Question. In trial matches are players playing for a first grade spot?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
Because if that's the case, what happened last night?
Options: 1. The coach & players didn't take it seriously and saw it as a hit out, nothing more. Which makes me wonder why the sharks seemed to take it seriously and in the process thrash us. OR 2. We blew it and aren't fit enough mentally or physically.
I know and I'll wait for the "expected" response: It's only a trial and it doesn't matter.
Maybe.

Sharks need to build some confidence and momentum, so congratulations to them for taking it so seriously. But, as you'll see from every other trial, it is simply to identify new talent and get the players fitter.
I see that Penrith couldn't beat Ipswich, then again, Ipswich would have taken it much more seriously.
Let Cronulla get excited about their prospects for the season. I'd rather they do well than many other opposition clubs.

Out of curiosity, how many regular first grader's played?? A news article I just read through stated we were at "near full strength"??

Quote: Boasting a new-look side featuring recruits Issac De Gois, Ben Ross and Bryce Gibbs, the Sharks’ full-strength side scored 22 second-half points against a near premiership-strength Sea Eagles out-fit to give their fans hope this year.Beginning life without Des Hasler, it was a sobering night for the Sea Eagles, who could not even manage a second-half point. /Quote

What worries me IMMENSELY is the story I've just read. The Dogs win their trial with Des credited as being the master behind the scenes, orchestrating even a poxy trial win. The spin begins.

bazeagle said:
What worries me IMMENSELY is the story I've just read. The Dogs win their trial with Des credited as being the master behind the scenes, orchestrating even a poxy trial win. The spin begins.

Don't sweat it. Hasler will rue the day he left, as will the Dishlickers in buying him.

Greenberg's Mossad cover is almost blown anyway and he will be deported very shortly.

We were hardly at full strength as our entire back row was not there as were some others. It seemed to me that we were just blowing some cobwebs. I didn't like the score line either, but it really was only a trial. No one would want to get hurt with the WCC just ahead.

1st half on Darcy played.
2nd half we were missing choc and rose for all star, and T Rew, Wolfie and Joe G who are being rested.
I think tooves just saw it as a practice and was just having a hit out and a chance to look at some of the young guys in the 1st half to see who might get a trip to UK.

Exactly DSM5. It's called a trial for a reason. To field a full strength, or near full strength side at this time of year is pointless. Trials are more about seeing what the young blokes have to offer and how willing they are. It's the height of depth perception.

mickyj said:
2nd half we were missing choc and rose for all star, and T Rew, Wolfie and Joe G who are being rested.
I think tooves just saw it as a practice and was just having a hit out and a chance to look at some of the young guys in the 1st half to see who might get a trip to UK.
T Rew? If he is any where near as good as T Rex we are going to have an awesome back row !!!

Manly Daly said:
mickyj said:
T Rew? If he is any where near as good as T Rex we are going to have an awesome back row !!!
TRew dat!

Toovey may be debuting as an NRL head coach but he knows exactly what's what. We are facing a very, very long season - much longer than the likes of Cronulla. Toovey has an eye on the bigger picture, which I take as a very good sign.

Trials are first & foremost for coaches.

Given that we have a hard road ahead this season.....especially the first handful of rounds away, Toovs will have an eye on what talent might be able to slot in when we need to rest key personnel.

bazeagle said:
Because if that's the case, what happened last night?
Options: 1. The coach & players didn't take it seriously and saw it as a hit out, nothing more. Which makes me wonder why the sharks seemed to take it seriously and in the process thrash us. OR 2. We blew it and aren't fit enough mentally or physically.
I know and I'll wait for the "expected" response: It's only a trial and it doesn't matter.
Maybe.

Baz - I agree when I heard the scoreline my heart stopped, what thrashed by the Sharks - wtf.
But then thinking about it Manly are a winning team, with combinations formed - so what more needs to be perfected - and facing the WCC in the wake, why would they risk fatigue and injuries in a trial at Toyota Park. I don;t think it was complacency or a bad attitude I think it was more a hit out for self preservation.;)

If trials were a true indicator Manly would have struggled in 2008/11 whilst Sharks, Parra, Titans & Raiders would have battled for the premiership instead of the spoon in recent years.
The starting 13 is basically done so its only the 14 -17 imo thats open with the current squad.
The player who could get a shot is Riccardi who was 1 of the only Manly players to get an honourable mention in this trial.
The only game I'm concerned in prior to the 2012 season is the WCC.

If trial form was a guide to anything then north sydney would have won fifty premierships.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7