Red Turns to Black at the Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle007

Reserve Grader
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-turn-financial-situation-around/story-e6frexnr-1226307537509

Josh Massoud
March 23, 2012 12:00AM

FOR the first time since the club was privatised in 2004, Manly won't need to go cap in hand to their backers at the end of this season. After recording a $1.4 million loss that placed tremendous financial pressure on co-owners Scott Penn and Quantum last year, the premiers are now firmly on track to finish 2012 all square.
Given the in-fighting and bitterness that's been commonplace on the Northern Peninsula, it's a remarkable turnaround in off-field fortunes.

Thanks primarily to limited corporate facilities and seating at Brookvale Oval, Manly have struggled to generate big dollars and racked up consecutive losses that eventually left saviour Max Delmege $15 million poorer.

Penn, Quantum - and to a lesser extent Manly Leagues Club - have shouldered the burden since Delmege sold his shares in 2010, but their frustration with management's consistent inability to generate enough money became palpable midway through last year.

Sea Eagles boss David Perry said his directive upon occupying the hot seat was to make the football club self sufficient.

"It was pretty clear there was frustration (from Penn and Quantum)," Perry told us.

"There was a number of grey areas and they needed changes to be made.

"There was nowhere to hide and we had to turn this business around."

Membership and sponsorship revenue have now boomed to the point where the co-owners won't be asked to contribute a single cent for the remainder of 2012.

Perry also maintains salary levels are the same as last year, despite the defection of Des Hasler and a host of coaching staff to Canterbury.

While new coach Geoff Toovey is on a lower wage than his mentor, Perry has splashed out on former James Boags commercial manager Greg Butterworth to overhaul Manly's corporate arm.

Players are now engaging more with sponsors, who in turn have regular opportunities to network.

And finally the club is set to net a handsome dividend from moving its round 18 match against Parramatta - most likely to Gosford.

Well Done David Perry!!! some positve news

'Seems' swoop? Really. You damn with light praise. Perry's doing a fantastic job. When do you remember anything in the papers being good news about Manly? Always negative, always about how poor we were and all the rest. Best thing he ever did is sack that muppet, and now it's just great to read about good things at the club. Always explaining, always arguing with idiots about the dire straights we were in, it's wonderful to read good things.

DSM5 said:
'Seems' swoop? Really. You damn with light praise. Perry's doing a fantastic job. When do you remember anything in the papers being good news about Manly? Always negative, always about how poor we were and all the rest. Best thing he ever did is sack that muppet, and now it's just great to read about good things at the club. Always explaining, always arguing with idiots about the dire straights we were in, it's wonderful to read good things.

This

Finally some positive news re the club.... Living in brisbane all you EVER hear about is the Broncos: any Manly related news is generally negative..... So combined with DCE's contract it's great to hear some positives for once :)

This is what happens when you get some professionals in the club and **** off the dinosaurs

And the upgraded corporate boxes at Brookie will also help.

DSM5 said:

Mate I agree he's doing a great job, the reason I put "seems" in there was tongue in cheek. Remember according the that knob Ritchie who is saying the our board is a basket case.

I other thing I'd add is I was calling on Zorba to be replaced as media manager and replaced by a tech savvy younger bloke. The Leaks to the DT imo come from him aswell. The less involvement he has in the club the better.

So basically what I'm saying is that I support Perry 100%.

HE was highly regarded in ther Gong by the Dragons. They just couldn't give him the top job because of Doust. When I read he brought some high flying corporates to work with him, I knew things would change, and hey, no more big debt ever year.

I have to say Dave Perry is doing an outstanding job. We are resigning important players, going well financially and we have won 1 GF since he has started. Keep it up.

Not only is Perry doing a great job, but Rachel the new Media manager is as well. It's about time we heard good new stories.

I'll tell you something about Dean Ritchie. There was an article about TRex in the DT yesterday where he made 2 mistakes. One was that Tony is off contract this year, but he signed for 2 years last year so that's incorrect. The other was that Tony Williams would be lucky to get chosen for New South Wales but won't be playing for NEW ZEALAND against Australia. I'm sorry Ritcie but you have to be a player for AUSTRALIA to play in the SOO. Douche bag!!!

Dean and Phil Rothfield have now morphed into the one journo. This new entity is known as Phean 'Bull****e' Rotchie.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6