RIP Arthur Beetson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah, I just heard the same thing on the radio. RIP Artie. Sympathies to your family.

Very sad.

My first rugby league hero.

I remember Manly playing Parra at Brookie in 1979 or 1980 and Arthur Beetson and Terry Randall played reserve grade, both coming back from injury. It was the most people I have seen watch a regular season reserve grade match. Everybody held their breath when either made a tackle or a hit up.

What a great man Arthur was.

oh man. That's terrible news. Before my time so never really saw him play but his legend speaks for him. RIP Artie.

This legend set the tone for all great ball playing fowards. Had the ability to play before - through & after the line. If he was playing today would be 1 of the elite in the game & most importantly has been a great ambassedor of the game - maybe could be considered when people talk about future immortals of rugby league.

MK Eagle said:
This legend set the tone for all great ball playing fowards. Had the ability to play before - through & after the line. If he was playing today would be 1 of the elite in the game & most importantly has been a great ambassedor of the game - maybe could be considered when people talk about future immortals of rugby league.

He already is an immortal mate

bones said:
MK Eagle said:

Damn - maybe he deserves 2 spots Bones, or maybe I need an uppercut or 10.

MK Eagle said:
bones said:
MK Eagle said:

Damn - maybe he deserves 2 spots Bones, or maybe I need an uppercut or 10.

He was added in 2004.

Artie will be sadly missed - Great player, great character and by all reports a top bloke too - he can be credited with starting SOO and the many fierces clashes that have followed.

For a Queenslander he wasn't a bad bloke. He can claim credit for giving Origin some credibility when he clocked his then teammate Mick Cronin in the very first game. One of the true characters of the game and one of the best ever ball playing forwards. RIP.

He was impossible to get to the ground, if he didnt slip a pass, they could never get him to the ground.

I doubt even the Storm would be able to bring him to his knees let alone roll him on his back.

A man of honour and integrity, the likes of which is very rare.

Heard a funny anecdote about Artie, but i can't remember who was telling the story now. Anyway it was after he retired and was playing a game of bush footy somewhere in Queensland, about 30kg overweight and no match fitness. He carves up the opposition in the first half, attracting defenders like flies and slipping balls away like it's going out of fashion......they just can't get him to ground. Half time comes and the oppositon are wondering how they are going to stop him. Their coach comes up with a master plan, we'll let him run !! Kick off second half, ball goes to Artie, they all hang off him and cover his support players, so Artie has to go the whole 90+ meters to score. That's all she wrote for the big fella.....wasn't seen again for the rest of the game. LOL.....not sure how much truth is in the story, but a good one none the less.

RIP Artie, was only a week ago I was @ Paradise Point and we saw the big man on his bike riding around and even then he had enough time to give a wave and say hello.

Artie Beetson was a real loveable larriken whose passion for the game and especially for Queensland stands out for me. He really showed what Origin was all about when he smashed his best mate Mick Cronin in the first game in 1980..a true legend now at peace.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6