PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly vs Storm [Round 1, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
AFB 2-3 seems right....Jake Trob hopeful rd 1, maybe s setback or just being extra cautious due to his importance...will see

Maybe he's a good poker player, but this straight from the horse's mouth

"I'll be back within the first month but it won't be the first round unfortunately," Jake said.

It is a very long and arduous season, and while we want key players like Jake and AFB on deck as much as possible, it is in September that we need them fit and firing. We won't rush either of them, and the side benefit to that is the opportunity and encouragement it gives to guys like Keppie and Guaca to see more action at NRL level, which will also benefit us down the track.
I have no problem with giving them as long as they need. I do wish, though, that they'd had their ops immediately post season rather than playing the meaningless internationals.

I have no problem with giving them as long as they need. I do wish, though, that they'd had their ops immediately post season rather than playing the meaningless internationals.
I too wish they had skipped those internationals but they are hardly meaningless! In fact for the players I'm pretty sure they carry a lot of meaning, and I can certainly understand that. As opposed to a 9s tournament, or trial games.

I too wish they had skipped those internationals but they are hardly meaningless! In fact for the players I'm pretty sure they carry a lot of meaning, and I can certainly understand that. As opposed to a 9s tournament, or trial games.
Absolutely agree about the players. I suspect that for many fans, the internationals are a bit down the list:
1. Club games
2. Origin
3. A bunch of stuff on Netflix
4. I’m a Celebrity, Dance Me Outta Here.
5. The internationals.

Missing players like Jake & AFB for the first couple of rounds is far better than them coming back too early and being out for a further extended period. This gives the young players pushing for a start a real opportunity and we have good depth in the forwards. I’m relieved Des is not risking DCE, Turbo, Walker or Garrett this weekend. Trials are all about looking at where players are at and giving up comers a shot. Good luck to all of the boys playing tomorrow night. Play well and stay healthy. My tip for a bolter into the 17 is Edwin. He showed some glimpses of brilliance in the nines and I would like to see home in tandem with Levi.

Jack Gosiewski has stopped running due to a rare infection found in one of the discs operated on in his back. The second-rower is unlikely to play in the first month of the season.
Oh crap... That's not good!
After the trial today Keppie needs to be in the 17.. he played 13 so I'd imagine he'd be playing there for jake and Waddell on the bench for jetsKi

Here how I say will be round 1
Turbo, Jorge, parker, suli, garrick, walker, dce, Marty, levi, sipley, thommo, sironen, keppie.
Bench - wadell, gucamole, boyle, cust/croker.

Any one got info on trex not in yesterday game.
That will be pretty close I reckon

Wont happen, but I think I would have Schuster on the bench rather than Croker or Cust. I know he's new and needs to find his feet, but he has the skills to change a game, either in the forwards or the backs. After that trial its obvious he can handle the big boys. Depends of course if he is included in the 30. But I say why wait?

Wont happen, but I think I would have Schuster on the bench rather than Croker or Cust. I know he's new and needs to find his feet, but he has the skills to change a game, either in the forwards or the backs. After that trial its obvious he can handle the big boys. Depends of course if he is included in the 30. But I say why wait?
Will Levi play 80 mins though? At this stage I would doubt it. Which means we will need someone who can play there comfortably. So one of Croker/Cust/ZDC/Ipape and maybe even Izzard.
I'd put Cust just in front of ZDC because he gives a bit more versatility (and size). Ipape gives some spark is just too much of a liability for NRL. But it will all really depend on who gets announced in the top 30, but I would definately bump Croker off the list for Schuster.

That will be pretty close I reckon
I can't see how Lance will make the top 17. He must be injured or else he would have played in the trial. And based on last season's form he is not an automatic selection. I would applaud the selection of Guaca who will be a permanent member of the 17 as the season wears on. This kid has sill as well as size.
I think Des will initially go for Croker as a 'safe' bet who covers a variety of positions and is proven.
I can't see us winning many of our early matches but when we get Jake, AFB, Jetski (and hopefully Schuster) into the 17 we'll by a powerhouse team.

I think Des will initially go for Croker as a 'safe' bet who covers a variety of positions and is proven.
He is proven to be limited in attack but he has shown commitment in defence, that should get him over the line with Des, for the early teams anyway.
He made one excellent play in the trial when he kicked and then tackled the guy in goal.

We are in for a huge season. But to be honest I’m not expecting much round one. I think our attack will be clunky with it being Levi’s first game with the rest of the spine. Also having our best two forwards on the sideline (I’d rate jake and addin both slightly ahead of Marty) is going to make hard to be a storm who always seem to find something. Will gladly be wrong :)

After the trial and news of injured players i think the team will be as follows.
1. Turbo
2. Jorge
3. Parker
4. Suli
5. Garrick
6. Walkers
7. Cherry
8. Sipley (he was impressive)
9. Levi (supercoach Smokey?;))
10. Kapow
11. Thommo
12. Siro
13. Keppie (this kid was great in A & D)

14. Croker
15. Guac
16. Boyle
17. Waddell

Come mid season i think Schuster will take crokers bench spot. Croker is solid but he doesn't have any x factor about him... Ben barba started off the bench then went on to be dally m.... in Dessie we trust! Bring on round 1 already faaaaaarrrk

We are in for a huge season. But to be honest I’m not expecting much round one. I think our attack will be clunky with it being Levi’s first game with the rest of the spine. Also having our best two forwards on the sideline (I’d rate jake and addin both slightly ahead of Marty) is going to make hard to be a storm who always seem to find something. Will gladly be wrong :)
Mate I know what you mean but it really depends on how much ball we get. If we starve them of possession we can best them... buuut the refs always help them so... we shall see! I remember a game a few years ago still burns me to this day. Snake was in fire he set up 4 tries in the 1st half but didn't come back in the 2nd.. the ref came out whistle blazing and storm got 5 penalties in a row. Made it even them sCam kicked the winning field goal... a-hole!

Will Levi play 80 mins though? At this stage I would doubt it. Which means we will need someone who can play there comfortably. So one of Croker/Cust/ZDC/Ipape and maybe even Izzard.
I'd put Cust just in front of ZDC because he gives a bit more versatility (and size). Ipape gives some spark is just too much of a liability for NRL. But it will all really depend on who gets announced in the top 30, but I would definately bump Croker off the list for Schuster.

I think Schuster would handle the hooker position like a duck on water. Great passing game, good defence, deceptive running game, great vision. He'd easily outdo Croker or Cust in that position

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8