Recruitment for 07 ....and beyond

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think Crushers just so over the moon about Lyon (as we all are), he thinks the job is done. The club said our MAIN priority was to replace BK mid season. We then went on to:-

Miss out on Pritchard;
Miss out on Creagh;
Miss out on Simpson;
Turned our nose up on a NZ international in Faumuina;
Mayer turned his nose up on Timmins & Guttenbeill;
Unfortunately couldn't get BK to play another year;

Now the club want to put a diminutive Matai (NZ test centre) in at Lock as a stop gap. A theory that made Jamal Lolesi ask for a release and go to the ESL.

Manly is the only team (apart from the Premiership winning Broncos) that has failed to source another current NRL 1st grade player to our club in 2007.

I'm sorry mate, but I'm with you and Flipper on this one.

Adding players like Phil Moorwood to our PL ranks really just doesn't cut it.

We've lost:-

Mark Lennon
Paul Stephenson
Ashley Alberts
Kane Cleal
Michael Witt
Kylie Leuluai
Ben Kennedy
Daniel Harrison (jnr NSW player !!!)
Mitch Creary (retired I think, but may be talked out of it - again)

And have bought:-

Jamie Lyon
Glenn Hall !!!!
Jack Afamasanga (injured ALL year !!!!)

If we get any long term injuries...I am very concerned about who will be running out on the field. I hope Matabele is doing some off season training.

Glad the negative glasses are back on Ryan. I am sure that Crusher is so happy he has signed Lyon that he has taken the rest of the year off. After all we don't need anybody or anything for next year.

Of your list of who we have lost only BK is really of any significance so don't get too excited. Haven't we seen this drivel in other posts - It's going to be a long off-season though I am looking for the "We are dead certain to be premiers" post next week. ;)

I think Crushers just so over the moon about Lyon (as we all are), he thinks the job is done. The club said our MAIN priority was to replace BK mid season. We then went on to:-

Miss out on Pritchard;
Miss out on Creagh;
Miss out on Simpson;
Turned our nose up on a NZ international in Faumuina;
Mayer turned his nose up on Timmins & Guttenbeill;
Unfortunately couldn't get BK to play another year;

Now the club want to put a diminutive Matai (NZ test centre) in at Lock as a stop gap. A theory that made Jamal Lolesi ask for a release and go to the ESL.

Manly is the only team (apart from the Premiership winning Broncos) that has failed to source another current NRL 1st grade player to our club in 2007.

I'm sorry mate, but I'm with you and Flipper on this one.

Adding players like Phil Moorwood to our PL ranks really just doesn't cut it.

We've lost:-

Mark Lennon
Paul Stephenson
Ashley Alberts
Kane Cleal
Michael Witt
Kylie Leuluai
Ben Kennedy
Daniel Harrison (jnr NSW player !!!)
Mitch Creary (retired I think, but may be talked out of it - again)

And have bought:-

Jamie Lyon
Glenn Hall !!!!
Jack Afamasanga (injured ALL year !!!!)

If we get any long term injuries...I am very concerned about who will be running out on the field. I hope Matabele is doing some off season training.

Turned up our nose on a drunken, loud mouth NZ international.
Mayer turned up his nose at Timmins who has since retired due to injury, what a shocking decision by Mayer!!! :roll:

How many other teams have bought a current international squad member?

"Now the club want to put a diminutive Matai (NZ test centre) in at Lock as a stop gap. A theory that made Jamal Lolesi ask for a release and go to the ESL. "

Says who ?? Another one of you theories no doubt.

Anyway, out of that list BK and Kylie are the only ones you would consider a loss. The rest are just PL standard and won't be missed.

I'd hardly say that Creagh, Pritchard and Simpson deciding to stay with their current clubs means we missed out. It's always harder to lure palyers away from their comfort zone. Timmins would have been a waste of money, as has been proven with his recent retirement. Guttenbeil would have been at best a short term solution. Faumuina can play but has well publicised discipline issues. You'd be first to whine if we signed him and he turned out to be a d*ckhead. You forgot about the ESL backrowers that you keep fantasising about as well. Why haven't we signed one of those ?

Take the red pills, they're the uppers.

Faaaarrrrrrkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doom and gloom and the season has only been over for a week.

Dessie hasn't even named our squad yet for next year so we don't even know what other players we have recruited.

Hopefully the rumours about us signing Charlie Tonga are true because I beleive that he would be a huge crowd favourite at brookie.

He is big and strong and we would finally have a player who can make an impact of the bench. Crusher is also looking in the UK for more forwards so don't be surprised if we announce more signings shortly.

