Rant-the great 'pall" over Australian sport

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
If I have to listen to Gould,Hadley and Co talk about the great pall cast over Australian sport and the effect on our great nation by that press conference I will turn it up.Aparently the rest of the world can't sleep worryng about our highly paid heroes dabbling with the needle.This is the real beat up.

Lets have a quick look at these world fans who are up in arms about our involvement in drugs.

Ray Lewis just openly palyed in a superbowl on PE drugs.The game attracted billions of viewers,tickets are 1k minimum,sponsors climb over each other to get access,it costs 2 million a minute to advertise and it is the greatest show of American pride each and every year.Killers,rapists,drug dealers,drug users,cock fighters and steroid fuelled robots have all adorned the same stage and each and every Superbowl tells us no one cares.

120,000 people every second week turn up to 'The Big House"at Michigan State to watch 19 year olds play college football in a student game with a history of cheating and drug abuse which was capped nicely this year by a hall of fame coach being jailed for life for years of indecently dealing with and sexually assualting his charges.

Baseballers earn up to 30 million a year,they play 4 or 5 times a week in front of 40,000 people and Roger Clemens,Mark Maguire and Sammy Soza adorn their hall of fame.

An NBL star just tested positive to a steroid and receieved a ban of 5 weeks due to a strong players association.No one blinked an eye.I lived in Chicago and getting a ticket to the Bulls was like winning Lotto and nothing has changed.The same rapists,drug cheats and murderers strut their stuff on that fine stage as well.

The Tour de France is a chemical fuelled lottery which is still watched by billions each year and attracts a one off payment by televison stations in the billions.Try to get a seat at a cafe in this country on saturday morning without tripping over a f...ing bike.

European soccer is the international playground for match fixers and cocaine users with entire teams being found guilt of match fixing on a regular basis.The stadiums are not big enough to hold the crowds.

Pakistani pacebowlers seemed to be required to go to jail for match fixing early in their careers as part of their national development scheme.The IPL will no doubt be infected and they will still hang from the rafters.

In Korea in 1988 the entire field in the 100 metres tested positive and almost every single champion tested positive since.Do you think those crammed into that London stadium to watch Bolt were afflicted by a lack of sleep due to the drug issue.

And we are supposed to believe that the whole world is up in arms about this and all of the above world fans have given good old Aus the bullet.Give me a break.But it makes for a nice catch cry for the shock jocks.

And locally ,on the one hand we hear that the whole thing is a total beat up with no factual basis and the public is angry as hell because they don't believe it is backed by fact - and in the next breath they wax lyrical about the irreperable damage to,in Gus Goulds words,"our great nation" despite the vast majority not believing it.They cant have it both ways.

In actual fact the only thing keeping anyone awake is waiting for Round 1 to start.

Our authorities should go hard at this simply because it is the right thing to do to try to protect athletes health and the integrity of our sport even if we are fighting against the tide.Lets just get on with it without the scaremongering about the end of Australia's sporting reputation and political pointscoring .I hope they go hard and give the cheats plenty but in the end it wont stop me going to Brookie with my kids.

Any improvement in the fight gainst drugs is to be applauded but people will watch sport because it is in our DNA and we love our tribalism.And if we watch it dont worry,good old OAK YOGHURT will sponsor it and Channel Nein will pay to cover it despite the horse**** from Hadlee and Bourbon Beccie

How many do you think will be at Suncorp on March 8?

I'm glad you got that off your chest:)

Seriously, you have very valid points.

yep swoop.apologies.my hatred for Hadley is such that medication is the next step.Ive always wondered how Fatty,sterlo and co manage to work with him given their history.

susan said:
yep swoop.apologies.my hatred for Hadlee is such that medication is the next step.Ive always wondered how Fatty,sterlo and co manage to work with him given their history.

Hadley is a nobody! I hate the prick aswell.

Agreed. As I mentioned somewhere else, there hasn't been a peep about this in Canada.

Everyone is more interested in the drug and idiot (mostly) free (ice) hockey, curling (lol), soccer...etc.

It's only once you spend some time outside of lovely nice and warm Australia that you see how small we are on the world radar.

We tend to 'punch above our weight' in most things though.

Did you guys realize the world championships of Alpine skiing has been on for the last week?

No?

Well there's the reverse awareness situation about our 'dramas.'

This whole pride/promoting of the “down to earth fair/balanced minded non cheating above all evil Australian” is what the rest of the world is sick of hearing because they know it's a crock of shyte.

It's easy to act in the above manner when there is no temptation to test your true character, in the case of Australian athletes that is “Professional Sport” which really has only been possible for the last 15yrs.

With the financial incentives now on offer and the world becoming a smaller place due to digital media Australians are now realising our true core is no different to any other human on this planet. It's our own misplaced pride that is taking a hit and the rest of the world is just sitting back and laughing at our “how can it happen to us we are so above all this” mentality.

Our isolation, small population base and limited financial capacity have all come together to regulate our attitude and way of thinking. Once our core was tested with temptation, influence and greed we find that our percentages in relation to crossing that line in the sand will be no different to any other country.

Agreed TC.Every single professional team sport in the world has a history of drug cheating and a coinciding history of increasing crowds and salaries.
As the salaries rise so does the extent and sophistication of the problem.As you said it is only in recent years that cheating will have become a viable option as the rewards now are very lucrative.

And Hadley and co are suggesting that we are simply different.It is a crock of **** and most know it even if they wont admit it.We will be the same as everywhere else-we will have an increasing cheating problem and we will try to fight it.And in the meantime crowds and salaries will rise.

I have spent plenty of time O/S and anyone who thinks it was not forgotten by the world 5 minutes after they heard it is a fool or a shock jock.(The possible exception may be the old dart where they will cling to anything re Aussies).These people love their own sports that they know are drug riddled yet somehow we are expected to believe that they are losing sleep over a country and sports they know nothing about.

