Poor Attacking Structure/Formations Agggggggggaiin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Great effort from the boys the effort for most part of the year has been there and to be honest our lack of success to me boils down to our poor attacking structures and physical make up of the team. To be blunt the players have put in but the coaching side has come up short with ideas and correcting our flaws.

Ill discipline in most parts is a by-product of frustration usually stemming from inefficient go forward at critical times and the poor running lines in attack that have been around Des Haslers teams for the most part of his tenure.

I didn't expect much today and i guess we all watched from the "dare to dream standpoint" but i expected more in terms of not so many one out forward runners.(which to Dessies credit has been his strong point over the years)

Ballin at times needs to shorten his passing game in the red zone too often drifting across and throwing a long deep ball allowing opposing teams to not have to man up through the middle and getting numbers out wide too early. This forces cramped running lines from the outside backs without sucking in defenders or holding up the sliding defence as they keep drifting side ways as a safe option(the only option basically).

Teams tend to slide behind the outside backs up and in lines and will pick off the second man play of Farrar too easily if the inside runners are not holding the slide defence through effective straight hole runners or short passing around the middle of the field.

Next year is a critical year in the coaching career of Des he needs to evolve and freshen up..........

Mate we had one of the better for and against (especially for) records in the comp even with our injurys this year. Poor attacking structures don't get 545 points!!!!

agree entirely.mentioned it a few eeks ago.ballin iether passes long or foran doesnt play square at the line and drifts.farrar or matai always get it on an angle against a sliding defence.you cant use williams in the set plays like today.he just does not think on his feet.

our man task next year is how to score points if stewart is out.i think if we are fit our defence will improve.at the moment we have no variety at all in attack and lack speed,not a good combination.DCE becomes a very important commodity.if he aint up to it creativity may kill us.

We have had alot of disruptions to key players this year, hence our problems in stucture and attack. If we can have a bit more luck in regards to injuries, I think you will see more flair in attack. Where did we finish in points scored this year? from memory we were up near the top. I our atatck wasn't too bad considering. I beleive we need to focus harder on our defence over the summer.  

MPC link said:
I beleive we need to focus harder on our defence over the summer.  

EXACTLY!! We were the forth best attacking side this year!!! Our defense is what has dropped off not our bloody attack. Some people have no clue lol.

Susan your observations on the technical aspects of the game are up their with the likes of geniuses such as myself lol keep up the good comments.

torana355 link said:
[quote author=MPC link=topic=185287.msg293692#msg293692 date=1284280158]
I beleive we need to focus harder on our defence over the summer.  

EXACTLY!! We were the forth best attacking side this year!!! Our defense is what has dropped off not our bloody attack. Some people have no clue lol.
[/quote]

As much as I hate the dragons, that is what they are basing there game around. We are not going to win grand finals on how many points we can score, it's how many we can defend. We didn't offer much in attack today, but that was because we had so many bloody players out. At full strenght we would have won that game.  

Simple minds will read the numbers in attack and defense and come up with simple explanations-----um doh attack is 4th best in comp and against is down near the bottom half of the comp "must fix the leaks"----people look deeper than the obvious not act on simple numbers.

MPC agree a full strength Manly would beat the Dragons but they will make it harder than it should be due to poor structures. Spot the back end of 2008 with shorter balls and more offloads through the middle as a starting point to where we have to get to again.

Technical Coach link said:
MPC agree a full strength Manly would beat the Dragons but they will make it harder than it should be due to poor structures. Spot the back end of 2008 with shorter balls and more offloads through the middle as a starting point to where we have to get to again.

How many points were sored against us in the final series in 08. From memory I think it was 12. Our game was built on defence. Saints showed today if you can defend strongly and frustrate the opposition, the points will come.

Totally agree MPC but defense is built on passion and commitment which will fluctuate all year---attack is class combined with good structures that is always around even when your feeling flat---yes feeling flat can affect your attack also but not to the same extend as commitment to defense. Our go forward and field dominance in 2008 helped our defense more than anything else.

Go through the last 20yrs and its usually the best attacking structure teams that win the comp combined with an effective defense---dont base it on stats alone. Take the best attacking option usually halves and fullbacks out of most teams and watch the defense start to wilt under frustration.

I feel we are one of the worst teams for attacking up the middle.

Ballin just does not run the ball at all anymore and really has gone backwards this year.

We need a skills coach to compliment Des' style of do all the basics right.

agree fluffy.ballin is a good option with a lestrange type as backup.as an 80 minute player we need more from him in attack.

i wouldnt have minded giving farrar a few runs at 9 for 15 minutes or so a match but too late now.

Susan mentioned Higgins. He can't be far off. And the number 6 - Blanch? He showed a bit as well...

Our attack to day was ordinary.  Cramped, slow and predictable.  They worked us out and we just got nowhere doing what we've done all year.  With more speed maybe it would have been a different season.  The Dragqueens didn't have to do much toady to win and what they did show is that they won't win the comp.     

Our main problem is we don't have a second gear in attack. We are pretty one dimensional with no spark off the bench. If Plan A isn't working we don't have a Plan B. I think this is a coaching fault...Des doesn't seem to want to be dynamic and change things around to adapt to the game. He is very conservative and that is reflected in his positional choices and his attacking structure.

Chip & Chase link said:
Our main problem is we don't have a second gear in attack. We are pretty one dimensional with no spark off the bench. If Plan A isn't working we don't have a Plan B. I think this is a coaching fault...Des doesn't seem to want to be dynamic and change things around to adapt to the game. He is very conservative and that is reflected in his positional choices and his attacking structure.

Next season mate, Snake, Wolfie, Shoulders back, Glenn......DCE.......Hoppa....Oldfield.....Buhrer.....the future is bright!!!!!!

DSM5 link said:
Our attack to day was ordinary.  Cramped, slow and predictable.  They worked us out and we just got nowhere doing what we've done all year.  With more speed maybe it would have been a different season.  The Dragqueens didn't have to do much toady to win and what they did show is that they won't win the comp.     
Proof that getting rid of Orford was far from the magic fix to all our attacking deficiencies after all.  ... Despite the relentless zillions of posts by some on that topic, whose names won't be mentioned. :) 

Look forward to your Stewie postings from tomorrow DSM.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6