Rookie Manly forward Tyson Andrews beats demons to grab dream

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Rookie Manly Sea Eagles forward Tyson Andrews beats demons to grab dream

BEFORE making his NRL debut with the Sea Eagles Tyson Andrews had to tackle his own demons.

The 24-year-old has courageou
TysonAndrews1.jpg
sly opened for the first time about how he overcame his battle with depression to fulfill his lifelong dream of playing premiership football.

Andrews was in the Broncos Under 20s side but walked away from the game at the end of the 2009 season.

“I was thinking I wasn’t good enough, that sort of plays with your head when you are younger,” he said.

“Playing with the players like Josh McGuire and Andrew McCullough and Ben Hunt you see they were great players especially in the Under 20s they were on the rise straight away.

“And you look at them and go ‘I am never going to be at that level because of how quickly they developed.’

“As a kid all you dream about is playing NRL and when you believe that dream isn’t possible — or you have that doubt where you can’t make it — in a way your whole world comes crashing around you and it puts you in that state where you are not in a happy place.

“I haven’t really talked about it but looking back on it now it probably was a little bit of depression with myself.”

To compound his own personal struggles his uncle took his life and in April last year North Queensland Cowboy Alex Elisala, a former teammate of Andrews at the Mackay Cutters club, did the same.

“When that happened it really hit home, it got me really emotional because I played with him and he was a mate,” Andrews said.

“It helped me realise looking back at that time that I was probably in a bit of that state without even knowing about it

“It all piles on top of each other and you don’t know how to deal with it and you really don’t know what to make of it.

“When you are a young footballer coming through a lot of pressure builds up on yourself.”

While his parents and partner Shivaun were always there for him, in what is an all too familiar scenario, Andrews kept his feelings to himself.

“You are playing a tough sport and try to put on that persona,” Andrews said.

“It was hard to talk about it, at the time you kind of hide things.

“The best thing is to just talk about it and I am just learning that now with my partner and she has done a good with prying everything out of me.”

After leaving the game Andrews took up boxing, becoming undefeated Australian amateur heavyweight champion.

“That really helped clear my head and put things into perspective,” he said.

“Taking a step back from everything and really looking at the bigger picture did help me out a bit.”

That break also made Andrews realise how much he missed rugby league and he joined the Mackay Cutters in a bid to kickstart his career.

He remembers sitting among the North Queensland cane fields while working on the roads and just thinking about the day when he would run out to play NRL.

“On that day I realised that is what I wanted to do and that is what I was going to do,” he said.

This year he was signed by the Sea Eagles and has become another player to thrive in the club’s renowned culture.

Tonight he has another chance to demonstrate he deserves to play NRL when Manly takes on his Broncos team at Brookvale Oval.

“I am in an awesome space now,” he said.

“I don’t necessarily want to be the best NRL player ever but just a player that everyone respects and doesn’t take a backwards step is what I want to be remembered as.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rookie-manly-sea-eagles-forward-tyson-andrews-beats-demons-to-grab-dream/story-fni3gnk1-1227009084190

JON GEDDES THE DAILY TELEGRAPH AUGUST 01, 2014

Rookie Manly Sea Eagles forward Tyson Andrews beats demons to grab dream

BEFORE making his NRL debut with the Sea Eagles Tyson Andrews had to tackle his own demons.

The 24-year-old has courageously opened for the first time about how he overcame his battle with depression to fulfill his lifelong dream of playing premiership football.

Read More

Thanks @HappilyManly. I saw this on the back page of the Daily today and wanted to put the article on here but a bit beyond my technical abilities :dodgy:

Its a nice insight on Tyson's background. Sounds like he's had a rough couple of years. Glad he's come out the other end and enjoying life now. Hopefully he'll stay in 1st grade for us for the foreseeable future - fulfil his dream and be happy :)

I was watching Insight on SBS the other night. It was an all male audience and the topic was men and suicide.
Preston Campbell was a speaker. I didn't know about his previous issues with depression but it all makes sense now and makes me despise the way the media represents athletes as gods and then rips them to shreds.
He wins the Dally M in '01. Everyone's raving about him. He then suffers a few injuries and a change in playing position and suddenly he's not what everyone thought and spirals into depression, attempting suicide twice before being taken to a psychologist by his new coach, John Lang.
The pressure on athletes is huge and they are raved about one moment and condemned the next.
What Snake went through in '09 would have been devastating for him and his family. Lucky he came through.
I'm not a fan of Robbie Farah as a player but the way the media have bagged him the last week is very wrong.
Peoples lives are more important than sensationalised journalism.
It's surprising we don't hear about more athletes with mental health issues.

Best of luck to Tyson Andrews, chin up kid. Go Manly!

niccipops said:
I'm not a fan of Robbie Farah as a player but the way the media have bagged him the last week is very wrong.

If you think that Robbie Farah has been copping it bad from the media, imagine what Brett was going through when he was falsely charged with sexual assault and to think, there are still some out there who don't think or can't accept that he was innocent even though he was proven innocent in a court of law.

niccipops said:
I was watching Insight on SBS the other night. It was an all male audience and the topic was men and suicide.
Preston Campbell was a speaker. I didn't know about his previous issues with depression but it all makes sense now and makes me despise the way the media represents athletes as gods and then rips them to shreds.
He wins the Dally M in '01. Everyone's raving about him. He then suffers a few injuries and a change in playing position and suddenly he's not what everyone thought and spirals into depression, attempting suicide twice before being taken to a psychologist by his new coach, John Lang.
The pressure on athletes is huge and they are raved about one moment and condemned the next.
What Snake went through in '09 would have been devastating for him and his family. Lucky he came through.
It's surprising we don't hear about more athletes with mental health issues.

Best of luck to Tyson Andrews, chin up kid. Go Manly!

If you feel like you can't talk to anyone I encourage you to talk to a psychologist. There are some real good ones doing great work, if most sports teams/ stars can have one then why not you.
Prestons story was very touching to hear ( thank God for Lang) and brings home how bad our super Heros can feel away from the spot light.

Plus Wolfie's demise is all PTSD. :(
Choc made a worrying reference to Wolfie's downs as being very low.

These Athletes have even more pressure on them than the average man, to deal with pressure on their own :cool:

We can only hope that by airing these programs, more males will accept mental health issues as real :angel:

HappilyManly said:
Plus Wolfie's demise is all PTSD. :(
Choc made a worrying reference to Wolfie's downs as being very low.

These Arhletes have even more pressure on them than the average man, to deal with pressure on their own :cool:

We can only hope that by airing these programs, more males will accept mental health issues as real :angel:

I just finished a book written by former high ranking police officer Belinda Neil (under siege). It targets PTSD. But it touches on many other mental health issues. Not only aspiring, but gives scientifically proven techniques to negate some of these issues.I highly recommend this book.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2