Recalled Sea Eagles props Josh Starling and Brenton Lawrence playing for their futures

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
SEA Eagles forward Josh Starling has revealed he and fellow front-rower Brenton Lawrence have a special motivation following their recall to the NRL side for Monday’s game with the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt.

“This is our last year on contract at Manly and we are hoping to have a good year so we can stay around,” Starling said.

“We want to stay here because it is a good club and we love all the boys. But if it is not meant to be, you have to put yourself in a good position to have somewhere else to go.”

Starling said he was returning to the starting side hungrier after playing in the NSW Cup last weekend.

183915c0d0d8f3ea5f27d040d6acdf99

Sea Eagles prop Brenton Lawrence is back to take on the Tigers..
“I’m pretty pumped, it’s been a really long pre-season. I’m ready to go again,” he said.

v1

“You always want to play first grade but I understood where they were coming from — the calibre of players they have here, it is hard to get angry.

“You can either sit around and kick stones or get out there and work hard and try and get in the team.”

And he knows with the depth of front-rowers at the club — Darcy Lussick, Luke Burgess and rising star Liam Knight are all in the NSW Cup team this week — there is pressure to perform.

“There are plenty of people who are going to come up and jump in your spot if you are not ready,” Starling said.

He said he had played a fair bit of first grade now and knew what it took to get into the team and stay there.

“That is what I want to do, I feel like I am a first-grader and I don’t want to be the sort of guy who just comes up and down — that is a good replacement in case someone gets injured,” he said.

“I’m hoping to cement my spot wherever I can.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/24b15703490af80abfe4097b5e10efb9

He's a first grader. And he was angry in the trial against Cronulla. Bring some of that on Monday and he'll be a regular this year.

And he knows with the depth of front-rowers at the club — Darcy Lussick, Luke Burgess and rising star Liam Knight are all in the NSW Cup team this week — there is pressure to perform.

You know there's issues when you have to worry about Luke Burgess.............

He's a first grader. And he was angry in the trial against Cronulla. Bring some of that on Monday and he'll be a regular this year.
At their best I rate Lawrence and Starling ahead of Myles and Lussick. They have a great opportunity to cement a spot in the first grade team. And I think they will.

There has been a lot of hype around our new forward pack. While I think Tapau and Parcell were great additions I'm not so sure about the other acquisitions. I was never thrilled with the Nate Myles signing, particularly if he is getting more coin than Lawrence and Starling. I think last week was evidence of how he will be treated by the better forward packs. He was totally dominated. No amount of statistics will cover what I saw on the field.

I am excited by the prospect of a fit, rejuvenated, Lawrence having an impact with some hard straight runs.

It's amazing what a bit of desire and effort can do for your game. Both should hold their spot for next week for sure

• 🤝
Reactions: Baz
Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2