Referees 'Evening' Games Up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There has been talk over the last few years of how if a team is way on top and running away with it the referees often step in and 'even' things up.

Well, get a load of this, they have gone one step further in New York, American Football at junior level.

A coach gets a one week suspension because his team won by more than the 'sportsmanship' rule allowed (42 points).

The world is now truly mental.

Toovey said it best... even up penalties at the end! That souths game matai smashed burgass and they disallowed a great try. (It was 100% A try i I paused it with the ball on the ground before the bodies got in the way. Clear evidence!)

This rule is used in junior sports here.
I know that junior baseball calls the game when one side cannot possibly win. I think it is so that the beaten team does not get the sh*ts and fails to turn up next week.

If you are going to have a mercy rule, shouldn't the game just stop once the score hits it? If you keep playing it's not like the **** team is going to turn around the hiding....

Last year I watched a complete weekend of games , yes all 8 , and I sat there and noted the penalties, the time of the penalties and where on the ground they were given, I could have gone one step more and listed “ bull**** penalties “ but didn’t.

From that it’s clear to me that one side usually gets the run of penalties in the first half, and through this you’ll see that side often leading 18-0, or 24-6.

Some penalties were when a team was attacking the line and usually back to back, these are usually legitimate penalties as the defensive team is trying everything to stop them scoring.

But many were “ bull****” penalties I believe designed to give one team an advantage, and especially on the last tackle giving them extraordinary field position.

It’s not always the case that the team leads after these, the weekend I did this 6 out of 8 sides were well ahead at half time.

Then ( and always ) there’s the “ evening up” and these are often given to the side behind and in positions that aren’t quite as beneficial.

Do I believe there’s corruption, no I don’t.

Do I believe there’s a pre determined officiating of certain teams / players , yes I do.

And we all know how the broadcasters love their “ golden point” so next time there’s a close game you watch and see how they manipulate the game with penalties to achieve these more “ exciting” outcomes.

BUT it’s all about entertainment for the NRL, it’s a product not so much a game.

We are closer to WWE wrestling than ever before , Yep it’s “ all about entertainment “.

NRL is like one day cricket. One teams gets all the penalties and racks up points. The penalties will then all go the other way. If the first team didn't get enough points when they all the possession, they will get run down and lose.

As with Penrith at Brookie in 2018, you only need 12 minutes of every call going your way to run it down and win.

Even the Rorters grand final win in 2013 is an example of this.

What it means is that any good footy team that grinds out a hard fought lead but small lead over 65 minutes will not be rewarded when the momentum is miraculously shifted the other way. The better team will lose.

Are we trying to imply here that the refs influence games - surely not, they couldn’t do that - really - how would they explain that one away. Oh that’s right, they don’t have to answer to anyone so they can do just what they like

I have written this before.

I was trained as a Junior ref by leading referees of the day, such as Col Pearce, and ongoing by the Manly Warringah Junior Referees Assoc. One of the points always being stressed was that the Referee has to resist the urge to "even up the game".

We were told that it was a natural instinct to "feel for" the underdog; we had to be conscious of that fact and control the game on its merits. Unfortunately I only did 2 seasons before being relocated in my job - I did not gain enough experience and fell into the trap a few times when I got too involved in the game.

I learned my lesson when an U16s mother from Narraweena hooked my ankle when I came from the field, and I sprawled into the mud at Beverley Job park following a semi final game which was won by Belrose, I think, 8 - 6.

This rule is used in junior sports here.
I know that junior baseball calls the game when one side cannot possibly win. I think it is so that the beaten team does not get the sh*ts and fails to turn up next week.
That's for pathetic souls to be fair

I didn't win a cricket game until seniors

Just ref the rules.
My pet hate is when an attacking team do a shepherd (now called an obstruction) the player with the ball surrenders to a tackle.
My take is that it should either be ruled a Shepherd (obstruction) or a Voluntary Tackle!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6