Ref THAT ruck

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
As Tooves pointed out, the amount of time wrestling players on the ground Friday night needs to be looked at.
The discretion here is so inconsistent.
No excuses with the result as Souths showed more intensity & deserved to win & when they were getting away with it, maybe Manly could have slowed that ruck area down a little better.
The game is won & lost in the ruck area.
It all starts & finishes here & those who can control the speed in this area are 95% om the way to a win.
If the latitude is allowed in coming weeks, it could pave the way for very dour finals decided by who gets away with the wrestle rather than who plays the better quality footy.
Yes the game has changed & yes its fair game to slow down the play the ball, just think it needs to looked at & more consistently policed.
If its a massive hit & the defender wins the contact , let him control extra time as reward.
If its just a tackle that looks like dancing with the stars, get the tackler off & let the game flow...simple really.

Well the control, or lack thereof, for sides does have a major influence on momentum in a game for sure.

(I wouldn't quite go so far to a game is totally won or lost there though).

But momentum yes; it dictates massively on possession and thus possible points scored.

What frustrates the bejeesus outta me when we do try to play that way (wrestle or hold as we get held) or do attempt to take our extra seconds, especially in dominant tackles, the other teams step to the side of the mark, or take steps forward illegally to get as fast a ruck as possible.

I'm all for free-flowing footy (not outright touch-footy) and in the odd game now we're getting the refs even blowing the whistling, halting play and making the bloke go BACK and play-the-ball on the mark!

It should be a clear penalty to the defending side there.

Mostly though it's teams like Souths and the Rorters who run rough-shod over the ruck and the officials let all the breaches and BS go.

Maybe we'll have to just join 'em, mate, step over or to the side (of the ruck) and tunnel-ball it back as fast as we can, too.

The other annoying aspect of the ruck is the control ref often overrules the ruck ref. You often hear the ruck ref calling out "milking, milking" yet the control ref blows a penalty despite the fact he's further away. I find that lack of consistency the most frustrating thing.

Av8r said:
The other annoying aspect of the ruck is the control ref often overrules the ruck ref. You often hear the ruck ref calling out "milking, milking" yet the control ref blows a penalty despite the fact he's further away. I find that lack of consistency the most frustrating thing.

This is so true, too.

It must be confusing for the players, if not downright frustrating.

Go back to just the one on-field ref PLZ!

G'dat all,It's been a pet hate of mine for a long time the policing of the play the ball and the selective interpretation and application of the rules.The game has two aspects attack and defence but they are far more stringent on the defence in the ruck area than the attack.The play the ball is no longer a contest as it once use to be,and anything other than rising to your feet placing the ball on the ground and rolling back with you foot should be deemed an incorrect play the ball the same as not facing goaline to goaline.If rigidly applied it wouldn't take coaches long to be making sure this basic rule was followed although i won't be holding my breath as the only principle that seems to apply now is how to keep speeding the game up.
cheers mike

It would be so so stupidly easy for the game to rub wrestling out. They could do it this weekend if they wanted to. The NRL need to contact the clubs and tell them there will be crackdown on slow play-the-balls, and penalise the crap out of the offending teams, and keep doing it until they get the message. Eventually, they will get the message and start coaching football instead of WWE.

No club is going to keep doing something that keeps drawing penalties. At the start of the season the NRL said it was outlawing the cannonball. The first couple of weeks we saw the odd penalty, and now I can't remember the last time I saw one for that offence. Coaches and players will tweak whatever they are forced to tweak by the NRL. It's time for the governing body to stamp out wrestling and bring the football back to the fans. It was painfully bland to watch the manner in which Souths went about their business last Friday night.

Snake said:
It would be so so stupidly easy for the game to rub wrestling out. They could do it this weekend if they wanted to. The NRL need to contact the clubs and tell them there will be crackdown on slow play-the-balls, and penalise the crap out of the offending teams, and keep doing it until they get the message. Eventually, they will get the message and start coaching football instead of WWE.

No club is going to keep doing something that keeps drawing penalties. At the start of the season the NRL said it was outlawing the cannonball. The first couple of weeks we saw the odd penalty, and now I can't remember the last time I saw one for that offence. Coaches and players will tweak whatever they are forced to tweak by the NRL. It's time for the governing body to stamp out wrestling and bring the football back to the fans. It was painfully bland to watch the manner in which Souths went about their business last Friday night.

G'day all, Precisely my point Snake with an enforcement of a universal interpretation of what constitutes a proper play the ball,as this would naturally take that split second longer which would allow defences to get set.Mind you it has come this far so I don't think we will be seeing the end of the wrestle any time soon unfortunately.You only have to look at the pressure Bellamy is now applying over Klein and his policing of their rubbish and I'd wager good money who the winner will be.
cheers mike

While they are at it can they get Inglis and Slater playing the ball on the mark for once in their lives.