How can you make a statement that our forwards are farked next year? We have the beaver, Kite, Rose and the world's best prop in Kingy. There would not be many packs better than ours next year.

Not to mention that we also have a couple of the best centres in the world in our team for next year.

Take a chill pill bro and sink a couple of dozen beers and watch this space for more signings soon.

Kingy rules.

Relax boys, and don't panic about our pack for next year. Matai as lock is a good move and our other forwards will do a decent enough job. Aside from King (who I expect will step up next year with his muscular legs developed for some superior leg drive) the others will do a competent enough job for our undoubted excellent back line to score some tries and keep us competetive for the season. And who's to know what talent we may spot in the ESL to lure out to the northern beaches. I have fond memories of the game against melbourne at brookie when our PLers stood up and gave it to the much fancied melbourne mob. I'm optomistic. I'd be happy if Roach went though.

Crusher in england looking at players more like bludging on a payed holiday,he has done nothing since being sacked at Parramatta.He made his name as a junior talent scout at parra how hards that Dennis gave him all the money in the world to buy any young talent around so how good is he really time to ask some questions about people involved in recruitment at the club.

GRANT MAYER NO NAME

NOEL CLEAL NO PERFORMANCE

PETER PETERS BEEN THERE ALL THE TIME SPONGING OF CLUB surely we can get more capable man or women incharge of A ONCE GREAT CLUB

well since Crusher came on board all our teams have moved from the bottom of the ladder to be playing finals footy. That goes for SG Ball through to First Grade I am pretty sure. Must be doing something right.

We have lost BK which is huge but everyone else is no big loss. Some of these available places in the NRL side will be taken by PL players, some of the posters above have been asking to have some players given time in 1sts for a while now or they will look elsewhere as they are definately good enough. Now some are jumping up and down about not signing anyone to take the departing players positions, farking idiots :wall:

I am sure we have signed some more juniors with some of the current ones stepping up into PL.

Well said garts.

All we need is probably one more forward who can give us some go forward. Cuthbo will slot into BK's postion and Ballin will take over from Dunley.

Crusher in england looking at players more like bludging on a payed holiday,he has done nothing since being sacked at Parramatta.He made his name as a junior talent scout at parra how hards that Dennis gave him all the money in the world to buy any young talent around so how good is he really time to ask some questions about people involved in recruitment at the club.

GRANT MAYER NO NAME

PETER PETERS BEEN THERE ALL THE TIME SPONGING OF CLUB surely we can get more capable man or women incharge of A ONCE GREAT CLUB

At least being bleak is not as weak as being BLEEK :p

GRANT MAYER NO NAME

for your info Beek, Isent the club and email addressed to crusher that the illawarra semi's were on and that there were about a dozen players worth having a look at in the 18s semi's, he rang me on my mobile to ask what time that game was on, as far as I know he went to that game an I coul;dnt make it that day, we all have to do our part and if giving Crucher tips helps I will help as Garts said Manly are up playing semi's again and not down helping the chooks hold the bottom of the comp up
Zorba on 2ky does more foe Manly than you can imagine not like the rest of the Media
Grant Mayer may be unheard of before but Manly wouldnt have appointed a no name if they thought he wasnt going to do a good job

What is the use in having junior recruitment and development when Des wont blood any of them?

Miss out on Creagh;

You complain about missing out on Creagh, then complain about the possibility of moving a back (Mattai) to the Backrow????

Do you realise that Creagh came into firstgrade as a winger???

Also didn't Faumuina play as a centre when he was at Canberra???

Also Wiki seamed to go alright when he got moved from the centre's to the backrow to prop

SBW debuted in the top grade as a centre

Pffft - Our forwards were dominated in the most important games of the year - St George Illawaraa in that final for one. Melbourne for two. Brisbane for 3 and 4. Ben Kennedy was our most prolific metre maker in the backrow.
People are forgetting Kylie Leuluai has also gone as well. Yes, he was suspended quite a lot, but also added a lot when on the park for the limited time he got.

You can suggest all you want, but it's glaringly obvious to anyone without the rose coloured glasses, that we need to improve 15-20% up front to be a force. If you think King / Willow / Rose / Bryant and co. can do that, then more power to you.

As for Matai - it was written by a poster in the Wests Tigers official forum that he was asked to play more 2nd row with the release of Sam Harris, and this apparently warranted him asking for a release.

It would be great to say we have a team of hero's, that can achieve religious status, but the facts are that will not happen.

Again, like Flipper, and the author of this thread has said, recruitment has been down this year, and while Jamie is great, it's probably a buy in a forward position that was and is needed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4