Prophecies from the Penninsula

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Prophecies from the Penninsula
Written by: Benjamin Pope
Mar 21, 2011 10:10am
http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20626

When evaluating the chances of the Sea Eagles for the 2011 season, three big questions surfaced, the first about the quality of the halves pairing, the second about the depth (or lack thereof) of the playing roster, and the third about returning champion fullback, Brett Stewart.

Yesterday, against the Roosters at the Sydney Football Stadium, the Sea Eagles went a long way to answering those questions.

The halves…

Rookie halfback Daly Cherry-Evans has had a reasonable entrance in to the top grade, there have been hiccups, but his kicking game has improved as the minutes have ticked by, he is distributing the ball where it needs to go, and the two nervous handling errors from his debut were nowhere to be seen against the Roosters.

With Jamie Lyon out with a hamstring injury, Cherry-Evans took over the stressful job of goal kicking and left the ground with a perfect record, proving he has a bit of composure about him, and the 30 metre field goal he produced in the dying seconds of the match showed a little bit of cheekiness, a quality all decent halfbacks possess.

Kieran Foran stamped himself on this game, in fact, he stamped himself on the NRL with his performance yesterday, Manly fans have been praising the 20 year old for some time, and yesterday he finally delivered on his potential.

With the game still in the balance, Foran took it upon himself to take the young and willing Manly side by the scruff of the neck and drag them to victory.

First he scored the try that took Manly to the lead for the third and final time, and then it was his defence that came to prominence.

Several big hits boosted the adrenaline of the men around him and the Sea Eagles went about bashing the Roosters in to submission for the final 15 minutes of the game, the intensity showed in that short time was a glimpse of the Manly sides of 2007-08. It was great to watch and would have sent shivers down the spine of onlooking rivals.

Foran is a true leader and a star of our game, his performance yesterday confirmed it, Manly need to lock him up long term, as quickly as possible.

Depth…

With so many players out for yesterdays clash, Manly's depth was going to be utilised much earlier in the season than expected, the question can be pushed aside for now; the Sea Eagles have proven they have quality in their ranks. Des Hasler, Noel Cleal and the rest of the recruitment team have done all the right things.

Will Hopoate made his first appearance in the centres and did not look out of place, a lot of traffic was directed his way and he handled it well, he also made over 100 metres with the ball in hand, it was a good sign for Manly officials who will be desperate to find a permanent spot in the top 17 for him over the next 12 months to keep him at the club.

Two players made their debuts from the bench, Tim Robinson and Daniel Harrison, and along with two other relatively unknown forwards, Vic Mauro and Jamie Buhrer, the quartet all made quality contributions.

Buhrer in particular has been tremendous in these first two games of the season, he's a tireless worker, exactly the type that would have Des Hasler swooning, and he has cemented his place in this side.

Stewart…

Brett Stewart was named captain for yesterday's game, it was a great move by Des Hasler, he could have named Brent Kite or Matt Ballin and nobody would have queried it.

Stewart's confidence most likely was given a boost by the honour when he most needed it, with the performance making it all the more sweet.

Like Cherry-Evans, Stewart has been getting better as the minutes tick by, he set up the first try yesterday drifting across field before turning it inside to Tony Williams to fall over the line and he has been like a bloodhound sniffing for offloads around the ruck, however, the most impressive aspect of his return has been his defence and ability to defuse the ball, whether it be in the ground or in the air, the fearlessness and instinct he had two years ago is still there and serving Manly well.

Stewart makes his long anticipated return to Brookvale next week, his favourite place to be, he always has a knack for doing something special on the big occasions at Brookie so don't be surprised if he scores a double.

It's amazing what can happen in a week of rugby league, last weekend Manly fans had their heads down with little optimism, this week they will be strutting down The Corso with their heads held high. I can't wait to see what happens next week.

Watched the highlights again and Bhurer reminds me of a shorter smaller menzies, and it isn't just the head gear. He has good footwork and works non-stop

Actually it was Snake, not Cherry, that turned the ball inside for TRex, but a good story and great read nonetheless.

And agree Dan, for mine Buhrer was clearly MOM until Foran stamped himself on the game.

