Recruitment and Retention news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Sea Eagles have never had any problem signing who the club wants as it's an incredibly successful club and both players and managers know that being involved with Manly increases the likelihood of becoming or staying a representative player.

Sure we've had some years when we've missed the finals in the last 30 years but we're the only team to have won a grand final in every decade since the 70's.

The issue for a Manager comes down to money and culture. A manager makes his money from a player's income and that includes sponsorship (ads, endorsements etc) and which club has the least cultural issues that could impact on that.

Most 1st grade players would be struggling to earn the average wage outside of rugby league ($78k) and for many under 25 years of age, particularly Islanders with young families to support and their responsibility to their extended family, money is the key driver.

Clubs don't exhibit loyalty to players and so players and their managers exhibit loyalty as such.

The good thing about Manly is that many players do actually aspire to play for the club as they recognise a club with success and so we generally do not have to pay 'overs' to get a player we want.

Stewart 800k
Lyon 700k
Matai 550k
Mateo 600k
Burgess 250k
Moltzen 50k
Lawrence 200k
Starling 100k
Symonds 150k
Vave 100k

3.5 million to spend
Based on what?

You have plucked figures out of the air, assumed that players are paid a consistent figure each year as part of their salary, failed to take into account contracted players at other clubs we are paying, players who will receive more money based on their performance this year....all of which will just fuel your disappointment when the club does not sign "3.5" million dollars worth of talent

I would say that has been the case, not so sure that is true at the currently, we are a basket case with a rookie coach, not overly appealing unless we pay big $$$

Not necessarily a basketcase. Our issues haven't been persistent (if random) acts of stupidy by players as say Parra

Most of our problems (even the disgruntled) have a recognisable cause and effect. Our Form, well 13 debutants and using some 30 players due to injury or suspension in one year is also a recognisable problem. Rookie coach, yeah but what a schooling he has had this year.

In other words, I don't think our current travails are entrenched. The disgruntled moved on, a season with less injury, and a second year coach can make all seem rosy.

Players and managers aren't stupid. They are part of the industry and know what is going on. Niether Barrett nor the playing group have appeared to drop their bundle.

Thurston couldn't buy a beer or a meal in Townsville if he tried. Imagine when he retires, there wouldn't be a bar or restaurant in Qld that would charge him. They'd probably pay him to turn up. Lockyer is on easy street throughout SE Qld. He earns more now than he ever did as a player, and the kick backs...well, according to Tallis, Locky is doing more than OK.

Nothing to do with R & R, but I wonder how Snake will go in Sydney when he retires? Will he be the unofficial Mayor of Manly, being paid cash for pop up appearances and good money for promo work for years to come?

I hope so.

Not necessarily a basketcase. Our issues haven't been persistent (if random) acts of stupidy by players as say Parra

Most of our problems (even the disgruntled) have a recognisable cause and effect. Our Form, well 13 debutants and using some 30 players due to injury or suspension in one year is also a recognisable problem. Rookie coach, yeah but what a schooling he has had this year.

In other words, I don't think our current travails are entrenched. The disgruntled moved on, a season with less injury, and a second year coach can make all seem rosy.

Players and managers aren't stupid. They are part of the industry and know what is going on. Niether Barrett nor the playing group have appeared to drop their bundle.

I was more alluding to the club rather than the players being a basket case

I'm worried they will do something stupit and spend all money on Foz. Or worse still most of it is need just to play Walker and kapow.

We have been linked with a few out side backs, back rowers during the season and seemed to fail every time.

It could be the media pushing up an asking price.

But even then it is still not a good sign.

Stewart 800k
Lyon 700k
Matai 550k
Mateo 600k
Burgess 250k
Moltzen 50k
Lawrence 200k
Starling 100k
Symonds 150k
Vave 100k

3.5 million to spend
The minimum allowable contract is $82,500 I believe - so Moltzen wouldn't be on $50k. I'd imagine Starlo would be closer to $175k. Lawrence might be on a little more - say $250k. Symonds was probably on a touch more also, with Mateo on $550k from memory.

The question is whether we carry any of Matai or Snake's contract next year if both do move on. Medical retirement is the best outcome from a cap perspective, or the ESL clubs are willing to pay the same value for them as per their current contract (at least for the first year of any new contract they sign).

We should have some serious money to play with. We just need to make the most of this upcoming opportunity and not blow it on a has been or never will be.

Bob Fulton has to go.His latest player his trying to sign is Akulia Uate.Fair dinkum his career is over.I think bozo is getting the early signs of Dementia.
giphy.gif

I would rather the club not panic and buy some of the players floated on here...and use spare money to secure our talented players first

Bob Fulton has to go.His latest player his trying to sign is Akulia Uate.Fair dinkum his career is over.I think bozo is getting the early signs of Dementia.

Is this because we are about to miss out on Brenko Lee as Dogs are now in the box seat. Why can't we land any of our targets all of a sudden?

Is this because we are about to miss out on Brenko Lee as Dogs are now in the box seat. Why can't we land any of our targets all of a sudden?
#13th @;)

• 🤝
Reactions: Ben
Uate is a has-been IMO.

You know, for years I've heard that in the final years of his career, Lockyer was only being paid $350k by the Broncos and that he was making about a million in TPA's (lets face it, they would have had sponsors knocking down their door trying to keep him in Brisbane). Question is, if that's true how did the NRL allow his actual contract to be so low given that at the time he was ranked as the worlds best player and was the Aussie and Qld captain? Remember they knocked back our attempt at only offering Gifty around the same money and with all due respect to Gift, Lockyer would have been rated a higher value player by the league.

More favouritism from the NRL and their Nein overlords/benefactors perhaps?

The players will sign where the money is. If we miss out on a player it's because someone offered him more. DCE was going to the Titans FFS before he backflipped. Trent Hodkinson went to Newcastle.
I don't believe Manly has lost the ability to attract quality signings due to missing the finals in 15/16. It all comes down to the dollars. Back ended contracts are a nightmare. This year is a nightmare but the real Manly will be back.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4