Public Contract Values

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
I am on the fence with this one

What do you think about making player contracts public (we all know, much like a draft the chance of this happening are next to zero)

I think it is the MLB / NFL that do it....If nothing else it would appease fans...

Thoughts?

I don't know what it achieves ?? As long as a club is under the salary cap then who cares. I don't get this obsession with what players are getting paid. They get paid what they are able to negotiate, nothing more, nothing less. Whether they are worth that is entirely up to the club willing to fork out the agreed amount.

The only advantage with publicising the amounts is that it might take some of the wind out of the player managers sails.

I don't really care that much. Why are fans so interested in business dealings of clubs and players.

Tip. If you spend all day wondering how close your team is to the salary cap you need to get the **** out and get a life.

For mind i am not fussed but am sick of the threads where everyone speculates on a contract value...hopefully this would stop it

I cant see how this could be good for team harmony, at the end of the day how would we all feel if our incomes were published, and thats the answer

Most people's salaries are public knowledge. I think it would go towards making the cap ludicrously transparent (see above). You'd have to take into account mum's houses in England though.

Chip and Chase said:
I don't know what it achieves ?? As long as a club is under the salary cap then who cares. I don't get this obsession with what players are getting paid. They get paid what they are able to negotiate, nothing more, nothing less. Whether they are worth that is entirely up to the club willing to fork out the agreed amount.

The only advantage with publicising the amounts is that it might take some of the wind out of the player managers sails.

Completely agree.

Rather than making actual salaries public, I've long thought that the salary cap should be points based rather than monetary based. As part of the independent commission, thee could be a salary or points committee, whose responsibility it would be to assign each player a points value.

I think this could stop all the insinuation over who is over or under the cap. Also, if the player points values weren't released for the following season until July 1, or even after the GF, it would help with the problem of players signing elsewhere early in the season as clubs couldn't be sure of fitting them in their cap. Bring in discounts for juniors and long-serving players as well. Players also then have the ability to earn as much as the market dictates, which may help negate any restriction of trade issues that many have suggested could arise if a player decided to challenge the current system.

There's probably issues with this that I haven't considered, but I've thought about this for a while and believe it would be a better system than the present one.

No bloody way !

The income details of a player or any member of the general public for that matter should always be private.

So we are all in agreement?

Can everyone now stop posting their bloody endless speculation over cap amounts???

To me the 'how would we like it if our salaries are public knowledge" line doesn't work with me. There salaries are in the papers all the time and may not be 100% accurate but most of the time reasonably close so what's the difference in it been official? They say that players don't discuss salaries between each other but they would have a fair idea what other players are on. It works in major sports leagues in the States and helps with the salary cap policing also.

They aren't normal employees like most fans and they work in a environment which has a salary cap which needs policing and i think this would help in that regard, you still wouldn't know full incomes( sponsorships, 3rd party agreements) as they are outside the cap but are approved by NRL.

Don't agree with points system either because something that Steve Matai has done with taking less $$$ because of different factors would not be taken into account under that kind of system

The problem I have with the points system is I can foresee the day where player X will have their base value increased due to rep duties. This results in either (a) coaches/clubs being forced into the position where they actively make decisions against player X becoming a rep player, or (b) player X being forced to leave a club due to increased cap points bursting the ceiling, as a result of a teams good form.

I don't care who's on what. I just want the team and club to succeed. Who gets what, should stay that way.

No - All contracts should be done through the teams involved and the NRL should make all payments. That way nothing should be paid by the clubs..

I don't care to find out pay amounts but maybe interesting to read the clauses:
- get out clauses
- discipline
- benefits

Would make interesting reading.

Bet rose has a no shirt off clause, matai has anyone else in the team gets corn rows then I'm out clause, snake has a mention gallop after a loss and I walk clause etc

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4