Refs' managing games:

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
by the way I haven't posted for years here and I won't be continuing - thats it for me - why has the headline I wrote been amended? For PC reasons? Everything is WAY over managed, WAY over thought and it's ridiculous. All in the name of something or other. All in the name of OVER MANAGEMENT of every little damn thing. FUN? Na. Kill that STONE DEAD.

NRL is the worst and most blatant sport at managing games. Too many subjective rule interpretations that allow refs to control a games tempo. Just put the damn whistle away, keep the bunker clowns out of up field decisions.
You may remember some years ago Ivan Cleary hinted at exactly that. There were referees that changed the momentum in a game. Just before half time and after a glut of possession by one team. He was given a warning as he was insinuating bias refereeing
.......really.
Officials should look at Parra and south's and the legups they get in a game. That's called managing a game.

for example a referee might be told at half time that the 6 agains are 8-1 in favour of one side ,
That happens
I use to sit with an ex first grade referee when he was employed by the NRL coaching referees we would talk during the game and at 1/2 time he would head to the referees shed to talk them through the first 1/2 and what they need to change , So whether they purposely change the game is up to them but that's not saying they do but they can

That happens
I use to sit with an ex first grade referee when he was employed by the NRL coaching referees we would talk during the game and at 1/2 time he would head to the referees shed to talk them through the first 1/2 and what they need to change , So whether they purposely change the game is up to them but that's not saying they do but they can
Well , the one other thing I noted it always squared up , always.

But that was just numbers , the more important issue is then when & where.

by the way I haven't posted for years here and I won't be continuing - thats it for me - why has the headline I wrote been amended? For PC reasons? Everything is WAY over managed, WAY over thought and it's ridiculous. All in the name of something or other. All in the name of OVER MANAGEMENT of every little damn thing. FUN? Na. Kill that STONE DEAD.
I’m not sure of your original title - but I do know the premis I agree with now and when I originally saw it

Maybe post what your original title was and we can all enjoy it

That happens
Wouldn't it be nice if the referees were not told what the penalty count / six agains are, I believe them knowing this changes how they intemperate infringements during the game.

Also, instead of the bunker doing the review, have a TV set up on the sideline and the referee can review his decision, (ask for different camera angles to help). Also put a time limit for him to make the ruling, for all of our sanity.

(They have this set up in the NFL)

Wouldn't it be nice if the referees were not told what the penalty count / six agains are, I believe them knowing this changes how they intemperate infringements during the game.

Also, instead of the bunker doing the review, have a TV set up on the sideline and the referee can review his decision, (ask for different camera angles to help). Also put a time limit for him to make the ruling, for all of our sanity.

(They have this set up in the NFL)
I agree with not being told it could stop the thoughts of evening up
But referees taking time to look at TVs too much time wasted
I prefer just going with the ref decision , or one look by the bunker at full speed if needed then get on with it

I also often think the game is being managed and logical response is to stop watching (or consuming since NRL is in the entertainment business). But for some reason, I can’t!

I cannot think of another logical reason for 6-agains… a penalty can be challenged as it is a stop in play but the 6-agains are totally at the refs discretion and cannot be challenged… they can be, and are imo, used to ensure that a “contest” is presented for the audience…
Same as offside penalties can't be challenged, it's not discretionary so why not?
How many times is there some out of the blue penalty for offside when it looks like the other team has been jumping the gun all game?

The bunker can rule on whether players are offside from kicks, or a little knock on bobble etc. yet something like Garrick last week getting pinged for offside can't be challenged.

Last edited:
Same as offside penalties can't be challenged, it's not discretionary so why not?
How many times is there some out of the blue penalty for offside when it looks like the other team has been jumping the gun all game?

The bunker can rule on whether players are offside from kicks, or a little knock on bobble etc.
Yeah, totally agree… the 6-agains tho are typically for ruck infringements that CAN be challenged and (conveniently) were introduced for the 2021 season after the captains challenge was added in 2020…
Players were straight onto it and started forcing a stop in play when they knew they had been hard done-by so that they could then challenge… the NRL responded by making that a penalty…
I am convinced that 6-agains are a means of letting the ref “manage” the flow of the game to ensure a contest is maintained for the longest possible period…
For the record, I do not think that refs or the NRL are staging games or rigging results… I just think they are protecting their product and ensuring both sides get plenty of opportunity to score points (remember, it’s all about the spectacular tries)

1712007690364.png

Parra have been "managed" into favourable positions in games, especially at Commbank, for years, and especially since the stadium rebuild...imo of course.

If you want to win there, you need to beat 18 men, and a couple of touchies into the bargain.
Remember the Garrick try on the bell a few years back but the pass from turbo called forward.

There is no doubt in my mind that the NRL prefers certain teams at the top of the table ( Penrith and Parra to keep AFL at bay in the west, Souths, Roosters, Brisbane and Melbourne due to membership numbers and tv rights. Teams like Manly and Tigers need to become a feel good story like we did when Turbo had his breakout year, or maybe this year if Benji can keep his young team performing.
After being stitched up at CommBank again, I’ve decided not to watch the games live as it’s too stressful. When I saw the Dragons result was disappointed but not too upset, especially with our poor record in Wollongong.

There is no doubt in my mind that the NRL prefers certain teams at the top of the table ( Penrith and Parra to keep AFL at bay in the west, Souths, Roosters, Brisbane and Melbourne due to membership numbers and tv rights. Teams like Manly and Tigers need to become a feel good story like we did when Turbo had his breakout year, or maybe this year if Benji can keep his young team performing.
After being stitched up at CommBank again, I’ve decided not to watch the games live as it’s too stressful. When I saw the Dragons result was disappointed but not too upset, especially with our poor record in Wollongong.
Good point re the stress of watching games being "managed". It drives me crazy. Let's go with the inside the 10 crap. The refs can be so selective about when they decide to ping the defending team. And it's a huge call and an immediate leg up down into the defending team's red zone.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8