Round 1 - Why the commotion?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Hamster Huey

Space Invader
Firstly, I took a few days off from visiting the site after last Friday, realising that losses like that can get more than a few panties in a bunch. A return and scan through the content since would indicate that this was the case....again.

Why 'again'?

Well, it seems that most on here have forgotten that rain, hail or shine, we rarely turn up for Round 1 matches.

I can't think of any particularly reason why, but our history since the 2005 opener (beginning of our 10 year finals run) has seen us rarely up for a big one after the pre-season.

So how bad are we? In 11 matches (2005-2015) we have won just four of them, and just one of those was at Brookvale (where we have lost four despite home ground advantage).

We have handed out just the one flogging but received three 13+ beltings. There is a points differential of -42 over that time and can only point at a win/loss of 3-3 for away games as some sort of positive.

Premiers, steady squads or turnovers, turmoil, positive pre-season vibes....none of it makes a difference to the end result: we don't turn up ready for Round 1.

And it happens again in 2016. The club receives a plethora of positive media leading up, parades the new guys, talk up the improvements pre-season, yada, yada, yada....and 6-28 later we're all wonder what went wrong.

I've given up trying to work out what is going on for the first game of the season. There is no rhyme or reason for the continual stumble at the starting block.

But I can just sit back in the aftermath and confidently state that despite the result, it has no correlation with how the season ends up.

Last edited:
Winning culture has patience. April premiers always slide, but timing the build to a gf is as much a part of coaching as anything if you are comfortable where you are.

Pressures, anxieties have some clubs , generally the same clubs that have been starved for success jump out trying to secure a top 8 spot before the wheels fall off

Its my opinion that footy is generally pretty dull until origin is over when the contenders make a pkay

Sure a few clubs okay different due to heavy rep focus but the good teams dont try to go hard for 26 rounds.its about when you time and taper

Lets boycott Round 1 from 2017, its an anti-Manly conspiracy by the NRL.

Maybe next year, seeing as though we know what is going happen, we don't even watch the 1st match of the season. Tipping comp, Fantasy etc all starts from Round 2. Dan can start the Ladder round round 2.

It was a particularly poor performance and hopefully Monday night will be a lot better otherwise it is going to be a long season (again)

It was so bad that people were leaving the Jane try stand with 27 minutes still to go in the seccond half.

I think the commotion might be due to the fact that

- we hate losing
- we hate losing at home
- we especially hate losing to the Dogs
- we can't stand losing to Des
- we especially hate losing by 13+ points
Plus the Boz&Baz New Era has promised us a shiny, untarnished by the past, team of super strong Dare Devils :)

I say again, we were filled with non stop good news by ZtH & his mates in the media, it's been a non stop barrage for 4 months ( and doesn't my revelation of the " cafe gate" conversation with TB now ring 110% true).

So me, along with tens of thousands of others were so hyped up that losing in the fashion we did caused us to begin period pains a month early!!

Unlike this week where my expectations are we will lose by a motza, so if we do I'll just say " as expected ".

it wasn't the loss that hurt it was all the same defensive issues as last year plus we now have bad hands, no line speed in defense and poor squad balance. We look far worse despite all the signings this year and all the injuries last year.

The only positive is that we cannot stay that bad (barring injuries)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4