Recruitment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
P

PEN_12

Hi I have to say I'm starting to get a little concerned with our player retention strategy. We have had a great run but I feel some of our players are getting long in the tooth and best day's are behind them. I know we can't keep everyone but last year we lost Hoppa junior and this year we have now lost Whare leaving a big hole in depth and future when Lyon retires. Now with Brett wanting a big contract I don't think his form warrants a massive deal his biggest asset was his speed and since the knee injuries he has lost that pace and is just another player (imo) Now the forward pack our real x factor not only this year but into the future is T-Rex yet if correct it looks like he is going. Why would we be keeping people like Joe and even big George yet lose T-Rex. I know they are on small deals but that little bit more may keep T-Rex. Finally why the big rush to re sign Matai when he was already under contract for next year?

Its easy to work out.

Win a premiership and all players are worth more and say 10%.

A couple of players are on unders (ie DCE)

So a team (not squad) is worth porbably $2 Mill x 17 = $200,000.00 - $300,000.00
Add uogrades to keep players = $300,000.00 - $400,000.00.

So up to $700,000.00 more to spend.

Add the Bulldogs/Panthers/Roosters who some how have money to spend.

We cant keep them all and we wanted DCE - Foz - Matai. We are going to lose players and thats it.

Our retention thus far has been nothing short of a miracle, cant complain at losing Whare.

As for Rose, Kite and Joe, u can blame Dessie for that. He knew he was leaving and wanted to tie up cap space so he could chase Foran and T-Rex

Considering we had clubs offering big dollars to lure away just about all our off contract (and some still on contract) stars, to keep most of them has been a pretty good effort if you ask me.

I'm sure we'll still pick up some rocks and turn them into diamonds from other clubs which should be a big selling point for us when it comes to negotations. Especially for younger players. We just need to grab a couple of junior team photos from some of our players, highlight everyone that came to our club and note their achievements and how they have improved and then do a what are they doing now on the players that decided to stay, more than likely playing bush footy or pumping petrol.

The recruitment has been arguably the best in the NRL.
The signing of Kennedy, Kite & Lyon having the biggest impact on this side since I have followed them - close to 30 years.
There has been many unwanted & reserve grade players who now have premiership rings.
Recruitment now cannot be judged until all deals are done & finalised.
Tooves has been around this club forever & understands what makes it tick - & that alone gives me faith the players who WANT to stay & deserve the right will be retained.
If we listen to the media speculation about who is leaving we would only have 3 players from the current team on board.
Also we would have won 2 wooden spoons over the past 5 years instead of the 2(3) premierships won....

Does anyone really know what the salary cap will be next year? All we know is that it will be going up when the new tv rights deal has been signed. Can't blame the club and player managers for holding out?

DYEagle said:
Does anyone really know what the salary cap will be next year? All we know is that it will be going up when the new tv rights deal has been signed. Can't blame the club and player managers for holding out?
Greenturd thinks unlimited

PEN_12 said:
Hi I have to say I'm starting to get a little concerned with our player retention strategy. We have had a great run but I feel some of our players are getting long in the tooth and best day's are behind them. I know we can't keep everyone but last year we lost Hoppa junior and this year we have now lost Whare leaving a big hole in depth and future when Lyon retires. Now with Brett wanting a big contract I don't think his form warrants a massive deal his biggest asset was his speed and since the knee injuries he has lost that pace and is just another player (imo) Now the forward pack our real x factor not only this year but into the future is T-Rex yet if correct it looks like he is going. Why would we be keeping people like Joe and even big George yet lose T-Rex. I know they are on small deals but that little bit more may keep T-Rex. Finally why the big rush to re sign Matai when he was already under contract for next year?

Maybe Jamie Lyon has told the club next year will be his last, so Matai's signing would have been a priority. Some posters on here have already mentioned in other threads that Killer might head back to the UK for year or two.

DYEagle said:

Have a look at how many big name players are putting off contract talk until after the TV rights are settled.

Brett Stewart "just another player", wow

On the Jamie Lyon front, I don't think he will head back to the UK, I can't see him dragging his little ones out of school etc.

He may still have 3-4 years here, plenty of time to develop somebody so no need at all to panic. Remember 18 months ago it was pretty much Daly who

Anybody that was on here in the 2010 off season will remember the many, many topics about how ordinary our squad was, too old etc, and the re-signing of players and the retention policy etc was awful, and we know how 2011 worked out

I never want to see any player leave the club, but I'm happy with the recruitment policies of the administration. If T-Rex is seduced by an extra 50K, then that's his business. Personally if that's his attitude, rather than repay us for his development, and paying him with his constant injuries and suspensions, then good riddance. Strange decision for Whare to think he'd be a walk in at Penrith. I'd like to see him stay. Lyon going would be hard, and I'd hope that we offer him something to stay for a couple of more seasons. Look at Beaver killing them os. Players like Lyon who have stayed out of the grind of rep footie can go on to middle 30s and still be effective.

Yeah I reckon Jamie has a fair few years left on the clock. Even if he loses a bit of pace I can see him doing well in a jason smith type role, he was another player who had longevity

Not sure i have read anything recent re Jamie wanting to finish in the UK

It was mentioned when he first came back, but for a family man who does not like to leave his kids during origin (and the disruption) why would he go to the UK?

As for recruitment as far as I can see it fits into one of two thoughts

Dave Warwick has been doing all the work for a while so we will be right
Crusher did all the work and now we are screwed!
No one has been as successful as us which is primarily down to our recruitment

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4