Recruitment Around the Clubs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
The Daily Terror has a full page article on Which Stars are Moving. It lists the big names off contract, gives a short blurb and makes a predicition as to where the player will end up.

What is staggering is that Manly are not mentioned at all with any of these players, except to say that Orford had agreed to go to Manly and then turned them down. (What happened?)

Players mentioned include the following (with the tip as to where they will end up).

Orford - Souths
Anasta - Souths
Mason - Bulldogs or Roosters
Bailey - Dragons 2006 and G Coast 2007
Berrigan - Broncos
Carroll - Broncos 2006 and G Coast 2007
J. Cayless - St Helens
O'Hara - Wests
Flannery - Roosters
Lolesi - Wigan and G Coast in 2007
Chris Walker - nobody wants him
Crocker - Melbourne

Worth noting that there are very few centres there and Manly could do a lot worse than snag Lolesi for a year. Manly are still short a class forward (Prop maybe) in my view and should be in the market, though we may be looking to get someone on the second tier than at the price that most of these players will commanc.

Also noteworthy is an article featuring Jamie Lyon, how happy he is at St Helens and how much he likes the country lifestyle. Included in the article is how good it would be for him to be on the Gold Coast, not far from Ballina and Wee Waa, where his relatives live.

All speculation - at this stage the journo probably doesn't know much more than you or me. Look at Flannery and PJs thread as an example (BTW PJs source on this is very good)

I agree Wheel.
I wouldn't have posted the news if it wasn't a reliable source but alot of journos go off a whim with third or fourth hand information or, if it's desperation stakes in the news room, they might just make it up.
I wouldn't trust the crap alot of managers would be feeding the journos at present just for their own finacial gain further down the track in regard to contract negotiations.

It really is a joy to hit the silly season again..... At least we are level headed about it at AE. You should see the crap posts on OEE and how they gobble it up. It doesn't even raise a smile anymore. Come back Mata - we need some decent reading.

must admit i just read that story at lunch and was alarmed that the eagles didnt rate a mention, hopefully its no news is good news and everything is hush hush, otherwise i must admit im a bit concerned, just wondering if banaghans rants and raves and finger pointing at the eagles have been a massive negative influence on the club and all associated with it, apart from Monaghs wallet.

Everyone is singing Crushers praises, but I would like to ask which players he has bought to the club SO FAR that have made an impact.

Ashley Alberts?
Michael Witt?
Kane Cleal?

If you looked at the players (on paper anyway) that was purchased PRIOR to him getting here, we seemed to be in a better bargaining position then!!! ALA Kimmorley, Mcguinness & co..

Yes - those players didn't turn out, but they were HIGHER profile.

Last year we missed out on NUMEROUS players, and bought Ben Kennedy & Brent Kite. (Witt fell into our hands when Parra didn't want him).

Fair enough. It just doesn't look like Manly are in the market when being up against another club for players:-

Tahu
Moule
Tate
Lyon
etc etc.

I guarantee Lyon will be in The Gold Coast.

We saw how our "depth" was tested last weekend, and in my opinion, this weekend, and that is what Crusher is here for.

ah once again we ask for instant solutions, not even 1 year and he is expected to have changed a team that came 13th into premiership favourites.

If you paid attention to some of the players he brought here there were plenty the were flegg players as well as PL. They will not be 1st graders for a few years but when they get there they should be the goods

"Orford had agreed to go to Manly and then turned them down. (What happened?)"

This explains the brouhaha over Monas' contractual negotiations. Close, but no cigar eh.

ah once again we ask for instant solutions, not even 1 year and he is expected to have changed a team that came 13th into premiership favourites.

If you paid attention to some of the players he brought here there were plenty the were flegg players as well as PL. They will not be 1st graders for a few years but when they get there they should be the goods

correct Fluff, Ryan not sure what you expect, while we may not win the premiership this year, we where last this time last year. Hopefully we ad a sprinkling of Crushers young talent mixed with some blue chips over next three years, we will then be back where we belong.

I have read that Wigan may look to release Vaealiki.

He is still young and has some skill.

As for Flannery,I heard about a month ago that the Warriors were goign to throw BIG money at a player that has played Origin for Qld and can play #6,I can only think of Flannery to fit that description

Vaealiki would be a good pick up - as loong as we dont pay overs. We have a top team now and should be able to get players here on proper money with the bonus of winning many

Ryan, I reckon you are way to early to speculate on Crusher's impact.

Three years ago we were fighting for the spoon, Pl was stone cold motherless last and Flegg, Ball, Matthews juniors teams would win about 2 games a season.

This year we were one game off the Ball final and lost narrowly to the team that won the final. A few guys in that team are future stars. Flegg has some good young players. PL was in the top four last year and are there and abouts again with a lot of young players.

Recruitment is a careful process and some young players need to be nursed and nurtured. Go back to 91/92/93 a very similar process took place that led to success in the middle 90s. A lot of things need to fall into place - good coaching, development, recruitment and retention and judicious purchasing.

The days of throwing a chequebook at 6 players to buy a premiership are over with the salary cap (never worked anyway) and so development of good young players is the way to go. Broncos, Rorters and Dogs rarely buy big names, they just develop carefully recruited junior talent. Our mob is just starting this game and our future depends partly on the success of this.

Go Crusher!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4