Problems for next week

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Heard on footy show earlier that Matai will be out for 2-6 weeks, and there is doubt on Menzies and Orford for next week. If all 3 miss out where do we go with team selections ?

4. Lyon 6. Burns 7. Monaghan 9. Ballin may be 1 or we could see something like 4. Hicks 6. Lyon 7. Burns and a PL player to the wing

I would take option 1 i think, however we would struggle to jag a win i think

9. Balin / Dunley
7. Monaghan
6. Burns
5. Hicks
4. Lyon
3. Bell
2. Robo
1. Stewart

We don't have to worry so much about beavers injury because watmough will be back next week and he'll cover for him.

We really do have a lot of flexibility in the back line.

If those injuries had have hit or forward though, I would probably wave goodbye to the next month of football.

After the game at the club was talking to Bell, the Stewart boys, they suggested that Groom may be on the bench and given a go at half at some time into te game. Fair dinkum Bells head was a shocker after the game, 6 stiches to right eyes and 4 on top of his head. Everyone was talking about Lyon and where will he play.... Des was totally wrapped in Burns's performance and I think he won his spot back, with Lyon in the centres, and Matai to share Beavers lock spot. As season sponsor for the #12 position.... how good was Glen Stewart...

Lyon is a better center anyhow. I think Matai has the skill and size to play lock.

Burns definatly deserves to be out 5/8th no questions asked.

Stevie, you said it, Matai is crap, has been crap for seasons and as he still rushes out of the line, misses tackles and puts pressure on his outside men, will always be crap. I'd love to see him join Dunley in the toilet. SELL HIM IMMEDIATELY.

Bell was wearing a head guard so why did his head look so bad? I thought those things protected the mellon

Stevie, you said it, Matai is crap, has been crap for seasons and as he still rushes out of the line, misses tackles and puts pressure on his outside men, will always be crap. I'd love to see him join Dunley in the toilet. SELL HIM IMMEDIATELY.

I just thank god that a muppet like yourself isnt in charge of recruitment or running the club. We would have stuff all players left. Matai was our best player, along with Kite, in the final 6 weeks of last years campaign, and you would ship in out after 8-9 mins last night. Burns wouldnt be around after some of last seasons efforts, you would have been after him for his mouth or tackling efforts

[quote author=DSM5]

I just thank god that a muppet like yourself isnt in charge of recruitment or running the club. We would have stuff all players left. Matai was our best player, along with Kite, in the final 6 weeks of last years campaign, and you would ship in out after 8-9 mins last night. Burns wouldnt be around after some of last seasons efforts, you would have been after him for his mouth or tackling efforts

[/quote]

I agree kiwi, Matai was our best back in the second half of the season last year. One poor misread doesn't mean he should be "Sold"

As i said in a different thread.. i'm happy for Matai to stay... i just don't know where to put him.

Burnsy deserves 5/8th

Maybe Matai to go on the bench and fill in for backrow and outside backs or something.. i don't know.. glad i'm not coach at the moment cuz i can't think of what to do... I want Matai in the team but can't put him anywhere.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Bell
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Chris Hicks
06. Travis Burns
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monoghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Steve Menzies
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Steve Matai
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Glenn Hall/Luke Williamson

Perhaps??

if matai,orford and beaver are out at liechardt against the tigers it wont matter who they pick unfortunately.

lyon must be given another few go at 5/8.to dump him after 1 game is ridiculous(just as ridiculous as getting rid of a kiwi international aftre 12 minutes)he is a champion player and should adapt. at 6.remember all the lockyer baggers at 5/8.inglis trial form at 6 was ordinary but he was good friday night.give lon time surely.

i love burns but he is too limited to be a top class 5/8.

if matai,orford and beaver are out at liechardt against the tigers it wont matter who they pick unfortunately.

lyon must be given another few go at 5/8.to dump him after 1 game is ridiculous(just as ridiculous as getting rid of a kiwi international aftre 12 minutes)he is a champion player and should adapt. at 6.remember all the lockyer baggers at 5/8.inglis trial form at 6 was ordinary but he was good friday night.give lon time surely.

i love burns but he is too limited to be a top class 5/8.

I would say that Orford is the only critical concern out of the three mentioned. Fact is Mattai is covered for well by Lyon and the backrow of Willow, G Stewart performed well enough to match the Tigers. Add the return of Watmough and i dont think we have a big problem losing Beaver.

If we lose Orford its a whole other ball game.

agree about orford being the abolute key.however unlike some i saw little on saturday re the forwards that inspired me to think we will be ok against the tiges with beaver out(or in for that matter although choc will help for sure)

they were adequate at best in a very ordinary match.not saying they wont improve but they have to lift a lot on saturday night and a big day at liechardt should be enough to fire the boys up.i just hope they go with burns at 7 and not monaghan-he is too slow and still cant pass the opposite way and every side knows it.keep him in the middle of the ruck defending tough and put hicks at 4 with bani on the wing.

its always hard to tell, you can only play against the 13 players standing opposite you and they covered that confortably, positives are that stewy 2 and king were the better forwards out there, not the other way around.

I watched the game again & have to say im not pessimistic about the forwards. While the forwards wern't overly dominating, they were more consistent than in previous years early rounds.

They held the pill, made better metres & missed less tackles than ive seen previously. I think on a dry track and knowing they have a much more nimble Tigers pack to deal with + second hitout, they will handle it OK. Although we need one less prop (Bryant or Rose) on the bench and one more 2nd rower, for this game.

But yes, Monas as the playmaker is a big problem. Showed again Sat that he stifles the attack especially in opp 20) by overreading/overthinking the play. Always ends up in a stutter to the play putting everyone (our team lol) in 2 minds.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4