Possible 5/8 options for Next Year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stiffi

Reserve Grader
So what are our recruitment options @ 5/8 for next year?

Titans - Josh Lewis - Another mid season cast off from the Roosters last year. Seemed to lift the Titans when he arrived and has simply dropped off the radar again. What are people's thoughts on him?

Finch is a half back and nothing more. He struggles when put into number 6 or number 9.

When he is guiding the team by himself he plays a lot better, throw someone else into the mix and he goes missing, or at least makes some woeful mistakes

Josh Lewis would be a top buy. Has a massive boot on him and is a very good ball player. Has a lot of guts but is maybe a little bit too small if i remember correctly.

Dobson is a great attacker & kicker, however his big problem is his defense. He would come cheap as he is out of favour in the Capitol, but would he be worth it with his defence?

Campese would be another decent option, hasn't always a fulltime run in the top squad apart from bits of last year. Depends on how he goes in the first half of this season with Canberra and wether or not they re-sign him.

Another option is either Walsh or Dureaux (spelling?), I know both are half backs but surely one doesn't want to be stuck behind the other & Mullen for the next few years!!

Dobbo's confidence was absolutely gutted by Henry last year.

He's a bloody talented player, but like you said his defence struggles and he needs confidence to be effective. He has no confidence at the moment and you could see by the end of the year that it was having a massive impact on his decision making as well.

willstyles link said:
Dobbo's confidence was absolutely gutted by Henry last year.

He's a bloody talented player, but like you said his defence struggles and he needs confidence to be effective. He has no confidence at the moment and you could see by the end of the year that it was having a massive impact on his decision making as well.

So would you think with a good off-season at Manly and an extended run in first grade he would play to his potential? How would he go at 5/8?
If he performs there until Orford's contract ran out, he could ship into a half back role and hopefully Foran is ready to be a first grade star by then.

What about an english player maybe Leon Price or Danny McGuire, both very good players not sure of their contract status though

How much would they cost though? If we really are signing Tupou we won't have much money left to sign a big name from the UK!!

a decent 5/8 with a good boot will do wonders. Dobson would go well. He can kick goals as well as being the main long range kicker allowing orford to concerntrate on the rest of his game and when orford has less to worry about he defintaly plays a lot better.

As for his defence, it can and i think would improve here and we can always do a brisbane lockyer/carrol with glenn/willo.

Berkeley_Eagle link said:
What about an english player maybe Leon Price or Danny McGuire, both very good players not sure of their contract status though

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, need to think of that.  Really dreaming, and they are poms with no track record in the NRL.  Campo for mine, best option if off contract!!!!!

I honestly believe Dessie wants a Brad Fittler/Braith Anasta type 5/8, a big damaging ball runner who can pass and kick a bit, who that is I don't know though?

Plenty of options, none of them great. Finch would be my pick. Campese goes OK but I haven't seen a lot of him, big boot on him.

Central Coast Eagle link said:
I honestly believe Dessie wants a Brad Fittler/Braith Anasta type 5/8, a big damaging ball runner who can pass and kick a bit, who that is I don't know though?

Jason Wells fits that IMO. Cheap as chips as well.

Wells is not good enough to be a NRL 5/8 from the limited appearances I have seen, I guess I could be wrong though as I have only seen him play maybe 10 or so times.  You seen a bit of him Ryan?

Wells has gone off the boil compared to last year!! He was dynamic but I feel he knows he won't make NRL with Manly, today his defence was sound, looked to offload, put in severla decent kicks, and this from lock, I'm afraid he won't be given a chance but if Orford gets injured, he may get a bench spot

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4