RLPA awards - Wolfman rookie of Year, Jason King clubman of year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24727913-23210,00.html

Melbourne Storm full-back Billy Slater wins prestigious Golden Boot award
November 29, 2008

AUSTRALIA full-back Billy Slater has capped a remarkable season and further erased memories of his World Cup final howler by taking out the prestigious Golden Boot award.
The Melbourne star continued his impressive haul of individual honours on Saturday night when he won the prize awarded annually to the player adjudged best in the world.

The award was presented at the Rugby League Players' Association ceremony in Sydney, where Slater also took out the RLPA's representative player of the year award.

It capped a remarkable haul of trophies for Slater this season after he collected the Rugby League International Federation's player of the year and World Cup player of the tournament earlier this month.

The honour would help ease the heartache from Slater's wild pass that gifted New Zealand five-eighth Benji Marshall a pivotal try in the Kiwis' shock World Cup final win over the Kangaroos last weekend.

Meanwhile, Sydney Roosters skipper Braith Anasta was joint winner of the RLPA Players' Player of the year award, just a year after being voted the game's most overrated player.

Anasta shared the peer-voted honour with Penrith captain Petero Civoniceva, a standout in another disappointing season for the Panthers.

Parramatta's Nathan Cayless won the RLPA's New Zealand Representative Player of the Year while Manly and Australian flyer David Williams took out the Rookie of the Year.

Slater showed remarkable form throughout the season, scoring 14 tries as the Storm dominated the regular season, before eventually going down to Manly in the Grand Final.

He lost out to Matt Orford by the narrowest of margins for the NRL's Dally M Medal in September and shone for both Queensland and Australia.

Slater emerged from a group of eight nominees, including Greg Inglis, Johnathan Thurston, New Zealand's Benji Marshall and England's Tony Peacock to take out the award which is run by Rugby League World magazine and considered the highest individual honour in the game.

A panel of 12 rugby league writers and former international stars, including Wally Lewis, Garry Schofield, Peter Sterling and Hugh McGahan cast votes for the award.

In other awards at the RLPA ceremony, Manly's Jason King was named the Dennis Tutty Clubman of the Year, Canberra's Alan Tongue the Education and Welfare Player of the Year and Shaun Fensom the NYC Player of the Year.

What a surprise that the Grub won the major award. Well done on Wolfman getting the award he should have received at the Dally Ms.

Had we not won the premiership, you can guarantee that the 12 'experts' would've gone for stupid Sandow instead of Williams for Rookie of the year.

I;d like to compare Slater's stats to Stewarts...oh you know what?  Stewart scored more tries, and Manly won the premiership, so as we all know all these awards are a popularity contest not even votes for by citizens.  

slater the best in the world??pffft!!he was the worst player at the WC final,he did nothing in the GF.he also has a dirty side to his game,eg,sliding in with his feet.what a joke.
brent kite should have won that award.
these judges of these awards are seeing something the the fans dont.the same goes with the aust selectors as well as ricky stuart.
thurston shouldnt have been there.lockyer is running on old legs.the aussies were there for the taking.
jason king probably deserves his clubman award.
wolfman has been a revelation.

'Clubman of the year'?  What's that for?  Shouldn't it be named, 'Clubsman of the year'?  And how many weeks in the season was King out for?  Kite was much better than him.  These awards are a complete joke.  The judges should remember which team won the comp, and by how many.  And who was the idiot who lost the 'World's cup' with a really dumb play, elbows to the head in every tackle (look for it) and  studs first into players scoring.  This is the problem with this game.  You have complete dickheads running it and being involved in these sort of events.  A Centenary of league, run by jugheads. 

byso link said:
Why would King get Clubman of the year?
  You know I have been exceedingly critical of King over the years.  But there were a few moments shown by King this year that epitomized the spirit of the side.  Mainly I'm thinking of how he reacted in the sheds when injured against the eels.  But just in general, he lost his starting spot through hard luck with injury but did not spit it.  He worked damned hard to be a part of the finals.  And I was worried about his lack of match fitness but he'd obviously done the work off the field to maintain good condition.  He showed the team is 17 players all working for each other.

Canteen Worker link said:
What a surprise that the Grub won the major award. Well done on Wolfman getting the award he should have received at the Dally Ms.

I thought Williams did win Rookie of the year?

But I didnt pay that much attention TBH.

Fro link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=178948.msg203693#msg203693 date=1227967383]

I thought Williams did win Rookie of the year?

But I didnt pay that much attention TBH.
[/quote]

Nope...

Matabele link said:
[quote author=byso link=topic=178948.msg203703#msg203703 date=1228001806]
Why would King get Clubman of the year?
  You know I have been exceedingly critical of King over the years.  But there were a few moments shown by King this year that epitomized the spirit of the side.  Mainly I'm thinking of how he reacted in the sheds when injured against the eels.  But just in general, he lost his starting spot through hard luck with injury but did not spit it.  He worked damned hard to be a part of the finals.  And I was worried about his lack of match fitness but he'd obviously done the work off the field to maintain good condition.  He showed the team is 17 players all working for each other.
[/quote]OMFG
i think i have my new sig right here

btw i couldnt agree with my african more on this one

What makes a clubman?  Are there criteria involved?  What about Beaver?  Wasn't he an excellent clubman?  'King defeats Beaver for clubman of the year', a complete joke.  I guess Beaver didn't punch any lockers, maybe he should have.   

DSM5 link said:
What makes a clubman?  Are there criteria involved?  What about Beaver?  Wasn't he an excellent clubman?  'King defeats Beaver for clubman of the year', a complete joke.  I guess Beaver didn't punch any lockers, maybe he should have.    
I'd guess a factor in King getting the nod is (if memory is accurate) he's the player rep with the RLPA.  If so, seems fair enough he gets some recognition for volunteer work helping other players.  Especially seeing it's the RLPA awards ...

My old man was telling me that when wolfman was up saying his thank-you speech at these awards, he said, "I'd like to thank my partner Jason King" much to Kings surprise and the rest of the rooms amusement....pretty funny stuff!

Does that mean the media can stop referring to Ian Roberts as the *only* Rugby LEague player to have outed himself?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6