How these dickheads like Kent and Hadlee get away with it without censure in this country says a lot about our insulation to the real world.

Holy **** this is " deep and meaningful" for a Sunday morning!!

And yes pleased you did get that off your chest and have to agree Hadley is a moron.

Luckily I live in QLD, don't watch the footy show so never see or hear the bastard!!

Singleton pays Hadley $5 million dollars a year.He is the highest paid media personality in the country.Second is Jones who has just relinquished his top spot.No wonder half the country believes the world give a toss about us and our sporting drama.

And we all know what side of politics the above dropkicks all have in common and we want that side of politics to run the country---seriously we are a brainwashed nation.

Oh "better economic managers" yeah right i'll save the list of crap they spill in this regard for the correct forum.

I had to get this off my chest in a sporting forum could no longer restrain myself and avoid the politics in here for the past couple of weeks.

Roger Clemens,Mark Maguire and Sammy Soza adorn their hall of fame.
When did any of these get into the baseball hall of fame?

It was meant as sarcasm 76.Maguire and Soza and many others like them bashed home run after home run and Clemens pitched forever while the whole world knew they were on drugs.I was simply empahasizing that in the end it has zero effect on how the their fans view the game and the fact that if anyone thinks they give a toss about us then they have serious problems.

susan said:
It was meant as sarcasm 76.Maguire and Soza and many others like them bashed home run after home run and Clemens pitched forever while the whole world knew they were on drugs.I was simply empahasizing that in the end it has zero effect on how the their fans view the game and the fact that if anyone thinks they give a toss about us then they have serious problems.

Their misdemeanour's were often overlooked as they were seen as saving baseball after the MLBPA strikes and issues from the 1994 season. It will most likely mean that unless there is a fundamental shift in attitude towards drugs in sport that these players likenesses will never be enshrined in Cooperstown by the BBWA.

It will be a bit more interesting in the future if the current debate raging in the States over changes to the voting panel to extend to other forms of media other than the print media (which has totally dominated the voting process since its inception)is given more credence.If we see a panel that includes bloggers,ESPN commentators and the like who knows who will end up there.There are even calls for a breakaway group with their own conditions of entry.

globaleagle said:
Agreed. As I mentioned somewhere else, there hasn't been a peep about this in Canada.

Everyone is more interested in the drug and idiot (mostly) free (ice) hockey, curling (lol), soccer...etc.

It's only once you spend some time outside of lovely nice and warm Australia that you see how small we are on the world radar.

We tend to 'punch above our weight' in most things though.

Did you guys realize the world championships of Alpine skiing has been on for the last week?

No?

Well there's the reverse awareness situation about our 'dramas.'

But they all know who Alan Langer is right? Or is that just the Chinese? Sorry, my memories of Super League propaganda are starting to fade a bit...

Really great thread with real intelligence. Agree wholeheartedly. Love being a Manly fan with you lot!

According to the United Nations World Drug Report 2012 Australia is the number 1 user of cannabis and ecstacy in the world per head of population with one in 10 kids over 14 having used ecstacy.The only area where we drag the chain is heroin.

We have always been near the top of the list regarding alcohol.

Being a wealthy country with high disposable income the fact we are high on the list is to be expected and not all that surprising,although number 1 is a bit nasty.What it clearly shows is we follow global social trends to a tee.Unfortunately it could be said we exceed them in the area of drug abuse.

Yet we are expected to believe that in the area of PE drugs it is all a big political conspiracy and, unlike our illicit drug problems, we will always be an island of PE virtue as our sporting stars get richer.All this while every single country with similarly high disposable income and a sports culture get inundated by better organized and more sophisticated drug cheats.

The other piece of dangerous lunacy being put out there by Hadley and co is that it requires absolute legal certianty to show a problem exists and that acres of circumstantial evidence via taps etc should be disregarded as if it didnt exist i.e no conviction,no problem.This is an area where history has proved it is notoriously difficult to get a criminal conviction or a drugs suspension even while Rome has burned to the ground in cycling ,athletics etc.Even if it is difficult to prosecute the perpetrators this should not stop us from doing our best to set up better systems.Our future systems should be where success or failure is judged,not the number of scalps collected over the next few months-unfortunatley you can already see the near sighted fools preparing the headlines.

The rest of the world couldnt give a toss ,our fans should know it is a problem going forward and they should want the authorities to do their best to stem the tide and reject the head in the sand fools in our mainstream media-but in the end they will want to watch the footy regardless just like every sports mad country.

Those of us that enjoy watching Sports are all descendants of the crowd at the Colosseum.:D

The anticipation of a fair contest is paramount.

But, in such a physical team sport, what the participants do to their physique is of no interest to me. The strongest guy could be the first one to tear an ACL or drop the ball etc. Even a Team of HULKS would be disadvantaged by their lack of agility.

But match fixing or tanking(feel for the AFL Fans) would have me leave RL for good.:mad:

Lets hope that the ACC gets onto exotic bets ASAP.

So far it seems that Danks is the Great Satan according to the ACC, and any association with him has NRL and AFL on a hit list :dodgy:

The person most worried about what others think of him is the weakest.

So is the country.

Those who take on the thoughts of Hadlee, Kent, etc are weakening this country.

Rex said:
The person most worried about what others think of him is the weakest.

So is the country.

Those who take on the thoughts of Hadlee, Kent, etc are weakening this country.

So if people happen to dislike Hadley but also happen to agree with his viewpoint on a given subject matter, are they also weakening this country, Rex?
Why is it that the regular Joes out there are ruining the country? Aren't the present mob in Parliament already doing that for us?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4