Robert Lui Banned for season.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
For assaulting his wife.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/blog/robert-lui-banned-for-season/20120411-g1xm.html

still not long enough IMO.

I agree Napper. Should of been a lot longer. Drug cheats having gotten more of a ban than this.

dowdz said:
I agree Napper. Should of been a lot longer. Drug cheats having gotten more of a ban than this.

Snake got a few weeks for having a few beers and an imaginary rape. This clown is guilty. It should be a life ban. **** him!

Isaac Gordon who also pleaded guilty to asaulting his girlfriend is banned til round 10.

The NRL hasn't got the balls to do anything. If they ban someone long-term then they've set a precedent so anyone else including the big names would also have to be banned.

swoop said:
Isaac Gordon who also pleaded guilty to asaulting his girlfriend is banned til round 10.

The NRL hasn't got the balls to do anything. If they ban someone long-term then they've set a precedent so anyone else including the big names would also have to be banned.
Exactly theyre both guilty of the same offence. Ban them both for life.

They should both be sent to Women's Shelters to see the irrevocable damage their behaviour causes.

Counselling the perpetrator is pathetic, its what validates their behaviour to them.
Unless they both change Partners and continue counselling, they will forever rationalize lashing out at their present victims with 'She loves me and will forgive me like she did last time ...'

Very disappointed but not surprised by the NRL stance.

De-register a drunk but coddle a criminal.
It was Lui's second charge after all, where are the 'Carry Over Points' Gallop :mad:

HappilyManly said:
They should both be sent to Women's Shelters to see the irrevocable damage their behaviour causes.

Counselling the perpetrator is pathetic, its what validates their behaviour to them.
Unless they both change Partners and continue counselling, they will forever rationalize lashing out at their present victims with 'She loves me and will forgive me like she did last time ...'

Very disappointed but not surprised by the NRL stance.

De-register a drunk but coddle a criminal.
It was Lui's second charge after all, where are the 'Carry Over Points' Gallop :mad:

Well said, 12 months out of the game for the repeat scumbag offender Lui is a soft penalty.

I find this a complex issue .. the courts supposeably have all the evidence and give Lui a 2 yr good behaviour bond and a $2,000. (to me that seems the biggest injustice of that whole situation). The ARL give him a estimated fine of $100,000 to $1,000,000+ (if he never plays again or reaches potential because of 1 yr ban). He did not directly do anything against the game (performance drugs, bite someone on the field etc), he just did a despicable act in private. Why isnt this a jailable offence? Why is it left to AFL to deliver the tough punishment instead of the courts? Does this preclude him from all rugby league? Since this suspension is only about the fans and their value jugements shouldn't we get to hear about the "rehabilitation" program?

This may have already been said, but Reni Matua gets 2 years for taking cocaine and Robert Lui get's 18 weeks (Could have played the 1st 6 weeks if not injured) for kicking the daylights out of a pregnant woman.

This does not compute!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder where the line is that you blokes start to get upset for punishing someone for something done unrelated to your job.

Reckon you would be happy if you copped a week off work for a speeding fine?

CussCuss said:
I wonder where the line is that you blokes start to get upset for punishing someone for something done unrelated to your job.

Reckon you would be happy if you copped a week off work for a speeding fine?

Hardly comparing apples with apples there CussCuss.

The penalty on Lui is ridiculously soft.

Having said that, if we keep comparing everyone's penalty to Brett's (and I have been doing this as much as everyone else), everything will look soft.

No, its apples and apples. Punishment in the workplace for a disgression in your private life. The disgression was a **** act of the highest order, but the fact remains that its a workplace punishment for something unrelated to work.

So where is the line drawn? Would you get less for a white collar crime? What about speeding? Brett got 4 weeks for having a drink. Should it only apply to football players? Lets introduce it to all your jobs, next time you get smashed and refused service your out of work for a few weeks.

If you have a problem with the punishment that was handed down by the courts it should be fixed within the courts, not in the workplace.

Also, Im aware that there are clauses in the contract etc, Its not a debate on the rules more of a moral debate.

I think most employers would question retaining a staff member once they found out they had bashed their wife etc.

MissKate said:
I think most employers would question retaining a staff member once they found out they had bashed their wife etc.

I wonder where those empolyers stand on spousal abuse with a reversal of genders. Rhetorical. I have a fair idea.

Ralphie said:
This may have already been said, but Reni Matua gets 2 years for taking cocaine and Robert Lui get's 18 weeks (Could have played the 1st 6 weeks if not injured) for kicking the daylights out of a pregnant woman.

This does not compute!!!!!!!!!!

Reni was banned for taking Clenbuterol. It's a banned substance used for quick weight loss.

The shame is not that Lui is banned for a year, or that he's only banned for a year. The shame is that the NRL game doesn't take a more proactive role in raising awareness and combatting domestic violence as part of its everyday work. League being a predominantly male social organisation, existing in a culture where domestic violence is rife, that is the duty of the game.

Do any of you think Lui is the only league player who bashed a woman? Scapegoating the few who get caught is nothing more than grandstanding, designed to appease corporate backers.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6