Preliminary Blues Squad Announced

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The selection of the 12/13 forwards for NSW will be interesting. I welcome your thoughts:
Hookers: Cook, McInnes
Props: Safiti, Haas, RCG, Jnr Paulo (Jake?)
2nd rowers: Frizzel, Cordiner, Crighton, Murray
Lock: Jake, Yeo
Not sure what Finucane's injury status is but he may come into calculations.

If Cordner gets another head knock in the semis I can see him pulling out. Matterson was 18th or 19th man last year wasn't he ?? so he'd be a chance for a backrow spot.

Maybe Nathan Brown ? he has that high energy game that suits Origin. He could play lock and Jake could go into prop rotation.

I was actually surprised that Freddy left out Klemmer. I don't rate RCG or Paulo as being that much better, so his experience would be handy

The selection of the 12/13 forwards for NSW will be interesting. I welcome your thoughts:
In case of injuries in the remaining finals, I think Freddy will have till @ 20 October to select players overlooked thus far, e.g. Vaughn, Klemmer, Pearce, W. Graham. At this stage, it is hard to predict the 17 for Game One, but I think form in the GF will be a big factor. The most contentious positions are front row, right centre & right wing. Here are the players likely still in the mix.

Forwards
RCG, Paulo, Matterson, Brown, Murray, Cooke, A. Crighton, Cordner, Martin, Yeo, Koroisau, Finucane (injured?)

Backs
Gutherson, C. Graham, C. Walker, Cotric, Tedesco, Keary, Addo-Carr, Papenhuyzen, S. Crichton, Cleary, Luai, B. Morris (retired from rep football?)

On the bench, I doubt Freddy will select a back as utility. More likely Murray for this role, then A. Crichton edge, Yeo or Finucane edge/middle plus another prop.

Last edited:
In case of injuries in the remaining finals, I think Freddy will have till @ 20 October to select players overlooked thus far, e.g. Vaughn, Klemmer, Pearce, W. Graham. At this stage, it is hard to predict the 17 for Game One, but I think form in the GF will be a big factor. The most contentious positions are front row, right centre & right wing. Here are the players likely still in the mix.

Forwards
RCG, Paulo, Matterson, Brown, Murray, Cooke, A. Crighton, Cordner, Martin, Yeo, Koroisau, Finucane (injured?)

Backs
Gutherson, C. Graham, C. Walker, Cotric, Tedesco, Keary, Addo-Carr, Papenhuyzen, S. Crichton, Cleary, Luai, B. Morris (retired from rep football?)

On the bench, I doubt Freddy will select a back as utility. More likely Murray for this role, then A. Crichton edge, Yeo or Finucane edge/middle plus another prop.
Is Api eligible to play SOO? He has represented Fiji, but I'm not sure if that matters.

Is Api eligible to play SOO? He has represented Fiji, but I'm not sure if that matters.
You can represent Tier 2 nations internationally and still play Origin. So that's basically any other international team bar England and New Zealand.

You can represent Tier 2 nations internationally and still play Origin. So that's basically any other international team bar England and New Zealand.
So we'll see more Tongans, Samoans and PNG players in both teams in the years ahead.
Is anyone surprised that Aladdin wasn't picked for NSW?

So we'll see more Tongans, Samoans and PNG players in both teams in the years ahead.
Is anyone surprised that Aladdin wasn't picked for NSW?
Here's an article that goes into a bit more depth about the eligibility rules and discussions around possible changes. Guys like AFB and Taumalolo are ineligible because they made the choice to represent NZ at international level, before going on to swear allegiance to Tier 2 nations like Tonga.

‘Carried on like a sour tart’: Why Fittler dropped Klemmer
NEW SOUTH WALES
GEORGE CLARKE
October 7, 2020 2:35am

Axed Blues prop David Klemmer was dropped from Brad Fittler’s end-of-season Origin squad due to how he carried himself upon his recall to last year’s NSW outfit, it has been claimed.
The Knights prop was not named in Fittler’s preliminary group on Sunday along with Cronulla’s Wade Graham.

But speaking on NRL360 on Fox League, The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent said that the reason for Klemmer’s omission was due to the way he behaved last year.

A wrist injury ruled him out of game two and he was not included in the 17 for game two. Klemmer only returned for the series decider after Tariq Sims was banned.

And it is his behaviour around that time which is thought to have led to his omission by Fittler this year.

“Klemmer didn’t get picked because he carried on like a sour tart last year,” Kent said.

“Last year he didn’t get picked, then he was brought back in.

“Now the problem was they sat there and he sulked a bit in camp, one word answers. Yes, no, moped around.

“When the NSW brains trust sat down this year, they said this isn’t like other Origin series because we go into camp for game one and don’t go home until after game three.

“They sit there and thought given how he behaved in camp last year – how are we going to get on if he carries on like this if he doesn’t get picked in the first game?

“Then we’ve got to drag him through games two and three.

“They don’t want his negativity affecting the mood in camp. There were plenty of players who missed out on tours because the coach thought how the hell am I going to deal with it if one player gets a headache, we’ve all got to take a panadol.”

• 📚
Reactions: R3
NSW seems to have plenty of left side centre, wing options.... I assume Addo-Carr and Wighton will get the spots....
Who will play right centre and wing are the big questions... I can’t see them asking Crichton to play on the right (he looks far more suited to the left like Wighton) in Origin... I wonder if they would consider Gutherson at right centre... I would probably back him to do a better job than Lomax, plus it gives you more cover with his versatility.

With the Roosters & Eels eliminated, I suggest at least 8 more players will be selected in the 27 man squad. This would bring the total number of players selected to 14.

Roosters
Tedesco, Keary, Cordner, A. Crichton - not sure if Tupou or the Morris boys have made themselves available

Eels
Paulo, RCG, Matterson, Gutherson - plus maybe Brown

A further 12-13 players would need to be selected from the Raiders, Storm, Souths & Panthers.

There seems so few spots left already?

the last remaining teams might get a couple of players in at the rate:whew:

reminds me of Loz’s famous ‘he’s in the mix’

Regardless of the final squad it’s going to be tough to choose between Whighton, Walker and Keary for the 6 jersey.
All great form and big game players this year. Go the Blues!!

With the Roosters & Eels eliminated, I suggest at least 8 more players will be selected in the 27 man squad. This would bring the total number of players selected to 14.

Roosters
Tedesco, Keary, Cordner, A. Crichton - not sure if Tupou or the Morris boys have made themselves available

Eels
Paulo, RCG, Matterson, Gutherson - plus maybe Brown

A further 12-13 players would need to be selected from the Raiders, Storm, Souths & Panthers.
Brown played himself out of contention surely

Regardless of the final squad it’s going to be tough to choose between Whighton, Walker and Keary for the 6 jersey.
Whighton will be picked as a centre.
I think Walker has the nod over Keary who needs a long rest to recover from his head knocks.

I think Wighton will play left centre, and Gutherson will play right centre. Papenhuyzen to play fullback if Tedesco is injured.

- not sure if Tupou or the Morris boys have made themselves available
When questioned during the week, Josh Morris said he's not interested in playing Origin as he's sick of being in the bubble and wants to spend time with his family and friends.

Contrast that with the reaction by Lomax when named in the Blues squad! Its a no brainer which centre you'd have in the team.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4