Round 18 - Non Manly Games

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Wheel said:
Bennett there or kogarah?

It's certainly a possibility that he will go to the Titans but they can't afford the payout to John Cartwright according to the SMH

Brad Walter - SMH Chief Rugby League Writer said:
St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust is expected to meet Wayne Bennett early next week to discuss the possibility of the seven-times premiership winning coach returning to the club next season.

The Dragons insist no offer has yet been tabled for Bennett but he is now at the top of their list to take over the coaching reins following Steve Price's sacking in May.

Of the other teams Bennett has been linked to, the Cowboys have the strongest roster but he may prefer to move closer to home in south-east Queensland if the Broncos or Titans make him a suitable offer – although there are doubts whether Gold Coast could afford a $1 million payout for the remaining two years of John Cartwright's contract.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/st-george-illawarra-set-to-move-on-wayne-bennett-20140711-zt4kv.html

Well the honeymoon's over in the Shire already, too.
The Noughts rallied, and got up for old Wayne in the end.

If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I'd still back Bennett to head closer to home, somewhere in QLD.

I got both games wrong, tipping today.

Still hoping the Bronx perform a minor miracle over at the foot of the mountains tomorrow.

Not happy I believed the reviews of the titans-raiders game that all picked the titans.....and changed my tip.

Getting harder to make my charge from 60th place!!

Try trying to make a move from 76th.

I been stuck there for about 3 weeks now.

I've picked the 'Riff tonight; but hope the Bronx get up.

The Worriers look more and more likely to make the 8 from here.

Unfortunately it also looks like the Scum will too, probly at the expense of the Squeels.

That final possie in the 8 is really up for grabs now.

mickqld said:
Surely Cartwright is gone. They can't keep him for another couple of years.

I'm certainly not sticking up for Cartwright, but they have some
players running around on the park that wouldn't make the local A grade teams.
That said, Cartwright and Zillman must have a laugh together at a club that signed them up for five year contracts.:-/

wombatgc said:
mickqld said:

That said, Cartwright and Zillman must have a laugh together at a club that signed them up for five year contracts.:-/

They (the Titans) were leading the comp, and won quite a few mate.

Before their usual slide back down the ladder.

Which suggests to me it's mental, more than outright ability.

They do rely on Myles and Bird too much tho (AND Harrison before he recently retired).

If a team is that ''hot and cold'' it does come down to mental-toughness or motivation. And that is where a coach does, or doesn't, make a difference.

Prince spoke up about how their culture needs to change in his newspaper colum and how they should no longer accept mediorocraty, a few weeks later they punted him.

RiverEagle said:
wombatgc said:
mickqld said:

They do rely on Myles and Bird too much tho (AND Harrison before he recently retired).

If a team is that ''hot and cold'' it does come down to mental-toughness or motivation. And that is where a coach does, or doesn't, make a difference.

I'll be happy if they continue along with their "hot and cold" form but just as long as they don't find their "hot" form for round 23. :D

RiverEagle said:
wombatgc said:
mickqld said:

Round 1 they beat the Sharks by 6
Round 2 they were flogged by the Tigers by 30
Round 3 they beat Canberra by 12
Round 4 they beat Nth Qld by 1 point
Round 5 they beat the scum by 2 points
Round 6 they beat the donkeys by 4 points

That's when they were on top of the table. Since then they have won 2 games. Of the 5 wins above only the scum are genuine top 8 teams and that's debatable at the moment. They are a rubbish team coached by a rubbish coach. I hope Cartwright stays there, that guarantees they won't be a competitive side.

why did the knights kick a field goal towards the end?

Taking the margin from 12 to 13????

SCANDAL!!!!!!

I don't agree they are rubbish. They have some very talented players.
What they lack is a winning culture, which I think stems from the fact that many residents of the Gold Coast are 'blow-ins'. If they follow RL they already have their own team. It's why when Manly plays on the Gold Coast we almost outnumber the local fans.
They have a great ground, something that many people would like to see at Brookvale, but it lacks atmosphere. And, of course, it has no hill.

Jethro said:
RiverEagle said:

I'll be happy if they continue along with their "hot and cold" form but just as long as they don't find their "hot" form for round 23. :D

Yeah and they always seem to go alright against us, too.

If they can lift enough to challenge, or even beat us, it shows they've got the ability.

Just not the mental toughness to do it week in, week out.

The way this round has gone the Bronx could give us another upset tonight.

It would be freezing out at Penrith - seems like Hunt is a beat up, Moylan ran past him easy :)

Giddy up Broncs, three is a crowd at the top of the Ladder!

That pass by Soward at speed...brilliant. Then nails it from the sideline....should be a cracking second half.:)

Great try, that Moylan is the real deal.

Peachy did his pectoral, and some Fan snapped his leg in the half time entertainment :s

Giddy up Broncs!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6