The match clearly showed that reputations mean nothing. An enthusiastic player on debut will overcome a champion resting on his laurels.
Look how Inglis is playing for Souths!
Enthusiasm is the key ingredient for all teams.The difficulty is in maintaining it during a long season.
I want to give a wrap to Vic Mauro who doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the numerous praiseworthy performances yesterday. He seems to be regarded as a reserve-grader but he was terrific yesterday. Jack Gibson used to pick these small, unheralded forwards because of their workrate. Easts' pack was huge, yet our smaller forwards overcame them.
If the players give us this kind of commitment week in week out we'll all be happy, regardless if they don't win the match.

The Rorters pack lacked heart.  All men much bigger than ours, but when it came to the gritty stuff, we were so much better.  We had the strength to came back each time we fell behind.  When it mattered most, they didn't and couldn't.  We didn't let them.  That told the story. 

only issue I have with this article is that they aren't really prophecies so despite the alliteration the title is misleading

Barry Hyland link said:
I want to give a wrap to Vic Mauro who doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the numerous praiseworthy performances yesterday. He seems to be regarded as a reserve-grader but he was terrific yesterday. Jack Gibson used to pick these small, unheralded forwards because of their workrate. Easts' pack was huge, yet our smaller forwards overcame them.
If the players give us this kind of commitment week in week out we'll all be happy, regardless if they don't win the match.

Vic Mauro, yes.  Fantastic game, and he silenced preconceptions that he wasn't first grade standard.  The write-ups about his good form in the trials was accurate.  Mobile, high work rate forwards suit the current game.

Another one to stand out against the preconceptions was Joe Galuvao.  He was supposed to be too old, too slow, but he was our most direct hard yards man.  Outstanding and played with the energy of a pup.

Dan link said:
Watched the highlights again and Bhurer reminds me of a shorter smaller menzies, and it isn't just the head gear. He has good footwork and works non-stop

He is going to be great based his first 2 games this year.  He also showed a little of this form against the Queens in the semi last yr.  Many thought he is too small, no impact etc.  I think some of the posters need to learn to trust Dessies judgement and give players a bit of time.

DSM5 link said:
The Rorters pack lacked heart.  All men much bigger than ours, but when it came to the gritty stuff, we were so much better.  We had the strength to came back each time we fell behind.   When it mattered most, they didn't and couldn't.  We didn't let them.  That told the story.  

Every time the Rorters tried to lift the Eagles lifted another cog, and that's one of the first times that this has hapened in quite some time...when we looked to be out on our feet yesterday someone took the bit between their teeth and charged ahead, or made a great tackle....great stuff and very motivating not only for the fans but the players as well.

I'm not getting carried away just yet, the Roosters' completion rate was woeful. I will admit some of that was due to good defence on our part, but a lot of it was just plain errors. We won't get that sort of leg up every week. Great effort for our guys nonetheless, but need to keep a bit of perspective..........possession is the master of the game these days.

I will say that I was a bit concerned about our depth this year in the forwards, but yesterday showed that we have some reasonable coverage there. Buhrer looks like he has a bit to offer and might be another Gift as he fills out. Harrison was good and I liked how he wasn't overawed and stood up to Ryles.

Our completions weren't that great either.

What was irking me was that 80% of their dropped balls were called a strip, even though they looked to be clean drops (I thought the onus was on the ball carrier this year) but we didn't get any stripping penalties, they were all classed as drops.

Verrrry frustrating.

But our handling still needs some work

Mark from Brisbane link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=187009.msg325669#msg325669 date=1300669686]
The Rorters pack lacked heart.  All men much bigger than ours, but when it came to the gritty stuff, we were so much better.  We had the strength to came back each time we fell behind.   When it mattered most, they didn't and couldn't.  We didn't let them.  That told the story.  

Every time the Rorters tried to lift the Eagles lifted another cog, and that's one of the first times that this has hapened in quite some time...when we looked to be out on our feet yesterday someone took the bit between their teeth and charged ahead, or made a great tackle....great stuff and very motivating not only for the fans but the players as well.
[/quote]

I honestly thought after the rorters try just after 1/2 time,that the floodgates would open.To the teams credit they dug deep and ground it out.I don't think anyone is happy with losses,but if we play like that all year,and lose a couple by 2 or 4 playing like that,it a)sets up a possible tilt at this year,and b)sets us up VERY nicely for next year.

If we play like that every game, with that much heart then I will be stoked. I expected us to lose by 10, but to win by 11 was just awesome

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8