PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Warriors v Manly [Round 5, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
TODAY WE GET RID OF THE SPOON!

If Manly only lose by 10 and Bulldogs + Cowboys lose by 28, we are "off and away" up the ladder.
Better yet - if we win by 30 and the Tigers lose by 30 (to the Cowboys...lol) then we will scale up the ladder to ..... =14th with the Tigers on For/Against. (as Cowboys winning by 30 will still have them above us)

In summary, best we can hope for this round is 14th on the ladder, if we win. (Mathematically, we could win 40-0 and the Cowboys win 22-0 and we end up in 13th...mathematically...even bigger lol)

Gotta start somewhere I guess? Go hard Manly!

It’s not the last 5, it’s only having beaten the Bulldogs in FIFTEEN GAMES.

This is my 58th year ( but in reality probably 50 years of serious following ) and I can never ever remember a darker time.
Oh I can recall much much darker times with the Northern Eagles and then the Barrett years. I never believed he had any idea on how to turn it around. Not saying it was all his fault but the animals were totally running the zoo then. Des might be rewarding loyalty and being blinded with selections but Des is running this show. I also believe with a clean out at the end of the year which will be massive something we haven't seen for many years that he will have a plan to get us out of this hole.

On a more serious note, this is a super-critical game today.

If we win then we do it without Turbo (and a raft of others). The heads come up slightly and some small measure of belief is restored - that we can win as a team without Turbo.

If we lose though, then when Turbo returns if the miracle of instant success doesn't happen we are well and truly screwed, especially psychologically - other teams will expect to win against us whilst we will expect to lose the moment we get behind.

The mental fragility of this team at present seems really obvious to me, and is extremely unlike Manly teams of old who were renowned for their grit, the backs-to-the-wall, playing the best when under adversity. That carried our 2019 squad to punch well above their weight.

How/when did we lose that? We had it early last year 100% until the first game of the season we actually started favourites in - following the fine win against Canberra, playing the Sharks, where we lost badly.

Can we regain that edge? Time will tell.

One thing that we absolutely need is accountability for poor results. If we keep dropping the ball we need to start dropping the players. If we keep dropping off tackles we need to send them back to Reserve grade to build some confidence again. Reluctance to do this can be construed as Loyalty - but to me it is naivety. Players who don't perform, get dropped, and don't fight their way back to 1st grade through performance are simply not hungry enough.

Long story short, if we win this extremely winnable game, minus Turbo, it might trigger a resurgence of belief and performance in the coming weeks. If we don't then we simply need to start dropping players - and if we can't or won't do that for whatever reason then the fanbase is entitled to be super pissed off.

Oh I can recall much much darker times with the Northern Eagles and then the Barrett years. I never believed he had any idea on how to turn it around. Not saying it was all his fault but the animals were totally running the zoo then. Des might be rewarding loyalty and being blinded with selections but Des is running this show. I also believe with a clean out at the end of the year which will be massive something we haven't seen for many years that he will have a plan to get us out of this hole.
Northern Eagles worse/darker?The bad days were from 2000-04. Upward trajectory from there. Manly have been a basket case since 2015.

The 'Manly Van' was driving around Wyong / Tuggerah this afternoon. Hopefully full of 'lock, stock, and two smoking barrels' boys who are out nobbling the Warriors.

Not ethical, but we may get a win out of it.

Is Braith Anasta one of the fox sports commentators for tonight's game? Him and Cronk are total flogs at commentary.

This is our chance to snare a win and get some confidence back. A few crucial players out for the Warriors. Come on boys rip in!

I see today's game as a win/win tbh. If WE actually win, I'll be happy as will all of you. If on the rare chance #cough we lose - I'll have 40 odd pages of whinin' bitchin' and moanin' about how God awful we are to chuckle about. Go Manly

Last chance saloon to show us what they're made of
Cmon boys do it for the supportaaaaahs.

Honestly , regardless of our ins or outs , if we get thrashed tonight by a cricket score, we are terminal.

I don’t expect a win , but, with the hot ( and cold ) Warriors , and with a few outs in their side , if it’s 52-4 then I think we can just resign ourselves to the fact there is something very very seriously wrong in camp Sea Eagles.

If it’s say a 26-14 loss and they’ve tried hard then that’ll be a sign that despite 5 losses we are at least starting to recover.

Only time will tell.
I could live with 26-10, 26-14 scoreline.

I can't handle another blowout scoreline watching them live would just about be the end for me.

On a more serious note, this is a super-critical game today.

If we win then we do it without Turbo (and a raft of others). The heads come up slightly and some small measure of belief is restored - that we can win as a team without Turbo.

If we lose though, then when Turbo returns if the miracle of instant success doesn't happen we are well and truly screwed, especially psychologically - other teams will expect to win against us whilst we will expect to lose the moment we get behind.

The mental fragility of this team at present seems really obvious to me, and is extremely unlike Manly teams of old who were renowned for their grit, the backs-to-the-wall, playing the best when under adversity. That carried our 2019 squad to punch well above their weight.

How/when did we lose that? We had it early last year 100% until the first game of the season we actually started favourites in - following the fine win against Canberra, playing the Sharks, where we lost badly.

Can we regain that edge? Time will tell.

One thing that we absolutely need is accountability for poor results. If we keep dropping the ball we need to start dropping the players. If we keep dropping off tackles we need to send them back to Reserve grade to build some confidence again. Reluctance to do this can be construed as Loyalty - but to me it is naivety. Players who don't perform, get dropped, and don't fight their way back to 1st grade through performance are simply not hungry enough.

Long story short, if we win this extremely winnable game, minus Turbo, it might trigger a resurgence of belief and performance in the coming weeks. If we don't then we simply need to start dropping players - and if we can't or won't do that for whatever reason then the fanbase is entitled to be super pissed off.
Yep this game if that's a big if turn up with the right attitude I think it's a 50/50 game with the warriors out but if 2021 manly team turn up like they have so far 30 point win by the warriors could very easily be on the cards

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8