Romantic Rinaldi at home on the Coast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
Romantic Rinaldi at home on the Coast
12:00a.m. 3rd February 2009
| By Peter Gardiner
http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2009/feb/03/julien-rinaldi-sunshine-coast-manly-sea-eagles/

It is fitting that an affair of the heart has landed the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles its French international signing in World Cup hooker Julien Rinaldi.

Rinaldi’s playing skills were courted by the Sea Eagles officials for a Queensland Cup debut this season after the French vice-captain spent a week on the Coast with his national side preparing for the World Cup.

And in the end Cupid came through for them with the 29-year-old European Super League veteran having an Aussie love interest.

“I knew the area here because of my partner (Loren Herring).

“She is Australian from Forster in New South Wales, but she has family who live here at Caloundra....so it feel likes I know the place.”

Rinaldi has signed a one-year deal that could open the door to promotion to the NRL via the Coast’s status as an official Manly feeder club.

That sort of experience also has his heart aflutter, but the 87kg utility player who is just at home at halfback, is also enamoured by the prospect of kick-starting the local Sea Eagles venture.

Born in French league heartland, Rinaldi was part of the Catalans Dragons side to spearhead the French connection with Super League and he is keen to play a similar role on the Coast.

“It is very exciting to be over here – I feel like it is club building like I did with the Catalans Dragons. This is the same thing for me – helping the club grow up.

“I was with the Catalans Dragons for three years and then moved to London for the last two years (to play with the Harlequins) and then I decided to come over here.

“I’m excited to be a part of the Manly family and hopefully have a few games of NRL maybe.”

Early injury marred the French vice-captain’s World Cup campaign,but he will get to show Sea Eagles coaching brains trust in Dennis Moore and Brandon Costin what he can bring to the side in upcoming trials.

The first hit out is against Easts Tigers at Langlands Park in Brisbane on February 14 followed by Norths Devils at Stockland Park on February 21 and the Balmain Tigers on February 28 also on the Coast.

The Sea Eagles are delighted with the experience he brings to the club, but as far as Moore is concerned it will be a case of tough love Queensland Cup selection.

“There’s no guarantees for anyone – everyone’s fighting for a spot,” Moore said.

“The scrapbooks don’t matter, it’s who trains well, performs well, fits in well...they’ll all get their chance and form will dictate.”

Rinaldi has been told that Queensland Cup is a good standard of league but will have to wait and see for himself.

“The hardest thing for me might be going from a professional club to a semi-professional club, so it might be a bit different for me – but talking to Brandon he said the boys are really professional in their attitude.”

interesting! I wonder if he is any good, i didnt pay much attention to the frogs in the world cup

He's a very handy little player. Has played something like 50+ internationals for France, 200+ games in the ESL and is a very capable hooker.

One of the big reasons that France played so poorly in the World Cup was that Rinaldi was injured early in the first game and missed the rest of the tournament.

I don't expect him to knock Ballin from his role, but he's excellent insurance in case we suffer a few injuries in the hooking department.

Still at the club, has a year to go on his contract, don't think he signed a new deal last year (he was talking to the club mid-year).

I can't see any reason why he wouldn't keep his #14 jersey from the start of the year. He offers great spark off the bench, not sure how he would handle a starting role though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4