Recent recruitment and moving forward

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
It's not just the players we are recruiting are not that exciting, as players who will ignite or lift the Manly team, we seem to be recruiting recently from pretty ordinary clubs with losing ratio's of 80%.
As bad as Dogs are, you see a player like Addo Carr who even as a winger coming from a strong club with a winning attitude (and speed) seems to have a positive influence.
Bringing in average at best players from cellar dwellar teams does not inspire fans and to be honest, I doubt it inspires the players.
Would prefer to either give our own youngsters a shot and if not good enough stay in Blacktown or move on, or get 1 "star quality" player as opposed to 3-4 duds.
Yes I know the old salary cap probs and DCE, Tom, Jake taking up so much cap space, but it's levelled out in recent years where "most" teams have a few players up near a million and still manage to be in hunting for the big recruits without too much explanation.
Anyways, just hope we can build a strong healthy 17 and in future, maybe wait for the recruits who will make an impact rather than simply adding a weakness to the squad like recent years.

Would prefer to either give our own youngsters a shot and if not good enough stay in Blacktown or move on, or get 1 "star quality" player as opposed to 3-4 duds.
We are giving our young pathway players a shot. Haumole, Schuster, Fainu, Koula, Weekes, and a couple more in the pipeline. Paseka and Keppie were brought here as kids.

Yes I know the old salary cap probs and DCE, Tom, Jake taking up so much cap space, but it's levelled out in recent years where "most" teams have a few players up near a million and still manage to be in hunting for the big recruits without too much explanation.
A few days after Seibold was revealed as new coach, Manly was reported to make a big offer to Flegler. So I think we are open to offering big money, for the right player.
Meanwhile aside from our 'big 3' we've also got Schu and Haumole on big money.
It's pretty clear we're currently gambling on Schu cutting the mustard. If he does then we won't be making too many 'name' purchases - and won't need to. Just keep the talented youngsters coming through, and some bargain journeymen capable of stepping up.

Meanwhile aside from our 'big 3' we've also got Schu and Haumole on big money.
Lets us not be limited by our limited thinking
as the only limitation are the ones we place our selves by hiring mediocre people at our club

The biggest affect on the Salary cap is not is not the big money
Its the Big Salary cap managers that can challenge the system
and the Big recruiters that have a Big eyes that can unearth new talent at low cap costs and high on field returns

The Greatest Investment of Any Organisation is the Great People that it acquires

One of our Greatest club investments . The Premiership winning Godfather
Ken Arthurson - The Godfather of Manly Sea Eagles

I don't think 'big recruits' is the issue. You can effectively recruit at a lower level but its just finding the right players.

Eg Hopgood was recruited the same time as Tuilagi......Hopgood at 13 for us would have been fantastic.

Or Panthers pick upHosking cheap and we get Condon.

There are good pickups out there.

Overall I think our juniors and pathways work has been quite good but our NRL recruitment leaves a bit to be desired.

Even next season with Talau.....I see Alamoti, Billy Smith and Averillo all as more sensible options.

Yeah, I'd like to see us bring 1 big-name quality player in on good money and promote some of our juniors to fill the gaps. Our junior pathways program needs to be given a chance.

Not sure that this is the time for the conversation.

Recent recruiting has been rubbish. Scott Fulton was in charge of recruitment for quite some time. Roster shaping time. Scott Fulton has not long left the club.

Let's just see what happens.

Good planning, the right signings and careful retention are essential. Even having financial clout is not sufficient on it's own just look at the Roosters at present.

P
Not sure that this is the time for the conversation.

Recent recruiting has been rubbish. Scott Fulton was in charge of recruitment for quite some time. Roster shaping time. Scott Fulton has not long left the club.

Let's just see what happens.

Agreed - will be interesting to see if we start recruiting from other clubs now that SF is gone! Rather than tigers being our feeder club that is

Is it, as the likes of @The Who has said previously, that Manly is no longer an attractive destination for young players because it’s so expensive to live here?

Add to that the greater proportion of Polynesian players in the game today, to whom family & religion are so important, & therefore are less likely to move out of their home area?

I don't think 'big recruits' is the issue. You can effectively recruit at a lower level but its just finding the right players.

Eg Hopgood was recruited the same time as Tuilagi......Hopgood at 13 for us would have been fantastic.

Or Panthers pick upHosking cheap and we get Condon.

There are good pickups out there.

Overall I think our juniors and pathways work has been quite good but our NRL recruitment leaves a bit to be desired.

Even next season with Talau.....I see Alamoti, Billy Smith and Averillo all as more sensible options.
Condon, on recent performances, looks as though he will be a good signing.

It may not necessarily be about the who you recruit and from where but what you do with them when you get them. You just have to look at the "rubbish" the Storm have recruited over the years. Didn't Addo Carr and Ryan Pap go there from the Tigers?
What???
Papp and Addo rubbish - they were both kids with Massive potential
Yes both potential stars and young.....how to compare with players who have been average and around for years is chalk and cheese.
Papenhuyzen was the best player in the U'20's comp and Addo Carr was the quickest youngster in the game, who had a number of clubs after him.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6