly RU). I am sure there are lot more. Masters is a sad old hack.
And des

I can't remember any ex Norths player that Manly essentially parked in Reserve grade. I think Roy has Mitchell Cox in mind, but he played plenty of first grade at Manly and heaps of chances. There were times in the late 1970s where Manly had Test players like Goldie Walker in Reserves, but that was only when the starting first grade team had no injuries & someone had to miss out, but that was super rare. This photo is Goldie in first grade vs Bears in the black V jersey.

bruce-walker-manly-north-sydney-rl-team-v-manly-warringah-rl-team-at-picture-id1079440676

Last edited:
I can't remember any ex Norths player that Manly essentially parked in Reserve grade. I think Roy has Mitchell Cox in mind, but he played plenty of first grade at Manly and heaps of chances.
Yeah and he was originally poached by norths from manly rugby union. He was a manly boy through and through, running a car dealership at Balgowlah for many years. Last spotted signing the sea eagles 4 pines cartons that were released recently. His brother was half at manly union for many years too.

Steve knight was also manly rugby union before being poached by wests. So if these are masters’ examples they are piss poor.

another little known fact, Ben Kennedy was at manly RU before he went to Canberra.He did this because Josef, beaver, gartner, oj etc were at manly.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8