Return to 1 ref

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Well when the game finally returns.....has been a few talks about the old 1 ref to come back, which personally I prefer.
Maybe miss a few, but they do anyway and the consistency with 1 ref is far better, as refs are all different with interpretation regarding time holding down in a tackle...even the 10m varies...how quick some refs allow defenders to shoot up ect...with 1 ref for right or wrong, we at least get more consistency and the game flow is better.

I agree with everything you said @maxta .

Too many chefs spoil the broth
and too many refs spoil the match
ebd2c4d1cb3aee5704d259d5baad8d7c.jpg

1 Ref and go back to calling the other two touch judges, they see an infringement stick the flag up and run onto the field like they use to.

Keeping the bunker doesn't bother me but just have the 1 person per game doing it.
Give them a maximum 1 minute to review it without slowing it down to frame by frame.

One ref
No bunker
Captains challenge

that way the game flows and no team gets screwed in the last 5 minutes.

NYEagle

I like it but how can we have a captains challenge if there is no bunker?
Just do the replays and who decides? The ref? Commentators?

I really like the captains challenge but the bunker has made a mockery of it already. They decide WHICH replay angles are broadcast and there is far too much room for smokescreens. It can be easily manipulated. The bunker has denied every captains challenge that has not been 100% clear cut.(and 1 or 2 I thought were).
If the captains challenge can't be presided over by non-NRL personnel then it is a waste of a great initiative...sorta like the current "NRL" being involved in ANY aspect of RL really.

Unless we have a truly unbiased entity running the game it will NEVER be fairly administrated.

The game MUST be run by the game and this is the greatest opportunity to do exactly that.

Is there a true RL fan out there with enough money to back it?

Last edited:
Way back when - I liked the idea of two referees. I thought the game had become quite fast and teams were exploiting the disadvantage of only having one ref.

After all I'd been watching NHL for awhile and they have two main officials and two other jerks on a rink 200 feet long. They also had a bunker. So if it worked for a small area like hockey, the nrl could benefit from a second ref, right? (many claim in the nhl the refs suck too - like me on occasion..lol)

Somewhere along the line we had one ref AND the touch judges seemed like they were told to keep out of it, so I was happy getting another ref.

Where it fell down for me, was the unprofessional implementation on how it would work. Touch judges became even less utilised and the standard just seemed shocking.

The whole....DNA of the refs is "what can I ping 'em for, what can I ping 'em for now" is just like a damn police state.

Unless you're the ref whisperer Smith. How frustrating is it to see year after year rules brought in and not followed?

eg: You can only talk to ref's at certain times. Smith talks to refs at other times and the refs compliantly stand there and listen.

Plus the bias is still there. The police state dna of refs and "finals plotting" is the only reason I can think of why Jake was sin binned in our final against souffs. Plus the ref not calling a forward pass when she was directly in line and it was heaved forward. I think one poster here said she tweeted her about it and was instantly banned. Diff gender, same d/h attitude.

When I watch the ESL, it's a different DNA. If a player isn't quite square playing the ball the ref thinks "well does it give an unfair advantage to them..nah, play on" and the game flows.
Trouble is, in the nrl people would complain that not playing the ball square always gives them an unfair advantage as they have broken 'a rule'. The esl just don't seem to think like that, AND more importantly the players in the esl seem to complain less. Ruling is made, game carries on. None of this everyone runs up to the ref waving their arms in the air (like they just do care..lol)

They just get on with it. Refs and players. In the nrl, thanks to the storm the slowing the ruck down, doing every little thing called "gamesmanship" makes me worried about all that being unleashed on one ref.

So I thought two refs would be good, but the game devoured itself on that.

crap - too long a post. I'm hungry.

Yep agree with 1 ref, but I guess the bunker can stay because the angles are all being filmed anyway for tv.

I wouldn’t want to go back to dud on-field decisions that are glaringly obvious on instant replay.

I like it but how can we have a captains challenge if there is no bunker?
Just do the replays and who decides? The ref? Commentators?

I really like the captains challenge but the bunker has made a mockery of it already. They decide WHICH replay angles are broadcast and there is far too much room for smokescreens. It can be easily manipulated. The bunker has denied every captains challenge that has not been 100% clear cut.(and 1 or 2 I thought were).
If the captains challenge can't be presided over by non-NRL personnel then it is a waste of a great initiative...sorta like the current "NRL" being involved in ANY aspect of RL really.

Unless we have a truly unbiased entity running the game it will NEVER be fairly administrated.

The game MUST be run by the game and this is the greatest opportunity to do exactly that.

Is there a true RL fan out there with enough money to back it?
Thanks 40YAE

I realised after I wrote it that we do need a bunker for captains challenge, but I think the bunker has to work in a heavily reduced capacity. Maybe give each team two challenges over the last 10 minutes only and only have reviews with those.
To be honest who cares what happens the first 70 minutes. The way the game ebbs and flows these days if a team gets ahead that other one scores in turn. Let';s just keep it flowing and fun. If a team is clearly better they always lead clearly at the 70 minute point. It's just that last 10 minutes where scrutiny should be allowed so let's get it right then.

If it wasn;t for those restrictive and anal TV networks there would be a real chance to showcase rugby league to the world this year with a few innovative arena suiting ideas, but because the network hold the very oxygen the NRL survives on nothing can happen.

NYEagle

Not enough decent refs around to have two refs.....come to think of it there's not enough decent refs around to have one ref.....and another thing, I wish they'd stop changing the rules and bringing in new ones, just one year where the rules are the same as the year before would be great. It would help alleviate some of those WTF was that penalty for moments.

Or Lydia Lassila...

Yeah nah... I like the new rule. No more of this corner post bent waaaay over into the field of play and the refs having to deal that it 'hit the post'. Amateur hour of the highest order. So +1 for me. :)

I have said it before but I can't help myself .... the first step in the complete rooting of the game's integrity ... was the day the old independent Referee's Association was disbanded and the ref's became direct employees of the NRL ... answerable, it appears to the marketing department.

How can referees properly administer the game and it's rules when their "boss" Toddy has the daily power to hire and fire them ... and weekly tells them what rules to apply, which to ignore, and what new logic defying "interpretations " to adopt ...

Bring back an Independent body, funded by the NRL, but run by a seperate administration ....

One ref and **** off replays and the bunker.

The ref and the touchies take charge and yes they will **** up, and WE the fans have to accept that they will.

You’ll win some and you’ll lose some.

The big problem with getting rid of the bunker is that the first time something happens, like a referee awarding a try in a situation we saw in Rd.2 when Tommy stopped Keary from scoring, the cries of bring back the bunker would be long and loud on social media and in the media.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The big problem with getting rid of the bunker is that the first time something happens, like a referee awarding a try in a situation we saw in Rd.2 when Tommy stopped Keary from scoring, the cries of bring back the bunker would be long and loud on social media and in the media.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yes agree with that BUT it’s “ can there afford it” that’s the real question with the bunker costing circa 2-3 million per annum.

Think they’ll have a video ref on ground and that’s all.

Yes agree with that BUT it’s “ can there afford it” that’s the real question with the bunker costing circa 2-3 million per annum.

I really can't figure out how the bunker costs that much to run.

That right there is a big pointer to the overblown spending by the NRL under Greenturd's watch.

I read the other day that there were plans for the nrl, afl, ru, soccer to discuss combining their separate bunkers. Each code uses the same technology, so it is ridiculous having 4 sets of excessively expensive equipment that only gets used part time. They would all use the same bunker, just swap out to a different set of refs for the relevant code. Can’t believe it has taken a global virus for each code to do something they should have looked at from day 1

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4