Potential in the lower grades

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eaglette Fan

Reserve Grader
As a Manly fan living in QLD, I rarely get to see the Manly team play in NSW and Toyota Cup. I was wondering if there are any stand out players in those sides who we can possibly look forward to in the Manly NRL team in the next couple of years? For example, I have read good things about the full back, Jorge Taufua

Welcome Eaglette - Ive seen quite a bit of the 20's and Taufua has potential but his ball handling can let him down at crucial times. Most of our young guys are in the NSW cup team - James Cunningham, Gary Riccardi will probably make their NRL debuts in the next couple of seasons

The way the NRL comp is structured it's difficult following lower grade players. Our reserves, the NSW Cup team, plays in a different comp and matches would be lucky to attract 100 spectators, while the Toyota Cup finishes 40 minutes before first grade starts, so there is 'dead time' and fans just arrive in time to watch the top match.
I have always been against the first grade teams warming up on the field. It never used to happen. To me it is boring and takes away from the excitement of seeing the team run on when it is 'fair dinkum.'
Let the first grade warm up away from the ground, and schedule the Toyota Cup to finish 10 minutes before first grade starts. Better still, bring back reserve grade so that there are three grades playing one after another.

Agree TW - just a shame there isn't enough room in Brookvale 'Park' for them to warm up elsewhere. They used to use St Disgustine's as a warm-up area some years ago.

Benny Shorter is a try scoring machine in NSW cup & may be a better winger than Oldfield. Oldfield has the ability to cover centre & fullback so that may be the reason he got first crack, but don't be surprised to see Ben make his debut next year.

Mitch Jowett is a 2nd rower who seems to have it all. NSW cup always look better with him in the team.

As others have said, Jimmy Cunningham (prop) & Gary Riccardi (half & captain even though he's still young enough for 20's) have 1st grade written all over them.

Special mention to Ray Moujali (forward) & Blake Davey (centre). They trialled strongly & have been up & down in a team with more downs than ups. Both NSW cup.

I have big raps on Liam Higgins (hooker, NSW cup) but either the club don't share my view or he's been injured a lot.

Josh Drinkwater, the 20's halfback looks ok but I haven't seen much 20's this year, others can answer that.

so if there was a talented 19 yo (playing in the backs), would he be better suited in the NSW Cup or Toyota cup??

Brookvale said:
so if there was a talented 19 yo (playing in the backs), would he be better suited in the NSW Cup or Toyota cup??
If good enough should be old enough to play open age. The NSW Cup is definately a stepping stone for players in any position before a transition into the NRL. Problem is even a super talented back will have troubles getting into the Seaeagles top grade - who could you replace??

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6