As the finals arrive the refs will keep their whistles in their pockets more and more because they don't want to attract criticism for "influencing' a game with high penalty counts. Look at how much leeway Souths were given with the 10m when we were coming out of our own end on Friday, refs are scared to be seen to be giving teams leg up penalties off their own line in big games.

It's unlikely we will see a big change in ruck interpretation this late in the season, the NRL darlings at Redfern and Melbourne would be up in arms if that was the case. We didn't respect the ball enough on Friday, nor did we bend the line very effectively. The refereeing of the ruck didn't help, but we had better get used to that if we are going to go the distance this year.

Chip and Chase said:
While they are at it can they get Inglis and Slater playing the ball on the mark for once in their lives.

As the finals arrive the refs will keep their whistles in their pockets more and more because they don't want to attract criticism for "influencing' a game with high penalty counts. Look at how much leeway Souths were given with the 10m when we were coming out of our own end on Friday, refs are scared to be seen to be giving teams leg up penalties off their own line in big games.

It's unlikely we will see a big change in ruck interpretation this late in the season, the NRL darlings at Redfern and Melbourne would be up in arms if that was the case. We didn't respect the ball enough on Friday, nor did we bend the line very effectively. The refereeing of the ruck didn't help, but we had better get used to that if we are going to go the distance this year.

good post Chip.

Just on your last point, I think the way to combat the methods of Souths and Melbourne (slowing down the ruck) is intensity. I am not of the belief that we don't have the cattle, and I also don't believe we need to adopt a new approach, we simply need to lift our intensity. We seemed content to let them lay around the play-the-ball, and we didn't push off the line hard and get in their forwards faces when they had the ball. As much as I think the referees played into Souths hands, we were also guilty of playing within ourselves.

The problem I saw on Friday night (at least) was that one moment the refs were calling Souffs players for milking, then in the next breath they're blowing a penalty against us for holding down in the same tackle. Yet when it happened in reverse and the Vermin slowed our play the balls down......nothing.

Want a tweak or toughening up of play-the-balls? Fine.

Just desire the same refocus on fast play-the-balls too (as I said in my post just above). And have said a few times elsewhere.

That stepping off the mark or to the side rapidly, and not even touching the ball with the foot (whether that's Slater, Inglis , Maria or anyone).

I'm beginning to realize too many people post without even reading a thread (as if they're suddenly pointing out an original idea).

I know a lot of us are time-poor quite often.

I still find that pattern frustrating.

Just desire the same refocus on fast play-the-balls too. I have said this a few times elsewhere.

That stepping off the mark or to the side rapidly, and not even touching the ball with the foot (whether that's Slater, Inglis , Maria or anyone).

I'm beginning to realize too many people post without even reading a thread (as if they're suddenly pointing out an original idea).

Only two ways to get consistency here.
1 - have just one ref who polices the ruck all game
2 - make a black and white rule like x seconds after the held call

2 refs was brought in to monitor the wrestling in the ruck.

Unfortunately the switching between positions creates more inconsistency than ever.

I'd like to see a switch to designated main ref and pocket ref for the whole game (with each paying attention to different things) before going back to 1 ref and waiting to see what more the likes of Bellamy can get away with.

Also I have heard the rationale of "if a player walks off the mark he is reducing the room the attacking side has to work in" as an excuse for ignoring walking off the mark. As others have pointed out this doesn't work because it takes the markers out of play and is a massive advantage for the team in possession.

Why is it so hard to just watch the ruck then penalise excessive wrestling and walking off the mark?

maxta said:
As Tooves pointed out, the amount of time wrestling players on the ground Friday night needs to be looked at.

but but but we will put a 2nd referee on the field and that will put an end to it...

I fail to see WHY the NRL are OK with the wrestling? It's obvious to all and sundry and that it spoils the spectacle, so why not do something about it? It simply does not make sense.

mozgrame said:
Just desire the same refocus on fast play-the-balls too. I have said this a few times elsewhere.

I couldn't have put it better myself mate...:exclamation:

RiverEagle said:
mozgrame said:

I couldn't have put it better myself mate...:exclamation:

Sorry Mate...I didn't read any previous posts and thought I was coming up with an original idea. :p:p:p

Well quite understandable @mozgrame

Since your focus and attention (and all your creativity) is being poured into the success of the mighty Capra's mate...Or sumthin' like that!

( Not to forget the regular pursuit of "ideas" to keep Mrs. Moz content!! )

I am the only content that Mrs Moz needs poured into her. Well, me and actual food. LOL!

What do the Capra's and Mrs M after a Manly win have in common? Yep!! ;) :p

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4