Revealed: the NRL's backline defensive heroes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
DCE the defensive man lol. Have a read guys.

A couple of weeks ago we called foul on the NRL’s missed-tackle merchants. Perhaps we even embarrassed a few of the game’s stars into working a little harder on their defence. But now, in the interest of fairness, it’s time to give credit where credit is due. Just who are the best defenders in the NRL? And how do we fairly quantify this?

http://www.nrl.com/revealed-the-nrls-backline-defensive-heroes/tabid/10874/newsid/68178/default.aspx

Good on him, tough life on the fringes having Boppas run at you all day.

Interesting read and some amazing facts.

Wolfman - needs to lift his game for his defensive lapses.
Skivvy - does some great hits & is probably known more for his runs from dummy-half or the big hits he puts on but his general play defence stats aren't great!

I think we already knew that Snake, Fozzy & DCE would be up around the top.
Will be interesting to see how Matty Ballin & Jamie Buhrer (our two tackling-machines) show up.

Stats don't always tell the whole story. Particularly for cerain positions such as wing and centre. Sometimes outside backs aren't called on to make too many tackles, but when they are they might already be in an impossible position.

Is the statistics only for the 2012 Season?

Matai's effectiveness should then be doubled, as the man only plays with one shoulder:exclamation:

The algorithm is flawed IMO. It dilutes the percentage for those that constantly harrass, but not succeed, in effecting the tackle.

The bleeding obvious is, that by attempting to tackle, the Player on the his inside/outside will have their percentage increased.:dodgy:

The bias will also show up for the forwards who do not play the 80 minutes. Their freshness will logically lead to a higher effective rate :dodgy:

So long as Manly play as a Team, I don't care how the Statistician's judge us :angel:

judging by the way it is scored matai's shoulder chargers that dont finish with the player tackled by matai are ineffective

Soward near top of list. Yeah well I guess when you only make 6 tackles all year its easy to pull 4 of them off.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Agreed SER8, especially when the stats are plain and simple wrong.

"He’s about five-foot-nothing but Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans is a giant in the defensive game. At 88.1% effective he has every right to be chuffed with his efforts and he really does deserve the big money he is reported to have commanded in his contract upgrade. "

five-foot-nothing? lol. he's 180cm which is less than an inch shy of 6 foot.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8