[poll] Dunley's a happy hooker! Chad or Dunners?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who's the better hooker

• Dunley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Randall

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

byso

First Grader

Dunley's a happy hooker
ADAM LUCIUS
Manly Daily
09mar05
MANLY'S Shayne Dunley will start only his second match in three seasons on Sunday after winning the opening round battle with hooking foe Chad Randall.

Dunley will wear the No 9 against the Warriors when the Sea Eagles begin their 2005 premiership campaign at Ericsson Stadium.

Randall will travel to New Zealand as Manly's 18th man.

It will be just the second time since 2002 that Dunley will be there from kick off.

``I played from the start against Newcastle last year and the year before I played 15 matches off the bench for Parramatta,'' Dunley said yesterday.

``The bench is an important part of the game these days but it's still nice to start a match.''

Discussing his on-going battle with Randall, Dunley said: ``This is just the start.

``We're good mates but there's healthy competition between the two of us and that can only be good for the team.

``It would have been a hard decision for Des (Hasler) to make but it's good to get the nod for the first game.

``It's up to me to stay there now.''

Hasler has gone for his big men in picking a forward pack to match the Steve Price-led Warriors.

Brent Kite and Jason King start in the front row with Steve Menzies, Sam Harris and Ben Kennedy making up the backrow.

In the backs Terry Hill makes his first official appearance in Manly colours since 1999 while Paul Stephenson replaces injured centre Chris Hicks.

``There is no secret the Warriors will play a very physical game and we've got to match them in that department,'' Hasler said.

``The opening will be very important and we've got to stay with them.

``They will be very fired-up for their first match, especially after the year they had last year, but we'll be prepared.''

The Sea Eagles will fly out of Sydney early on Friday morning.

I never used to be a Dunley fan until the trials.

He really impressed me in the tigers game and it shows that he has been working hard on his game.

If Dunley can keep the lid on his stoopid antics I am convinced he is the better of the two adding more variety, unpredictability and better defence. If he has a strong game this week and the following week, I've got a feeling he could cement his position in the starting line-up. My only query is if he will go the full 80 minutes (but that's a question that could be posed of the whole team).

Exactly the way i felt.

I was calling for his head on last years form - as should have most people.

But in the trials it looked like a whole new player. He has obviously decided he wants the top job and has worked very hard on his shortfalls. If everyone put in that much effort over the off season we may be a shot at the 4. But seriously his defece seems solid now and unlike one person in the team he seems to have reformed and has good discipline not giving away a single penalty in the trials.

Add to that his very good ability in attack and good delivery of the ball he is definatly first choice.

Dunley impressed me in the trial I saw. His defence was great, where Chad has had it over him in the past. Hopefully the competition will bring the best out in both!

I reckon Dunley getting the gig will inspire Randall, and by Round 5, Randall will be starting again, if his not "injured" that is.

randall is so far behind dunley he cant see him.his problem is ballin.pretty boy will on the bench for reserves by years end and gone after that.

its a shame because he can play, but its always a good situation to be in when you have several players fighting it out for one position

randall is so far behind dunley he cant see him.his problem is ballin.pretty boy will on the bench for reserves by years end and gone after that.

You saw the trials, I know I didn't, but in year's past, Dunley was nowhere near Randall. Basing everything on trials is a big call. Randall may lack abit of ticker, but in ability based on the past few years, there is seriously no comparison imo.

Dunley has always been sharper in attack. Excellent runner from dummy half.

Pretty boy had him in defence and discipline.

Dunley appears to have fixed those areas.

I'm looking forward to seeing him then, should be very interesting, and of course I hope you are all right about his improvements.

I really hope this is not a 2 off thing. If he goes back to his old ways then he should be cut pretty quickly. There needs to be consequences to build discipline.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4