Round the Corner kicking!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Zep

Bencher
I don't know the answer, but i was wondering who was the first player in AUS to start the fad.

thanks

John Gray was one of the first players to adopt this style. He played first for Norths and then for us. In the 1971/2 period some pommy kicked this way for the Gt Britain team when they played us in tests. Imports like Cliff Watson, Tommy Bishop, Gary Stevens, Mal Reilly, Phil Lowe etc were around then but none were kickers but I wouldn't be surprised if there was another pom around them who used the style.

yep john gray was the 1st kicker...i dont remember any 1 else  in that time period who did.. all of them were toe punters  eadie rogers  all layed ball down same as cronin.. i think dorahy  stood ball up on sand but still toe poked it  or maybe that was ted goodwin  ..  i knw one of them 2 placed ball in upright position but they still  toe punted it ....  john ribot was a kicker to but back then he was know as john ribot debrasca or some s***t like that..played for newtown ..

John Ribot de bressac.And yes,John Gray is the first kicker in Oz that I can think of that kicked round the corner.His style was to have the ball almost straight upright,rather than the slightly angled style favoured today.Next I can think of was coming into the Ross Conlon type era.

Meant to add-Ribot played in QLD before moving to Newtown Jets 1978/79,Wests Magpies 1980/81,Manly Sea-Eagles 1982/83,then back to the Redcliffe Dolphins 1984/85.Top try scorer in the NSWRL in 1980.

ayjay007 link said:
John Ribot de bressac.And yes,John Gray is the first kicker in Oz that I can think of that kicked round the corner.His style was to have the ball almost straight upright,rather than the slightly angled style favoured today.Next I can think of was coming into the Ross Conlon type era.
..thank you ajay007.. regarding the spelling..

actually another pom import  who played with us also had the round corner kick style .although he wasnt used as our main kicker he did kick some  for us in mid 70`s..  phil lowe...

ayjay007 link said:
Meant to add-Ribot played in QLD before moving to Newtown Jets 1978/79,Wests Magpies 1980/81,Manly Sea-Eagles 1982/83,then back to the Redcliffe Dolphins 1984/85.Top try scorer in the NSWRL in 1980.

Shame at the end of 85 he didn't move to the edge of a cliff and jump off it

It's funny how the kicking has evolved over the years.It went from the lay down toe-poke,to the straight up round the corner style.Now they've gone back to almost the lay down style,but using an instep soccer kick instead.

Canteen Worker link said:
On my wedding day, John Gray kicked one from the sideline on the bell to beat Norths by a point!!!

Can't believe you got married during the footy season. That was my first major say in my wedding "Not in Footy Season"!!!!

As for this style of kicking, not surprised a few of the poms brought it on, it is the way you are taught to kick in soccer

Was at Brookie for Mike Edens first game in the top grade. First kick was from the left touch line. Put it over.Second try was in the right corner. Said to my dad this will be tougher but he changed foot and knocked it over with his left foot.

I would say that Matthew Ridge was the first Manly player to lean the ball forward when kicking around the corner style. He and Halligan set the trend really. And when you look back at video's of Ridge kicking he didn't lean the ball anywhere near as forward as what kickers today do, yet he was deadly accurate.

Before Ridge, Snoz kicked around the corner but stood the ball upright. Mal Cochrane was a toe poker from memory. Dale Shearer started out as a toe poker but changed his style around 1993 to kick around the corner.

John Gray once said in an interview that kicking around the corner was easier for him because that's how he kicked a soccer ball when he was growing up. It just felt more natural.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4