• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Shane Haynes is still a total knob and still hates Manly. As for calls going our way, if the refs want to save our favourable calls until the finals then so be it. We have had soooo many dud calls this season, we deserve a few now

Kiwi Eagle said:
That video ref try was a howler

The initial call from the on field ref is having too much bearing. There needs to be a 50/50 option in there somehow for when they generally don't have a clue and are guessing what happened then the video ref gets locked into working with that call

You win some you lose some. Tafua's last night was probably the swing to Matai's roundabout a few weeks back. I like the current system, it takes out that horrible benefit of the doubt call.

My issue is next week we will see a totally different interpretation and application of the rules by the refs as we did last week.

Why does it change?

Kiwi Eagle said:

The initial call from the on field ref is having too much bearing. There needs to be a 50/50 option in there somehow for when they generally don't have a clue and are guessing what happened then the video ref gets locked into working with that call

If you went a 50/50 option then you need benefit of the doubt back. BOD lead to some disgraceful decisions. I think the on field ref making a decision is good, in normal speed that was a try any day of the week.

I thought Hayne' s referring of the Cronulla ruck was poor. To many times they were'nt square and there was a lot of off-side play by them. Their tacklers often interfered with our player and twice pushed them over with no penalty. The shoulder charge should have brought a penalty. I think posters on here think that Hayne was OK because usually he's very bad. Last night he wasn't as bad a s people think. Ergo, he went OK.

Hayne will get the GF on the back of experience. Only him and cummins have refereed a grand final. (Checchin won't get another match this year and he's the only other gf ref)

Tony Archer retiring has left a massive hole.

DSM5 said:
I thought Hayne' s referring of the Cronulla ruck was poor. To many times they were'nt square .....

Agree. How frustrating was that. The refs didn't seem keen to penalise the defence last night at all. Offside, holding down, markers not square..... all night ref !!!

Don't worry about the pink bandits last night, figure they don't much care for the peptide sharks.

But next week will be a different story against the Bunnies. This may go down as the most painful game to watch as a Manly tragic.....

The facts are;

We will be fatigued
We will be injured
We will be penalised

They will be fresh
They will be fit
They will be protected

Somebody please help me, I'm struggling here?

Watched it again this afternoon and the second half was a pleasure to watch, there was half a dozen chances to blow nit picking penalties which they have been blowing all year and they didn't.

The game was much better as a result.

In a way the refs did decide the outcome of Friday's game, but instead of a team benefiting from a howler (or being screwed by one), they actually got it right.

Hayne was all set to call a try for Gallen and it wouldn't have gone upstairs. Had Klien not told Hayne what he saw and had it sent upstairs, that try and Gordon's likely conversion would have locked the score at 24-24 and the outcome could well have been different.

It was actually a win for the 2 refs system because while one ref missed it (Hayne), the other ref saw and called it. That is one of the reasons why we now have 2 men in pink out there instead of one. Its not often they get it right like they did on Friday night, but its good to see the system can work.

mosto said:
A lot of mates I watch footy with have commented that they think I'm pretty objective re ref calls and I thought that was a try.
I used to have some of them (mates,that is), but as the years go on, my unashamedly one eyed views on all things Manly got to much for them...they refuse to watch any Manly games with me...except No 1 daughter...and even she asked me last week whether I was watching with my eyes open!!At this time of year objective thinking goes out the door as far as I'm concerned!:p

I think it's about time we got rid of the ability of the captain to question the refs decision. Gallen being in Hayne's face for this decision was an ordinary look. Hayne had a smirk on his face and it was almost like they were sharing a joke.
I mentioned in another thread, that during the union a few weeks back, there was no back chat or questioning a refs decision. They just get on with the game.
The players all know the rules. 95% of the time they know exactly what the penalty or decison was for. They only question the refs decision to try and put pressure on for decisions to go their way later in the game, or to slow the play down. Ennis is the best/worst at this. It is purely done for tactical reasons, not because they don't understand the decision.

Clint said:
I think it's about time we got rid of the ability of the captain to question the refs decision. Gallen being in Hayne's face for this decision was an ordinary look. Hayne had a smirk on his face and it was almost like they were sharing a joke.
I mentioned in another thread, that during the union a few weeks back, there was no back chat or questioning a refs decision. They just get on with the game.
The players all know the rules. 95% of the time they know exactly what the penalty or decison was for. They only question the refs decision to try and put pressure on for decisions to go their way later in the game, or to slow the play down. Ennis is the best/worst at this. It is purely done for tactical reasons, not because they don't understand the decision.

Union also adhere to a quick tap mentality so you can question the call if you like but more than likely the opposition will tap the ball and you'll leave your team one man short!

That said, I agree with you. Especially when the ref's have gone upstairs, there should be no players allowed to approach the ref whilst the vid ref is stuffing up making a decision.

Chip and Chase said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

You win some you lose some. Tafua's last night was probably the swing to Matai's roundabout a few weeks back. I like the current system, it takes out that horrible benefit of the doubt call.

In my opinion when a video ref can't find "conclusive evidence" to overturn an initial ruling by a ref on the field then that is benefit of the doubt.

At best that is exactly what happened with the Taufua try.

Mark from Brisbane said:
All about making sure there's a " square up"

exactly right Mark. And that's my point. The questioning of a refs decision is nearly always tactically motivated.

I thought the refs had very good games. There were plenty of times they could have blown nit-picking penalties for holding down but didn't. Common sense has finally arrived at finals time.

yes the refs must have received a memo telling them 'blow less penalties this weekend' unfortunately this will not help too much in the souffs game as it is getting all the 50/50 calls go your way that helps them enormously along with the times they should be penalised and get away with it. don't see this changing on Fri night

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6