Ross prefers Sharks to Bunnies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blunty

Reserve Grader
Ross prefers Sharks to Bunnies
By James Hooper
July 14, 2005

QUEENSLAND Origin prop Ben Ross is poised to ink a $1.6million four-year deal with Cronulla in the next 48 hours - with the lure of playing alongside Brett Kimmorley a major factor.

Squeezed out of Penrith due to salary cap constraints, Maroons enforcer Ross last night concluded a whirlwind tour of the Shire before announcing he would confirm his new club in the near future.

A late entrant into the player movement market, Ross is expected to reject approaches to join Melbourne, South Sydney and North Queensland to link with the Sharks.

In another hectic day in the open marketplace, South Sydney secured their first major scalp in the form of Kiwi Test back-rower Joe Galuvao.

As exclusively revealed in The Daily Telegraph yesterday, Galuvao will join the Rabbitohs on a three-year deal worth $1million.

Souths are also primed to announce the recruitment of former Queensland Origin flyer Brett Dallas along with former Queensland forward Chris McKenna.

Maroons forward Ross confirmed his switch of clubs would be announced at some stage over the weekend, admitting Galuvao's move to Souths had made his choice more difficult.

"I had a look at Cronulla and I was very impressed with what they had to show," he said. "Now I'll just weigh up my options over the next few days.

"It has made it a little more difficult with Joe Galuvao signing with Souths - it throws another spanner in the works.

"I want to play with a quality halfback and Cronulla have Brett Kimmorley, so it also depends on what Matt Orford decides to do in Melbourne."

The lure of playing alongside Kangaroos halfback Kimmorley is one of the major drawcards linking Ross to Cronulla. Elsewhere on the halfback front, Melbourne's Orford is currently weighing up offers from the Storm, Manly Sea Eagles and South Sydney.

The City Origin playmaker is also expected to make a decision in the next 48 hours, with the Sea Eagles favoured to win his signature.

Cronulla chief executive Steve Rogers was last night hopeful of securing Panthers prop Ross, who would fit in perfectly to the Sharks structure with veteran front-row forward Jason Stevens retiring.

"If body language counts for anything he was pretty comfortable," Rogers said.

"We think Ben would be great for us and we would be great for him.

"We answered all the queries he had and questions in relation to how we operate and who we have on and off contract.

"Hopefully that will transform into Ben signing with us. We know he would be a tremendous asset."

Kiwi Test forward Galuvao revealed he would be attempting to talk Ross into linking with Souths.

"I'd love to see him at Souths but his manager will do what's best for Benny - I might have a quiet chat and get in his ear tomorrow, maybe twist his arm," Galuvao said.

The Daily Telegraph

I know its just the Telegraph, but a few days ago Ross had all but gone to the Storm. Interesting that he wants to play alongside a class halfback, and hence is leaning towards Cronulla. Does he know something we don't?

mimis likes manly too.... a little birdy told me that anyway

make sure its white, there is already enough clashing with their red and green colours

I was actually told last week that the Sharks were his prefered destination.He used to live there upto 12 weeks ago when he finally purchased a home near Penrith.He thought he was safe at the Panther's for the foreseable future so go figure,which you would believe so just signing a new 3 year contract last year.He did begin his career at St George so he likes the area.

if he signs with melbourne, Orford will likely stay there. so I hope he goes to the sharks

I'm with you Daniel..It will be the only time i will cheer for those half baked flake boy's. :yeah:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4